Sun C Compiler vs. Gnu C Compiler
Author Message
 Sun C Compiler vs. Gnu C Compiler

I'm trying to help a customer use a software package that they bought
from a third party. This package contains (amoung other things) a library
of C functions and the C source code of a program that was supposed to
illustrate use of the library.

When we first tried to use this function library we compiled the example
program and linked it with the library. Upon execution the program
terminated with an illegal instruction fault. Checking with the vendors
of the software package, we eventually received the following response:

  "Our library was compiled with the Gnu C compiler (for Solaris) and you
  [my customer] used the Sun C compiler. That's why it won't work."

My customer is not thrilled with this answer because they use the
Sun-supplied compiler for all of their own development. This leads to the
following questions:
  - In what way are the Gnu C compiler and the Sun C compiler
incompatible?
  - Is there an option or pragma that will allow the Sun C compiler to
call libraries compiled by the Gnu compiler?
  - Or vice-versa? (Assuming we can persuade the vendor to recompile
their library with the Sun compiler, can their other customers access it
from programs compiler with the Gnu compiler?)

Fri, 04 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Sun C Compiler vs. Gnu C Compiler

>  - In what way are the Gnu C compiler and the Sun C compiler
>incompatible?
>  - Is there an option or pragma that will allow the Sun C compiler to
>call libraries compiled by the Gnu compiler?

You questions are highly specific to the Sun platform. I suggest you
ask them in comp.unix.solaris.

Quote:
>  - Or vice-versa? (Assuming we can persuade the vendor to recompile
>their library with the Sun compiler, can their other customers access it
>from programs compiler with the Gnu compiler?)

Usually gcc object files/libraries link link fine to those created by
a system's native compiler.

Sat, 05 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Sun C Compiler vs. Gnu C Compiler

Quote:

>   - In what way are the Gnu C compiler and the Sun C compiler
> incompatible?

In what way does your question relate to the C Programming Language?

      Linux for fun, M$ for $$$...and the NFL for what really counts!

Sat, 05 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

2. Compiler error CS 1595 - Help

3. VS.NET: Adding one .cs file to more then one project

4. Adding cs-files from another directory in VS.NET

5. gcc vs. commercial C compiler (Sun's)

6. How to show/call Form2.cs from Form1.cs ?

7. Include code in other Cs files

9. word - automatic numbering/bold/underline/italics

10. How to Generate .cs file at Runtime

11. newbe/cs student, need help w/ code

12. Serial.cs