Recommend A Good Intermediate to Advanced C Book
Author Message
 Recommend A Good Intermediate to Advanced C Book

Can somebody please recommend a good intermedite to advanced book on c to
me?  Something that starts out with pointers and dynamic memory allocation
in some detail and moves on from there.

Also, a good book on UNIX systems program would also be appreciated.
Thanks.
--
Jonathan Kapleau

Sat, 02 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Recommend A Good Intermediate to Advanced C Book

: Can somebody please recommend a good intermedite to advanced book on c to
: me?  Something that starts out with pointers and dynamic memory allocation
: in some detail and moves on from there.

K N King, C Programming - a Modern Approach covers a lot of territory;
after that you probably want Harbison & Steele, C - A Reference Manual
for reference, and after that the hard-copy C FAQ to fill in the more
obscure corners.  And after that Plauger's The C Standard Library.
Together those mostly cover the standard C territory; if you need more
information, you're into domain-specific knowledge.

BTW, O'Reilly has a couple of books on C programming.  Has anyone
taken a look at them?

: Also, a good book on UNIX systems program would also be appreciated.

Depends on the system - for the fundamentals (it's a very old book)
I like Rochind, Advanced Unix Programming.  Short, well-written, and
very clear.  Otherwise, anything by Richard Stevens.

Will

Sat, 02 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Recommend A Good Intermediate to Advanced C Book

Quote:

> Can somebody please recommend a good intermedite to advanced book on c to
> me?  Something that starts out with pointers and dynamic memory allocation
> in some detail and moves on from there.

Hi Jonathan Kapleau,

This is an excellent introductory book to the ANSI-C language:
  C Programming: A Modern Approach.
  K.N.King.
  W.W.Norton & Company, 1996.
  ISBN 0-393-96945-2

Stephan

Sat, 02 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Recommend A Good Intermediate to Advanced C Book

Quote:

>> Can somebody please recommend a good intermedite to advanced book on c to

                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote:
>> me?  Something that starts out with pointers and dynamic memory allocation
>> in some detail and moves on from there.

>Hi Jonathan Kapleau,

>This is an excellent introductory book to the ANSI-C language:

                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Maybe, but this is not what Jonathan was asking for.

Dan
--
Dan Pop
CERN, IT Division

Mail:  CERN - EP, Bat. 31 1-014, CH-1211 Geneve 23, Switzerland

Sat, 02 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Recommend A Good Intermediate to Advanced C Book

Quote:

>>> Can somebody please recommend a good intermedite to advanced book on c to
>                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> me?  Something that starts out with pointers and dynamic memory allocation
>>> in some detail and moves on from there.

>>Hi Jonathan Kapleau,

>>This is an excellent introductory book to the ANSI-C language:
>                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Maybe, but this is not what Jonathan was asking for.

However, the next sentence asking about pointers and dynamic memory
allocation are relatively fundamental concepts in C, so perhaps
Jonathan really just needs a more comprehensive introductory book.

--

http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~jxh/        Washington University in Saint Louis

Quote:

Sat, 02 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Recommend A Good Intermediate to Advanced C Book
It is good to look books on Data Structure, so you  can understand about
stack, Linklist, queue and others.
Quote:

>Can somebody please recommend a good intermedite to advanced book on c to
>me?  Something that starts out with pointers and dynamic memory allocation
>in some detail and moves on from there.

>Also, a good book on UNIX systems program would also be appreciated.
>Thanks.
>--
>Jonathan Kapleau

Sat, 02 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Recommend A Good Intermediate to Advanced C Book

Quote:

>>                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>>>Hi Jonathan Kapleau,

>>>This is an excellent introductory book to the ANSI-C language:
>>                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>Maybe, but this is not what Jonathan was asking for.

>However, the next sentence asking about pointers and dynamic memory
>allocation are relatively fundamental concepts in C, so perhaps
>Jonathan really just needs a more comprehensive introductory book.

Or he's familiar with pointer basics and he wants a text dealing with
the more esoteric pointer issues.

I'd recommend the c.l.c FAQ.

Dan
--
Dan Pop
CERN, IT Division

Mail:  CERN - EP, Bat. 31 1-014, CH-1211 Geneve 23, Switzerland

Sun, 03 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Recommend A Good Intermediate to Advanced C Book
Here are some book suggestions:

C and Unix : Tools for Software Design
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471309273/iversonsoftwarecA

Data Structures : An Advanced Approach Using C
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0131988476/iversonsoftwarecA

Introductory C : Pointers, Function, and Files
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0125521421/iversonsoftwarecA

Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment (Addison-Wesley
Professional Computing Series)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201563177/iversonsoftwarecA

Advanced Unix Programming
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130118001/iversonsoftwarecA

Unix Systems Programming for Svr4 (Nutshell Handbook)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565921631/iversonsoftwarecA

Have fun, and good luck!

Quote:

>Can somebody please recommend a good intermedite to advanced book on c to
>me?  Something that starts out with pointers and dynamic memory allocation
>in some detail and moves on from there.

>Also, a good book on UNIX systems program would also be appreciated.
>Thanks.

Kind Regards,
Jeff Iverson
--
Iverson Software Co.  507-235-9209 - voice
418 N. State St. #7   507-235-8835 - fax

Sun, 10 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Recommend A Good Intermediate to Advanced C Book

Quote:

> Can somebody please recommend a good intermedite to advanced book on c to
> me?  Something that starts out with pointers and dynamic memory allocation
> in some detail and moves on from there.
> Also, a good book on UNIX systems program would also be appreciated.

_Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets_ by the oracle of Sun, Peter van
der Linden, is a good fit for your needs. It is somewhat Unix-centric
and does cover issues pertaining to pointers quiter well.

- Published by SunSoft Press through Prentice-Hall, ISBN: 0-13-177429-8.

- Presuming your ``C library'' already has the usual suspects (K&R2,
  H&S, Plauger, King and Koenig), this is among the best of the next
  tier.

      http://www.oldradio.com/archives/nelson/open-computing.html
``Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.''

Sun, 10 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Book recommendation (intermediate/advanced)

2. Refresher books for intermediate to advanced C++ devs?

3. Intermediate to Advanced Books

4. intermediate -> advanced C exercises or books

5. Refresher books for intermediate to advanced C++ devs?

6. Refresher books for intermediate to advanced C++ devs?

7. Refresher books for intermediate to advanced C++ devs?

8. Refresher books for intermediate to advanced C++ devs?

9. Could someone recommend an advanced book(s) on C programming

10. Recommended Books on Advance C

11. Recommended books on Advance C

12. Recommend a good C-book for a beginner.