Newbie Need Helps from you C expert !!!
Author Message
 Newbie Need Helps from you C expert !!!

Hello!

I'm starting to take a class in C programming.
One of my projects asks: "design a program which
calculates the number of days between the date
given and XMas day 2005". You folks seem to be
experts in C language, and I hope someone could
help me getting started on this program. Perhaps
a sample source code or pseudocode...Any help
would be appreciated. I am willing to trade
softwares (photoshop 5.5, premier 5.1, office
2000, win me etc...you name it) for your time.

Thanks in advance.
Femmi.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 08 Apr 2003 13:35:39 GMT
 Newbie Need Helps from you C expert !!!

Quote:
>I'm starting to take a class in C programming.

Good.

Quote:
>One of my projects asks: "design a program which
>calculates the number of days between the date
>given and XMas day 2005".

So?

You folks seem to be

Quote:
>experts in C language, and I hope someone could
>help me getting started on this program. Perhaps

Where was you during the class?

Quote:
>a sample source code or pseudocode...Any help
>would be appreciated. I am willing to trade
>softwares (photoshop 5.5, premier 5.1, office
>2000, win me etc...you name it) for your time.

If you want an private expertise, prepare a huge stack of green banknotes,
rather than some miserable and illegal copies of commercial CD.

In other words, do your job. Write a C program. If it does not work, post it
here. In real-life, we will not do your job for you, unless we get your
wages for you...

--
-hs-    Tabs out, spaces in.
ISO-C Library: http://www.dinkum.com/htm_cl

Tue, 08 Apr 2003 14:21:03 GMT
 Newbie Need Helps from you C expert !!!

Quote:

> I'm starting to take a class in C programming.
> One of my projects asks: "design a program which
> calculates the number of days between the date
> given and XMas day 2005". You folks seem to be
> experts in C language, and I hope someone could
> help me getting started on this program. Perhaps
> a sample source code or pseudocode...Any help
> would be appreciated. I am willing to trade
> softwares (photoshop 5.5, premier 5.1, office
> 2000, win me etc...you name it) for your time.

If I'm to help you graduate without taking any trouble for it yourself,
and thus introduce another ill-educated, incompetent programmer to the
market, the very least I would demand for it would be all your
programming wages from the first, oh, forty years or so of your
programming career. Oh, and your first-born.
IOW: do your own damn homework. I did mine; that's how I _became_ (more
or less) expert.

Richard

Tue, 08 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie Need Helps from you C expert !!!
I think, instead of trying to trade your software for our time, you
should trade your time for your software.

Quote:

> > I'm starting to take a class in C programming.
> > One of my projects asks: "design a program which
> > calculates the number of days between the date
> > given and XMas day 2005". You folks seem to be
> > experts in C language, and I hope someone could
> > help me getting started on this program. Perhaps
> > a sample source code or pseudocode...Any help
> > would be appreciated. I am willing to trade
> > softwares (photoshop 5.5, premier 5.1, office
> > 2000, win me etc...you name it) for your time.

> If I'm to help you graduate without taking any trouble for it
yourself,
> and thus introduce another ill-educated, incompetent programmer to the
> market, the very least I would demand for it would be all your
> programming wages from the first, oh, forty years or so of your
> programming career. Oh, and your first-born.
> IOW: do your own damn homework. I did mine; that's how I _became_
(more
> or less) expert.

> Richard

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 08 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie Need Helps from you C expert !!!

Quote:

> Hello!

> I'm starting to take a class in C programming.
> One of my projects asks: "design a program which
> calculates the number of days between the date
> given and XMas day 2005". You folks seem to be
> experts in C language, and I hope someone could
> help me getting started on this program. Perhaps
> a sample source code or pseudocode.

If you have the GNU Emacs text editor, take a look at the file
calendar.el in the lisp source directory.  This has lots of working
examples of date-related code that will serve as a sort of
pseudocode for you.  If you don't have a copy of calendar.el, don't
worry.  The assignment isn't really too hard if you put some thought
into it; the only thing really tricky is the
Gregorian rule for calculating leap years, and determining the
earliest date that can be specified in the Gregorian calendar
(which varied by country, so you'll probably just want to pick
one).  A good encyclopedia will have all the necessary information
about the Gregorian calendar.

But please, don't send me any illegal copies of your software.

Dan

Tue, 08 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie Need Helps from you C expert !!!

Quote:
> >a sample source code or pseudocode...Any help
> >would be appreciated. I am willing to trade
> >softwares (photoshop 5.5, premier 5.1, office
> >2000, win me etc...you name it) for your time.

This is newsgroup for programmers - people who are likely to make their
livelihood by SELLING programmes (software) they've written.

So in effect you are asking the very people you are kicking in the teeth
for help.

Would you like to reconsider?

--
Andrew Spencer.

T'crossbeam's out o'skew on't treddle.

Wed, 09 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie Need Helps from you C expert !!!

Quote:

> Hello!

> I'm starting to take a class in C programming.
> One of my projects asks: "design a program which
> calculates the number of days between the date
> given and XMas day 2005". You folks seem to be
> experts in C language, and I hope someone could
> help me getting started on this program. Perhaps
> a sample source code or pseudocode...Any help
> would be appreciated. I am willing to trade
> softwares (photoshop 5.5, premier 5.1, office
> 2000, win me etc...you name it) for your time.

I don't understand. You want us to do your homework, /and/ take out your
garbage?

--
Richard Heathfield
66 K&R Answers: http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/kandr2/index.html (31

Wed, 09 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie Need Helps from you C expert !!!

: I'm starting to take a class in C programming.
: One of my projects asks: "design a program which
: calculates the number of days between the date
: given and XMas day 2005". You folks seem to be
: experts in C language, and I hope someone could
: help me getting started on this program. Perhaps
: a sample source code or pseudocode...Any help
: would be appreciated. I am willing to trade
: softwares (photoshop 5.5, premier 5.1, office
: 2000, win me etc...you name it) for your time.

I'm not a C expert, but I sure know about the calandar, as I'm an expert on
short timer's countdowns. (I hated school as a kid and always liked New
Year's.) OK, you know the target date, Sunday, Dec 25 Y2K+5.

First step is get the user to input the date, in 3 separate input ("scanf")
statements in numbers, one for month, one for the date, and one for the year.
Then, cause your proggie to do the needed math. That is the simplest method of
doing the countdown programme.

Here is an example:

main()
{
int month;
int date;
int year;
int days_left

printf("Enter the Month\n");
scanf("%d", &month);
printf("Enter the Date\n");
scanf("%d", &date);
printf("Enter the 4-Digit Year\n");
scanf("^d", &year);

/* insert your math here! */

print("%d days left", days_left);

Quote:
}

For the math to insert, you get to use the C if-then statements for the months
and adding in days left as well as years and the date itself subtracting. The
math used will be akin to that used by military personell and prisoners to
count the days until the end of their enlistment or sentence respectively. A
bug potentially crops up with the Y2K+4 leap year bug, so be careful with the
math! That bug is no doubt why the teacher conviently specified Y2K+5.

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

Thu, 10 Apr 2003 08:48:07 GMT
 Newbie Need Helps from you C expert !!!

: If you want an private expertise, prepare a huge stack of green banknotes,
: rather than some miserable and illegal copies of commercial CD.

Come on, don't flame the newbie. Why are techies so {*filter*} toward newbies
anyways? It's not like the swimmers. The {*filter*} was simply asking for a short
timer's proggie or clues to code one. A short-timer's proggie is not worth a
lot of money. Give him a break already. Any one here could code the needed
short-timer's proggie in a matter of minutes or hours at worst. I coded
short-timer's proggies on programmable calculators and caused it to run back
in the 1980s. I coded the shit down to the minute when I had over a megaminute
left in the seppo Navy.

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your {*filter*}stream.

Thu, 10 Apr 2003 08:58:08 GMT
 Newbie Need Helps from you C expert !!!

[snip]

Quote:
>First step is get the user to input the date, in 3 separate input ("scanf")
>statements in numbers, one for month, one for the date, and one for the year.
>Then, cause your proggie to do the needed math. That is the simplest method of
>doing the countdown programme.

>Here is an example:

I think the mistake here is obvious.

Quote:
>main()

This would be better written with a preceding "int".

Quote:
>{
>int month;
>int date;
>int year;
>int days_left

A semi-colon here would help.

Quote:

>printf("Enter the Month\n");
>scanf("%d", &month);
>printf("Enter the Date\n");
>scanf("%d", &date);
>printf("Enter the 4-Digit Year\n");
>scanf("^d", &year);

That should be "%d", of course.  Is there any reason you don't use the
return value of scanf()?  It's fairly important, from what I've heard.

Quote:

>/* insert your math here! */

>print("%d days left", days_left);

printf?

Quote:
>}

[snip]

Thu, 10 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT

2. newbe/cs student, need help w/ code

3. Compile Error=> Need help from expert

4. Needed help from Expert to slove my error

5. Inexplicable System call failure - HELP - expert needed

6. Inexplicable system call failure! HELP-Expert Needed

7. Recursive experts -- I need help!

8. RS232 Expert help needed

9. Beginner needs expert help~pointers

10. Need expert help!

11. C Experts, i really need help here :)

12. Expert help needed: Heap problem