Grossly Off-Topic, nothing to do with C (Was: PLEASE READ!!!) 
Author Message
 Grossly Off-Topic, nothing to do with C (Was: PLEASE READ!!!)



Quote:
> CNN reported that in the next two weeks, Congress is going to vote on
> allowing telephone companies to charge for Internet access. That means
> every
> time we make a long distance e-mail we will recieve a long distance
> charge.
> This will get costly. Please visit the following website and complain.
> Complain to your congressman. It is real easy. Don't allow this to pass.

<snip email address>

Quote:

> Pass this on to your friends. It is urgent! I hope all of you will pass
> this
> on to all of your friends and family. All of us have an interest in this

> one.

> PLEASE FORWARD TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE!!!!!!!!!

a) your posting doesn't belong in comp.lang.c as it is extremely off-topic.
b) your logic is faulty. Just because it's legal to do something doesn't
mean it makes commercial sense. The first phone company to implement this
measure will lose a lot of customers.
c) it doesn't affect ALL of us anyway. It only affects people in the
States, who've had it real good for a real long time. Those of us who
ALREADY pay through the nose for our Internet access have absolutely no
sympathy whatsoever.
d) even were I to be persuaded by your arguments, since I am not
represented by any Congressman, it would be tricky to implement your
suggested plan of action. What makes you think that everyone using the
Internet is an American?

[posted /and/ mailed, as I strongly doubt that the OP has ever read
anything ever posted to this newsgroup before making his post, in flagrant
violation of the spirit and tradition of Usenet, so I suppose it's too much
to expect that he'd read this reply in comp.lang.c]

--
Richard Heathfield

The bug stops here.



Wed, 17 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Grossly Off-Topic, nothing to do with C (Was: PLEASE READ!!!)

a)Did I say everyone using the internet was an American.
b)If it offends you so much, why did you waiste the time repling
c)Everyone here uses the internet, so it's a good place to post a message
pretaining to the internet, eh(although many, like you, are not American)
d)I guess I did reply, that blows your theory



Wed, 17 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Grossly Off-Topic, nothing to do with C (Was: PLEASE READ!!!)
<< Did I say everyone using the internet was an American. >>

In essence, yes, by posting a general message about a specific American
problem.

<< If it offends you so much, why did you waiste the time repling >>

1. Spell these common English words "waste" and "replying."

2. On this evidence, you *must* be an American.

3. Topicality replies to off-topic posts are always on-topic.

<< Everyone here uses the internet, so it's a good place to post a message
pretaining to the internet >>

1. Spell it "pertaining."

2. This is not the Internet, genius. This is a newsgroup on the internet.
Your post is off-topic here.
--

Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

Quote:

>a)Did I say everyone using the internet was an American.
>b)If it offends you so much, why did you waiste the time repling
>c)Everyone here uses the internet, so it's a good place to post a message
>, eh(although many, like you, are not American)
>d)I guess I did reply, that blows your theory



Wed, 17 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Grossly Off-Topic, nothing to do with C (Was: PLEASE READ!!!)

Quote:

> 2. This is not the Internet, genius. This is a newsgroup on the internet.
> (!?!?!)
> Your post is off-topic here.

Do you need a connection to the interent to get here?
I'm not sure I think you do?
Can some one answer me?


Thu, 18 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Grossly Off-Topic, nothing to do with C (Was: PLEASE READ!!!)

Quote:

>> 2. This is not the Internet, genius. This is a newsgroup on the internet.
>> (!?!?!)
>> Your post is off-topic here.

>Do you need a connection to the interent to get here?
>I'm not sure I think you do?
>Can some one answer me?

I think all you need is a UUCP connection to read Usenet, but I might be wrong.
Also, please stop posting HTML if possible.

Gergo

--
"I'd love to go out with you, but I'm doing door-to-door collecting for
static cling."

GU d- s:+ a--- C++>$ UL+++ P>++ L+++ E>++ W+ N++ o? K- w--- !O !M !V
PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP+ t* 5+ X- R>+ tv++ b+>+++ DI+ D+ G>++ e* h! !r !y+



Thu, 18 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Grossly Off-Topic, nothing to do with C (Was: PLEASE READ!!!)
<< Do you need a connection to the interent to get here? >>

Interesting question. Is the Pentagon part of the Internet? No. Do you need
a connection to the Internet to reach it? Unless you are in the building,
yes.

Is my bank part of the Internet? Certainly not. Do I need an Internet
connection to reach it? Yes.

Are VPNs (Virtual Private Networks) part of the Internet? Absolutely not, as
little as humanly possible. Do I need an Internet connection to complete
most VPNs? Yes.

Are newsgroups part of the Internet? No, they predated the Internet and are
still available other ways. Do you need an Internet connection to browser
them? Almost always. And this proves precisely nothing.

Please don't post HTML -- it wastes bandwidth.
--

Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com


        2. This is not the Internet, genius. This is a newsgroup on the
internet. (!?!?!)
        Your post is off-topic here.

    Do you need a connection to the interent to get here?
    I'm not sure I think you do?
    Can some one answer me?



Thu, 18 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Grossly Off-Topic, nothing to do with C (Was: PLEASE READ!!!)

Quote:

>Are newsgroups part of the Internet? No, they predated the Internet and are
>still available other ways.

This is not entirely correct. ARPANET, the first precursor of the Internet, was
created in 1969. Most of the protocols that make up the Internet were developed
in the 1970s. Usenet was created around 1980; this was also the time people
started to use the word "Internet," but the network itself had been in place a
decade earlier. The Internet predated newsgroups, and technically Usenet is
still an independent network.

Gergo

--
Accuracy, n.:
        The vice of being right

GU d- s:+ a--- C++>$ UL+++ P>++ L+++ E>++ W+ N++ o? K- w--- !O !M !V
PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP+ t* 5+ X- R>+ tv++ b+>+++ DI+ D+ G>++ e* h! !r !y+



Thu, 18 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Grossly Off-Topic, nothing to do with C (Was: PLEASE READ!!!)
<< This is not entirely correct >>

I agree with your point, but I said "newsgroups," not "Usenet." There were
newsgroups in many forms before Usenet.
--

Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

Quote:


>>Are newsgroups part of the Internet? No, they predated the Internet and
are
>>still available other ways.

>This is not entirely correct. ARPANET, the first precursor of the Internet,
was
>created in 1969. Most of the protocols that make up the Internet were
developed
>in the 1970s. Usenet was created around 1980; this was also the time people
>started to use the word "Internet," but the network itself had been in
place a
>decade earlier. The Internet predated newsgroups, and technically Usenet is
>still an independent network.

>Gergo

>--
>Accuracy, n.:
> The vice of being right

>GU d- s:+ a--- C++>$ UL+++ P>++ L+++ E>++ W+ N++ o? K- w--- !O !M !V
>PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP+ t* 5+ X- R>+ tv++ b+>+++ DI+ D+ G>++ e* h! !r !y+



Thu, 18 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 9 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Off Topic _But_ Please Read

2. Off Topic _But_ Please Read

3. off-topic (comp.lang.c.off-topic)

4. Off Topic || Please Point Towards Help

5. Off Topic Question: Please don't SPAM

6. off topic stuff: please advise

7. Please forgive the off-topic post

8. Make money doing nothing!!! 62279

9. Off topic - but who'll notice?

10. C++ Standard Availability (off topic)

11. Off Topic Searching NDoc Alternative for generating Documentation

12. Off topic [4X AGP and 1X Motherborad]

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software