IBM-PC specific messages in comp.lang.c
Author Message
 IBM-PC specific messages in comp.lang.c

Perhaps this should be added to the "answers to freqiently asked questions"?

        Q: I have a problem with some IBM-PC 'C' compiler.

        A: Ask it on comp.sys.ibm.pc.

Or maybe "Emily Postnews":

        Q: I've just run into a problem with my IBM-PC 'C' compiler... there
           isn't a fork() call in the library.

        A: That's horrible. Rush right over to comp.lang.c and complain!
           Maybe they'll get it into the new ANSI standard and force IBM
           to abandon MS-DOS and switch to UNIX.

Opinions may not represent the policies of FICC or the Xenix Support group.

Mon, 20 Jul 1992 17:13:00 GMT
 IBM-PC specific messages in comp.lang.c

Quote:
> Perhaps this should be added to the "answers to freqiently asked questions"?

>    Q: I have a problem with some IBM-PC 'C' compiler.
>    A: Ask it on comp.sys.ibm.pc.

>    A: That's horrible. Rush right over to comp.lang.c and complain!
>       Maybe they'll get it into the new ANSI standard and force IBM
>       to abandon MS-DOS and switch to UNIX.
> --

I thought one of the major strengths of "C" was its PORTABILITY
between operating systems! I've looked at the bottom of the screen
and it says "comp.lang.c" NOT "comp.lang.c.UNIX". Perhaps you
should post your answers in "comp.lain".
--
Bob Breedlove  SYSOP: BOBsBBS (916/929-7511)
        pacbell!sactoh0!bfbreedl

Mon, 20 Jul 1992 14:49:00 GMT
 IBM-PC specific messages in comp.lang.c

Quote:
> Perhaps this should be added to the "answers to freqiently asked questions"?

>    Q: I have a problem with some IBM-PC 'C' compiler.
>    A: Ask it on comp.sys.ibm.pc.

Note: often, the problem seems PC specific, but is not necessarily so.  In
these cases, this is the perfect newsgroup.  The fact that a specific
implementation (for which a newgroup exists) is cited should not deter
people from dealing with C questions here.  (Other times, the problem
should be taken to comp.sys.ibm.pc).

Quote:
> Or maybe "Emily Postnews":

>    Q: I've just run into a problem with my IBM-PC 'C' compiler...

>    A: That's horrible. Rush right over to comp.lang.c and complain!
>       Maybe they'll get it into the new ANSI standard and force IBM
>       to abandon MS-DOS and switch to UNIX.

Do I detect a little attitude here?  Geez, what a grouch!

Wade Guthrie

Rockwell International
Anaheim, CA

(Rockwell doesn't necessarily believe / stand by what I'm saying; how could
they when *I* don't even know what I'm talking about???)

Mon, 20 Jul 1992 16:54:00 GMT
 IBM-PC specific messages in comp.lang.c

Quote:
>Perhaps this should be added to the "answers to freqiently asked questions"?
>    Q: I have a problem with some IBM-PC 'C' compiler.
>    A: Ask it on comp.sys.ibm.pc.

Now, who the hell has the time to plow through comp.sys.ibm.pc, eh?

More to the point, who has the time to plow through both comp.sys.ibm.pc
_and_ comp.lang.c??

Given that I can only read one of the two in the time I have available,
I opt to read comp.lang.c and ignore comp.sys.ibm.pc.

Your suggestion prompts the following:

        Q: I have a problem with some Unix 'C' compiler.

        A: Ask it on comp.unix.questions.
--
William Phillips                 ..![cucard|uunet]!dasys1!wfp

BEC Public Excess Unix                      New York, NY, USA
                !!! JUST SAY "NO" TO OS/2 !!!

Mon, 20 Jul 1992 22:42:00 GMT
 IBM-PC specific messages in comp.lang.c

Quote:

>>Perhaps this should be added to the "answers to freqiently asked questions"?
>>        Q: I have a problem with some IBM-PC 'C' compiler.
>>        A: Ask it on comp.sys.ibm.pc.

(along with Doug Macdonald, in some other article whose referent I
do not intend to find) writes:

Quote:
>Your suggestion prompts the following:
>    Q: I have a problem with some Unix 'C' compiler.
>    A: Ask it on comp.unix.questions.

If the problem is specific to a Unix C compiler, this is proper!
Likewise, if the problem or question is specific to the IBM PC, it does
not belong on comp.lang.c.  This is why I try to redirect questions
about single-character input to comp.unix.questions; it is why
questions about new releases of Turbo C should stay in comp.sys.ibm.pc;
and it is why questions about the proper form for a declaration of a
pointer to pointer to array 5 of pointer to function returning pointer
to array 10 of array 3 of pointer to pointer to function returning pointer
to char belong in comp.lang.c.

(Incidentally, the answer is `char *(**(*(*(**foo)[5])())[10][3])();'.)

Mon, 20 Jul 1992 07:24:00 GMT
 IBM-PC specific messages in comp.lang.c

Quote:

> >       Q: I have a problem with some IBM-PC 'C' compiler.
> >       A: Ask it on comp.sys.ibm.pc.
> I thought one of the major strengths of "C" was its PORTABILITY
> between operating systems! I've looked at the bottom of the screen
> and it says "comp.lang.c" NOT "comp.lang.c.UNIX". Perhaps you
> should post your answers in "comp.lain".

This is almost funny. Considering that this software is written in 'C'
and runs on UNIX, one would expect that the biggest offenders would be
people asking UNIX-specific questions. Because UNIX-specific questions
are as inappropriate as MS-DOS ones.

As it turns out, though, there are hardly any UNIX-specific questions
here. Lots of questions about how to write interrupt handlers in Turbo-C,
or how to read a directory on MS-DOS, or how to cope with memory models
(again, UNIX people who have problems with memory models tend to post
to comp.unix.xenix or comp.unix.microport).

Macintosh, Amiga, and Atari people keep to their own groups, too. When was
the last time someone asked why you had to set A0 to _custom when returning
from a VBLANK handler in comp.lang.c?

To sum up: just because your program is in 'C' doesn't mean that comp.lang.c
is the place to ask OS-specific questions. The right place to ask is the
group for your O/S. The vast majority of people who violate this reasonable
requirement seem to be MS-DOS programmers.

I will vote 'yes' on comp.sys.ibm.pc.{tech,programmer,whatever} when it comes
around. In the meantime, try comp.sys.ibm.pc first. Pretty please?

Opinions may not represent the policies of FICC or the Xenix Support group.

Mon, 20 Jul 1992 14:59:00 GMT
 IBM-PC specific messages in comp.lang.c

Quote:

>Your suggestion prompts the following:

>    Q: I have a problem with some Unix 'C' compiler.

>    A: Ask it on comp.unix.questions.

The truth said in jest...

Nearly everyone will agree that this is correct.  The only time specific
compilers or OS environments should be brought up in this group is when
either (a) they provide information about the general use or standardization
of the language, or (b) when they are used to compare behaviors.

If someone has a question about the C language, they should post it here
(barring any local resource availability).  If someone has a question about
C's interaction with UNIX calls or some such, they *should* post it to
comp.unix.questions.  If someone has a question about MIPS' C compiler,
for example, they should mail it to MIPS Customer Services or post it to
comp.sys.misc.
--
Roger B.A. Klorese                                  MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
{ames,decwrl,pyramid}!mips!rogerk      928 E. Arques Ave.  Sunnyvale, CA  94086

"Into the woods to find there's hope of getting through the journey." -Sondheim

Mon, 20 Jul 1992 05:31:00 GMT
 IBM-PC specific messages in comp.lang.c
Ok. I agree with that as far as the questions are really machine dependant,
such as the quoted examples 'How do you write an interrupt handler in
{turbo|lattice|megamax|...} C on an {IBM PC | Pc clone | Atari| Amiga | ...}',
BUT I think that questions concerning C compilers belong in THIS HERE group,
no matter what machine the C compiler is running on. I think comp.lang.c
is the right place to discuss 'Why does Turbo C bomb out on this C Program
I {wrote | got from comp.sources.???}' etc. However, people might then
put an indicator in the subject line, which OS/machine/C-Compiler they
are referring to, so that you can hit 'n' if not interested.

Mon, 20 Jul 1992 07:23:00 GMT
 IBM-PC specific messages in comp.lang.c

Quote:

> (Incidentally, the answer is `char *(**(*(*(**foo)[5])())[10][3])();'.)

So do questions like:

        Isn't it past time 'C' pointer operations were fixed so you
        could use this:

        char foo^^[5]()^[10][3]^^()^;

belong in comp.lang.c, comp.std.c, or comp.lang.misc?

Opinions may not represent the policies of FICC or the Xenix Support group.

Mon, 20 Jul 1992 19:25:00 GMT
 IBM-PC specific messages in comp.lang.c

Quote:

> Your suggestion prompts the following:
>    Q: I have a problem with some Unix 'C' compiler.
>    A: Ask it on comp.unix.questions.

That's a very good suggestion. Is it only us Amiga people who have buddha-
nature?

Opinions may not represent the policies of FICC or the Xenix Support group.

Mon, 20 Jul 1992 19:27:00 GMT
 IBM-PC specific messages in comp.lang.c

Quote:
>So do questions like:
>    Isn't it past time 'C' pointer operations were fixed so you
>    could use this:
>    char foo^^[5]()^[10][3]^^()^;
>belong in comp.lang.c, comp.std.c, or comp.lang.misc?

IMHO, all discussions of the `D' language (which is what this is; it's not
likely to ever be changed in C) belong in comp.lang.misc.

Mon, 20 Jul 1992 19:41:00 GMT

1. Turbo C discussion in comp.sys.ibm.pc (also INFO-IBMPC)

2. toupper, isupper.., and the flamewar in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d

3. Tangle 3.0, couldn't post it to comp.binaries.ibm.pc

4. c/c++ book, comp.lang.c++, comp.lang.c++.leda, comp.lang.c++.moderated, comp.lang.c.moderated, comp.sys.mac.programmer.codewarrior

5. environment-specific postings to comp.lang.c

6. Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.lang.c++,comp.lang.c++.moderated,comp.lang.c.moderated

7. Rogue Cancels in comp.lang.c and comp.lang.c++ originating from cnet.fr

8. Rogue Cancels in comp.lang.c and comp.lang.c++ originating from cnet.fr

9. comp.lang.prolog comp.lang.c

10. comp.lang.c/comp.lang.c++

11. Pre-RFD: comp.lang.c.advocacy and comp.lang.c.learn

12. CALL FOR DISCUSSION: comp.lang.c.dos and comp.lang.c.unix