char size (was long long long long long int)
Author Message
 char size (was long long long long long int)

-GAWollman, on char size...

Quote:
>Better make that
>                One addressable unit(*) on the machine
>remember that sizeof(char) is defined to be 1.

This won't work on word-addressable machines if this is what he means.
I don't want the Cray returning 8 for sizeof(char).  Cray has implemented
a 3-bit field in the address of a character to indicate a 0 to 7 byte
offset to the word address.  It could then be argued that then a byte is the
addressable unit on the Cray.  I don't interpret it that way...

Tom{*filter*}ens: Boeing Computer Services:
        <<These are my opinions and do not reflect any Boeing policy.>>

Sat, 10 Sep 1994 02:13:33 GMT

1. long long long long integers

2. short/long/long long Formatting questions

3. Long long and long double

4. typecasting int to long long int

5. Convert four chars to a long and a long to four chars

6. question: char* lltostr(long long, char*)?

7. long long int

8. long long int into octets (and back again)

9. long long int

10. unsigned long long int

11. long long int

12. Assigning and printing long long int's