Recommendations for "Intermediate C" books
Author Message
 Recommendations for "Intermediate C" books

I have currently completed one semester of C programming, as that is all that my
(community) college offers.

The book used by our teacher was "C Primer Plus 3ed by Stephen Prata"

I noticed that http://www.*-*-*.com/ has recommendations for "Beginning C"
and "Advanced C", but no references to "Intermediate C".

My question:
Are there any books you can recommend that could be catagorised as "Intermediate C" ?

If not, is one semester enough preparation for the "Advanced" books?

--

/*Your signature goes here*/

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 14:20:52 GMT
 Recommendations for "Intermediate C" books

Quote:
>I have currently completed one semester of C programming, as that is all that my
>(community) college offers.

>The book used by our teacher was "C Primer Plus 3ed by Stephen Prata"

>I noticed that http://www.accu.org has recommendations for "Beginning C"
>and "Advanced C", but no references to "Intermediate C".

>My question:
>Are there any books you can recommend that could be catagorised as "Intermediate C" ?

>If not, is one semester enough preparation for the "Advanced" books?

After *mastering* K&R2, you're ready for the "Advanced" books.

Dan
--
Dan Pop
DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 19:24:27 GMT
 Recommendations for "Intermediate C" books

Quote:

>>I have currently completed one semester of C programming, as that is all that my
>>(community) college offers.

>>The book used by our teacher was "C Primer Plus 3ed by Stephen Prata"

>>I noticed that http://www.accu.org has recommendations for "Beginning C"
>>and "Advanced C", but no references to "Intermediate C".

>>My question:
>>Are there any books you can recommend that could be catagorised as "Intermediate C" ?

>>If not, is one semester enough preparation for the "Advanced" books?

> After *mastering* K&R2, you're ready for the "Advanced" books.

> Dan

Just out of curiosity, Dan, what would you consider "mastery" of K&R2?
Being able to answer all of the questions?
Being able to recite chapter and verse for various language elements?
No sarcasm intended...

Mon, 07 Nov 2005 01:38:38 GMT
 Recommendations for "Intermediate C" books

Quote:

>>>I have currently completed one semester of C programming, as that is all that my
>>>(community) college offers.

>>>The book used by our teacher was "C Primer Plus 3ed by Stephen Prata"

>>>I noticed that http://www.accu.org has recommendations for "Beginning C"
>>>and "Advanced C", but no references to "Intermediate C".

>>>My question:
>>>Are there any books you can recommend that could be catagorised as "Intermediate C" ?

>>>If not, is one semester enough preparation for the "Advanced" books?

>> After *mastering* K&R2, you're ready for the "Advanced" books.

>> Dan

>Just out of curiosity, Dan, what would you consider "mastery" of K&R2?
>Being able to answer all of the questions?

Not leaving anything not properly understood behind and solving all the
exercises.

Quote:
>Being able to recite chapter and verse for various language elements?

In the absence of proper understanding, this is a useless ability.
There is nothing wrong with going back to the book to check one detail or
another that you might have forgotten (or you're not 100% sure about).

There is something wrong when you forget a detail but don't realise that.

Dan
--
Dan Pop
DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

Mon, 07 Nov 2005 20:39:40 GMT

1. Book recommendation (intermediate/advanced)

2. "MFC Black Book" vs Kain's "MFC Answer Book"

3. The "C Answer Book"

4. "Portable C" (the book)

5. "MUST HAVE" books for MFC

6. Book review: "C Interfaces and Implementations"

7. Wanted: "Master C" Book/Diskette

8. "A Book About C" -- some nits

9. book "Mastering C Pointers"-Traister

10. Book to learn "C"