C++ (text user interface) compiler+editor for unix/linux
Author Message
 C++ (text user interface) compiler+editor for unix/linux

Hello!

I was pretty happy using Borlands C++ ver 3.0 (dos based) compiler all
these years. Now, as I mostly use unix terminals, I've to create files
with text editors and compile through gcc/cc.

Now, I was wondering about some kind of *lookalike* borland's dos
based compiler with text interface (like mc) in unix platform. I don't
want to use x-window for this purpose.

Any clue please?

Thanks in advance.

raqueeb hassan
bangladesh

Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:07:50 GMT
 C++ (text user interface) compiler+editor for unix/linux

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 C++ (text user interface) compiler+editor for unix/linux
Hi Raqueeb.

Raqueeb Hassan:

Quote:
>I was pretty happy using Borlands C++ ver 3.0 (dos based) compiler all
>these years. Now, as I mostly use unix terminals, I've to create files
>with text editors and compile through gcc/cc.

>Now, I was wondering about some kind of *lookalike* borland's dos
>based compiler with text interface (like mc) in unix platform. I don't
>want to use x-window for this purpose.

Your question is off topic for this newgroup, which deals only with
issues regarding the C++ language itself.

But to answer your question, you might like to look at Rhide[1].  It is
a workalike for Borland's DOS IDEs.

Cameron

[1] http://www.rhide.com/

--
Cameron McCormack

  // http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~clm/
  // icq 26955922

Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:54:13 GMT
 C++ (text user interface) compiler+editor for unix/linux

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 C++ (text user interface) compiler+editor for unix/linux

Quote:

> Hello!

> I was pretty happy using Borlands C++ ver 3.0 (dos based) compiler all
> these years. Now, as I mostly use unix terminals, I've to create files
> with text editors and compile through gcc/cc.

> Now, I was wondering about some kind of *lookalike* borland's dos
> based compiler with text interface (like mc) in unix platform. I don't
> want to use x-window for this purpose.

I made use of (x)wpe for a while, but at least it worked for me with
X11.
AFAIK it should work without X too.

H.P.

 Dipl.-Ing. Harald Prettner     |       Fax: +43 316 873 7699
 Graz University of Technology  |       Voice: +43 316 873 6393
 Network Manager                |       http://www.zid.tu-graz.ac.at

Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:51:53 GMT
 C++ (text user interface) compiler+editor for unix/linux

Hi,

You should definitely try GNU Emacs (http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs).
   GNU Emacs is one of the best text editors & development environments.

A big advantage is that you can use GNU Emacs on very many platforms
(http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/#Platforms).  It also provides a
consistent user interface for various terminals and window systems.

For more information see:
http://www.gnu.org/manual/emacs/html_mono/emacs.html

You can download GNU Emacs from: ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/

You can find pointers to very many useful GNU Emacs packages here:

http://www.emacswiki.org
http://anc.ed.ac.uk/~stephen/emacs/ell.html

If you are interested in code browsers and other programming packages see:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CategoryProgrammerUtils

GNU Emacs is free software (http://www.gnu.org).  Unlike proprietary
software, GNU free software always guarantees that you are free to use,
study, adapt, improve and redistribute the source code
(http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html).

The GNU Emacs source code is available here:

http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/

HTH,
Jack

  > Hello!
  >
  > I was pretty happy using Borlands C++ ver 3.0 (dos based) compiler all
  > these years. Now, as I mostly use unix terminals, I've to create files
  > with text editors and compile through gcc/cc.
  >
  > Now, I was wondering about some kind of *lookalike* borland's dos
  > based compiler with text interface (like mc) in unix platform. I don't
  > want to use x-window for this purpose.
  >
  > Any clue please?
  >
  > Thanks in advance.
  >
  > raqueeb hassan
  > bangladesh

Sat, 12 Feb 2005 01:12:44 GMT
 C++ (text user interface) compiler+editor for unix/linux

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 C++ (text user interface) compiler+editor for unix/linux
yes, i understand, but i needed some expert help from unix gurus too.

thanks very much for the tips!

raqueeb hassan
bangladesh

Sat, 12 Feb 2005 01:21:36 GMT
 C++ (text user interface) compiler+editor for unix/linux

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 C++ (text user interface) compiler+editor for unix/linux
thanks for those kind replies. i'm gonna check those out!

raqueeb hassan
bangladesh

Sat, 12 Feb 2005 10:13:50 GMT

1. ** C Unix / Win95 Editor / Compiler **

2. want gui c compiler/editor for unix

3. Can C++ souce code be printed in color as in Visual C++ 5.0 text editor

4. Character based user interface for dos and unix

5. using (calling) linux (unix) commands in C/C++

6. Help ... (char **) question (UNIX-LINUX C/C++)

7. How to develop a dll using C++/VC++ code for unix/linux platform

8. Why Unix C++ compiler is better than Visual C++ one

9. How to develop a dll using C++/VC++ code for unix/linux platform

10. Why Unix C++ compiler is better than Visual C++ one

11. Editor for C/C++ in UNIX ???

12. text-based user interface