 FASANABLA

Please tell me, what is Fasanabla?

daniel

Fri, 23 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FASANABLA

wrote in comp.lang.c:

Quote:
> Please tell me, what is Fasanabla?

> daniel

Please tell me why you cross-posted this question to the newsgroup
comp.lang.c?

Jack Klein
--
Home: http://jackklein.home.att.net

Fri, 23 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FASANABLA

Quote:

>Please tell me, what is Fasanabla?

>daniel

Looks like you've been watching "The Sopranos."  I'll give you a non-hostile
answer, if you're really looking for one.  Seems some other AUE readers took
offense.

I think you're repeating, slightly innacurately, a common Italian expletive,
more accurately, "va a Naopli," or "go to Naples."  I have no Idea why this
is insulting to an Italian-speaker, but I know that they were almost
fightin' words in my old neighborhood.  The phrase is usually pronounced in
a dialect-corrupted manner, and comes out "ah fah-NAH-bah-lah"  An English
translation  which might convey the meaning would be "screw you," or perhaps
"go to hell."

Your version included an "S" which I have never heard.

==================
Carl Perretta

Remove SPAMFREE for mail

Fri, 23 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FASANABLA
On Mon, 06 Mar 2000 22:03:01 GMT, "Carl Perretta"

Quote:

>>Please tell me, what is Fasanabla?

>>daniel

>Looks like you've been watching "The Sopranos."  I'll give you a non-hostile
>answer, if you're really looking for one.  Seems some other AUE readers took
>offense.

>I think you're repeating, slightly innacurately, a common Italian expletive,
>more accurately, "va a Naopli," or "go to Naples."  I have no Idea why this
>is insulting to an Italian-speaker, but I know that they were almost
>fightin' words in my old neighborhood.  The phrase is usually pronounced in
>a dialect-corrupted manner, and comes out "ah fah-NAH-bah-lah"  An English
>translation  which might convey the meaning would be "screw you," or perhaps
>"go to hell."

>Your version included an "S" which I have never heard.

The word reallly is..."Fa?onnable".  This is the name of a clothing
manufacturer.  In fact,   there is a store in New York City called
"Fa?onnable".  I know this for a fact because my student Dan received
a present from his mother purchased from this store.

Dan and I found it very interesting that a company would call
themselves something that sounded so close to what is known as an
Italian curse.  Dan said that he couldn't believe it.  How could they
do this?

susan macdonald
daniel mcgrath's tutor

Sun, 25 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FASANABLA

Quote:

>On Mon, 06 Mar 2000 22:03:01 GMT, "Carl Perretta"

>>I think you're repeating, slightly innacurately, a common Italian expletive,
>>more accurately, "va a Naopli," or "go to Naples."  I have no Idea why this
>>is insulting to an Italian-speaker, but I know that they were almost
>>fightin' words in my old neighborhood.  The phrase is usually pronounced in
>>a dialect-corrupted manner, and comes out "ah fah-NAH-bah-lah"  An English
>>translation  which might convey the meaning would be "screw you," or perhaps
>>"go to hell."

>The word reallly is..."Fa?onnable".  This is the name of a clothing
>manufacturer.  In fact,   there is a store in New York City called
>"Fa?onnable".  I know this for a fact because my student Dan received
>a present from his mother purchased from this store.

>Dan and I found it very interesting that a company would call
>themselves something that sounded so close to what is known as an
>Italian curse.  Dan said that he couldn't believe it.  How could they
>do this?

Sounds like clever marketing along the same lines as FCUK (French Connection
UK), but the pun there is more visual.

Did you read that first "FCUK" twice? That's the idea... ;)

-- Mat.

Sun, 25 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FASANABLA

Quote:

>>>Please tell me, what is Fasanabla?

>The word reallly is..."Fa?onnable".  This is the name of a clothing
>manufacturer.  In fact,   there is a store in New York City called
>"Fa?onnable".  I know this for a fact because my student Dan received
>a present from his mother purchased from this store.

>Dan and I found it very interesting that a company would call
>themselves something that sounded so close to what is known as an
>Italian curse.  Dan said that he couldn't believe it.  How could they
>do this?

>susan macdonald
>daniel mcgrath's tutor

Thanks for pointing out that there is a smidgin of meaning in
something that idiot wrote. It's useful to know this sort of thing,
because usually his posts are somewhat devoid of meaning.

On the other hand, if you knew the answer, why ask the question?

-ler

Sun, 25 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FASANABLA

Quote:

> >The word reallly is..."Fa?onnable".  This is the name of a clothing
> >manufacturer.  In fact,   there is a store in New York City called
> >"Fa?onnable".  I know this for a fact because my student Dan received
> >a present from his mother purchased from this store.

> >Dan and I found it very interesting that a company would call
> >themselves something that sounded so close to what is known as an
> >Italian curse.  Dan said that he couldn't believe it.  How could they
> >do this?

> >susan macdonald
> >daniel mcgrath's tutor

> Thanks for pointing out that there is a smidgin of meaning in
> something that idiot wrote. It's useful to know this sort of thing,
> because usually his posts are somewhat devoid of meaning.

> On the other hand, if you knew the answer, why ask the question?

And why post any of this to comp.lang.c?

--
MJSR

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.