A hard integral!
Author Message
 A hard integral!

:  Dear math folks:
:       Can someone give me any comments or suggestions to solve
:  the following symbolic integral?

:       /
:      |            1
:      | ------------------------   dy
:      |  1+k*y*(1-exp(-(y/A)^2))
:     /

:     in which 'A' and 'k' both are any positive constants.

:  I have tried several ways,for example,Maple, Mathcad, Mathematica.
:  But found no solutions. I need your help!

Try one of the "old fashioned" ways: integration by
differentiation under the integral sign.  For details,
see, for example,  "Advanced Calculus" by Woods.

-- Wetboy

Fri, 24 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 A hard integral!

Quote:

> Dear math folks:

comp.lang.c is for discussing the C programming language, it is not a
mathematics related newsgroup. Try something like sci.math instead.

Fri, 24 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 A hard integral!

Quote:

>> Dear math folks:
>>      Can someone give me any comments or suggestions to solve
>> the following symbolic integral?

>>      /
>>     |            1
>>     | ------------------------   dy
>>     |  1+k*y*(1-exp(-(y/A)^2))
>>    /

>>    in which 'A' and 'k' both are any positive constants.

>> I have tried several ways,for example,Maple, Mathcad, Mathematica.
>> But found no solutions. I need your help!
>> Thank you all!

>Off topic.  Maple and Mathematica solve it instantly, so you're not trying
>very hard.
>Try here:
>http://www.integrals.com

FWIW mathematic at http://www.integrals.com _cannot_ solve it.

putting in 1/(1 + k * x * (1 - Exp [-((x/a)^2)])) resulted in
Mathematica was not able to do the integral you requested. If you think the integral can in fact be done, please send mail to

David C. Hoos, Sr.

Fri, 24 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 A hard integral!

[snip]
Worked fine for me.  Try the on-line help.  Follow-ups to sci.math or
somewhere sensible, please.

Fri, 24 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Hard Real Time Applications really HARD to programme

2. integral constant suffixes vs. casts

3. constant integral expression

4. Expected Integral Type?

5. Integral promotion problem

6. Integral promotion.

7. Integrals & C, functions

8. integral promotions and char

9. integrals in C?

10. Unsigned arithmetics and integral promotion

11. Integral Size Mismatch Problem

12. integral types, and how different operators treat them