Creating A DOS Directory File List Without Using SYSTEM
Author Message
 Creating A DOS Directory File List Without Using SYSTEM

Using MSVC++ 1.5:

Is there a way to create a list of files in a directory without
having to use the SYSTEM function?

Thanks

Robert Flores - Programmer Analyst
Texas Parks And Wildlife Department
4200 Smith School Road
Austin, Texas 78744
Office: 512-389-4548
Fax:    512-389-4558

Sat, 28 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Creating A DOS Directory File List Without Using SYSTEM

: Using MSVC++ 1.5:

: Is there a way to create a list of files in a directory without
: having to use the SYSTEM function?

You might look into the C directory functions opendir, readdir, and
closedir that are in dir.h and/or dirent.h; this is for "standard"
C/C++ but I'm certain MSVC++ has some library around to do this if you
can't find the libraries listed above.

Nate

Sat, 28 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Creating A DOS Directory File List Without Using SYSTEM

Quote:
>Using MSVC++ 1.5:

>Is there a way to create a list of files in a directory without
>having to use the SYSTEM function?

This is not ANSI C, but if using MSVC++ 1.5 you can use the _dos_findfirst()
and _dos_findnext() functions to build a list of files.

Richard Bramante
Ftp Software

Sat, 28 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Creating A DOS Directory File List Without Using SYSTEM

In comp.lang.c

Quote:

>You might look into the C directory functions opendir, readdir, and
>closedir that are in dir.h and/or dirent.h; this is for "standard"
>C/C++ but I'm certain MSVC++ has some library around to do this if you
>can't find the libraries listed above.

Those are not standard functions; I believe they are POSIX.
Obviously since you note that they may be in dir.h or
dirent.h(and I'll add direct.h), they can't be standard as that
is not a standard header file.

What he wants is findfirst() findnext().

Wed, 02 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Creating A DOS Directory File List Without Using SYSTEM

Quote:

> In comp.lang.c

> >You might look into the C directory functions opendir, readdir, and
> >closedir that are in dir.h and/or dirent.h; this is for "standard"
> >C/C++ but I'm certain MSVC++ has some library around to do this if you
> >can't find the libraries listed above.

> Those are not standard functions; I believe they are POSIX.
> Obviously since you note that they may be in dir.h or
> dirent.h(and I'll add direct.h), they can't be standard as that
> is not a standard header file.

> What he wants is findfirst() findnext().

Which are also nonstandard and, in fact, are not available under MSVC
1.5, the compiler the original poster said he was using.

MSVC 1.5 uses the functions _dos_findfirst and _dos_findnext for
searching directories.  Like the other suggestions posted here, these
are not standard.

Michael M Rubenstein

Thu, 03 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. using exec() or system() for directory listing

2. Help: File AND Directory listing by MS-Dos Borland Compiler

3. creating xml schema programmatically from an an xml file without using ADO.NET

4. File system using a linked list...

5. File system using a linked list

6. system() call without DOS window opening

7. Creating a window using FormView - without using CMultiDocTemplate

8. C/DOS routines for getting directory listing

9. system call creates a dos-box

10. Creating directory list

11. Directory / File Scanning Without Piping

12. how to shutdown system without using Windows API????????