Stable open source C Libraries 
Author Message
 Stable open source C Libraries

Hi,

Anybody around knows a stable open source C libraries that I can use for
Unix X-Windows UI graphic interface sort of an SDK in MS-Windows.

thanks



Sat, 12 Feb 2005 07:15:41 GMT  
 Stable open source C Libraries
On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 23:15:41 GMT, in comp.lang.c , "Alexys Flores"

Quote:

>Hi,

>Anybody around knows a stable open source C libraries that I can use for
>Unix X-Windows UI graphic interface sort of an SDK in MS-Windows.

For C, whats wrong with GCC?  Do you mean you want X-windows libraries
that will work on Intel?  If so, you're asking in the wrong group, but
xFree86 springs to mind. Ask in a linux group for more info. If you
want x-windows that runs under Win32, then I don't believe that
exists, but again this is the wrong place, ask in an MS-windows
programming group
--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html>
CLC readme: <http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/bchambless0/welcome_to_clc.html>


Sat, 12 Feb 2005 08:01:56 GMT  
 Stable open source C Libraries
On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 01:01:56 +0100, Mark McIntyre said:

Quote:
> On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 23:15:41 GMT, in comp.lang.c , "Alexys Flores"

>>Anybody around knows a stable open source C libraries

glibc, and possibly the BSD C libraries (depending on your
definition of Open Source), fit the bill.

Quote:
>>that I can use for
>>Unix X-Windows UI graphic interface sort of an SDK in MS-Windows.

Ah - you're getting OT here. You might be looking for something
like gtk+?

Quote:
> For C, whats wrong with GCC?

Isn't gcc a compiler sollection, as opposed to a C library, which
the OP asked for?

Quote:
> If you
> want x-windows that runs under Win32, then I don't believe that
> exists

There are several implementatoins of xservers for Win32. But as
you point out, that's OT.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
           David Neary,
     E-Mail: bolsh at gimp dot org
CV: http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~bolsh/CV/CV.html



Sat, 12 Feb 2005 15:09:19 GMT  
 Stable open source C Libraries

Quote:

> On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 01:01:56 +0100, Mark McIntyre said:

<snip>

> > For C, whats wrong with GCC?

> Isn't gcc a compiler sollection, as opposed to a C library, which
> the OP asked for?

It's true that gcc is not a C library (but I still think of "the gcc
libc", of course). But as for gcc being a compiler collection, well, the
GNU crowd can call it that if they like, but...

<snip>

--

"Usenet is a strange place." - Dennis M Ritchie, 29 July 1999.
C FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
K&R answers, C books, etc: http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton



Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:50:49 GMT  
 Stable open source C Libraries

Quote:


> > On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 01:01:56 +0100, Mark McIntyre said:

> <snip>

> > > For C, whats wrong with GCC?

> > Isn't gcc a compiler sollection, as opposed to a C library, which
> > the OP asked for?

> It's true that gcc is not a C library (but I still think of "the gcc
> libc", of course). But as for gcc being a compiler collection, well, the
> GNU crowd can call it that if they like, but...

What, how isn't it a compiler collection? Compilers for C, C++,
Objective-C, Ada, and Java - and that's just off the top of my head.

-Micah



Sun, 13 Feb 2005 01:25:52 GMT  
 Stable open source C Libraries

Quote:



> > > On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 01:01:56 +0100, Mark McIntyre said:

> > <snip>

> > > > For C, whats wrong with GCC?

> > > Isn't gcc a compiler sollection, as opposed to a C library, which
> > > the OP asked for?

> > It's true that gcc is not a C library (but I still think of "the gcc
> > libc", of course). But as for gcc being a compiler collection, well, the
> > GNU crowd can call it that if they like, but...

> What, how isn't it a compiler collection? Compilers for C, C++,
> Objective-C, Ada, and Java - and that's just off the top of my head.

Don't worry, I'm just being 'ornery. When I type

  gcc -W -Wall -ansi -pedantic -O2 -pg -g -o foo foo.c -lm

the *last* thing I want is for an Ada compiler to fire up.  :-)

--

"Usenet is a strange place." - Dennis M Ritchie, 29 July 1999.
C FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
K&R answers, C books, etc: http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton



Sun, 13 Feb 2005 04:27:56 GMT  
 Stable open source C Libraries
On 27 Aug 2002 07:09:19 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Dave Neary

Quote:

>On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 01:01:56 +0100, Mark McIntyre said:
>> On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 23:15:41 GMT, in comp.lang.c , "Alexys Flores"

>>>Anybody around knows a stable open source C libraries

>> For C, whats wrong with GCC?

>Isn't gcc a compiler sollection, as opposed to a C library, which
>the OP asked for?

OTOH libraries are of limited use w/o a compatible compiler. I dunno,
maybe the glibc lib is in some weird format....

Quote:
>> If you
>> want x-windows that runs under Win32, then I don't believe that
>> exists

>There are several implementatoins of xservers for Win32. But as
>you point out, that's OT.

I don't think thats what he wants, he's after an actual X-Windows
library to allow X-windows calls to be made, ie to actually create
x-windows. X Servers abstract that from the local device, allowing
x-windows generated elsewhere on the net to display on your computer.
Its not quite the same thing,
--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html>
CLC readme: <http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/bchambless0/welcome_to_clc.html>


Sun, 13 Feb 2005 06:35:15 GMT  
 Stable open source C Libraries
in comp.lang.c i read:

Quote:
>Anybody around knows a stable open source C libraries that I can use for
>Unix X-Windows UI graphic interface sort of an SDK in MS-Windows.

if you want any sort of ui that is compatible between x11 and ms windows
there are several possibilities, e.g., gtk or wxwindows.  if you want a
motif-like api then lesstif is probably what you want.

but all this is off topic here.  try a group under comp.windows or
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.

--
bringing you boring signatures for 17 years



Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:31:20 GMT  
 Stable open source C Libraries

Quote:

> Hi,

> Anybody around knows a stable open source C libraries that I can use for
> Unix X-Windows UI graphic interface sort of an SDK in MS-Windows.

Look at the xfree86 port to Cygwin[1]. You need only to link to
libX11 (Xlib).

Footnotes:
[1]  http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin

--
Where's SANDY DUNCAN?



Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:39:26 GMT  
 
 [ 9 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. FUZZY mathematics (error propagation) - new c++ library (open source)

2. Open Source Class Library for Windows

3. Seeking input of Open Source license for CIDLib C++ Class Libraries

4. Compile CS source code using ICodeCompiler

5. cs source code

6. Newbie: separate big .cs file into small .cs files

7. MS goes Open Source....with YOUR source.....

8. System Stable

9. Is RC1 more stable?

10. Quick Sort, quicker, stable and anti-degeneration

11. Stable qsort

12. Is DJGPP considered stable?

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software