Help, program crashes
Author Message
 Help, program crashes

I have written a program in MS-DOS to keep time from machine tools via a
relay connected to the RS-232.  The program logs the start stop time for
a job in a text file which is transfered to another computer.  The
program works fine for an hour and a 1/2, then quits writing to disk,
although the console appears ok.  I have compiled in BC 3.1, 4.5 and
5.02 with the same results.  I suspect that I have a memory leak.  Does
anyone have an suggestions on how I should track this error down. An

Mon, 10 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help, program crashes

Quote:

> I have written a program in MS-DOS to keep time from machine tools via a
> relay connected to the RS-232.  The program logs the start stop time for
> a job in a text file which is transfered to another computer.  The
> program works fine for an hour and a 1/2, then quits writing to disk,
> although the console appears ok.  I have compiled in BC 3.1, 4.5 and
> 5.02 with the same results.  I suspect that I have a memory leak.  Does
> anyone have an suggestions on how I should track this error down. An

We can't help you yet.  Show us the C program you wrote.  Reduce it to
the
part that fails.  Show anybody here a snippet you can't get to work and
your mailbox will be FULL of good suggestions.

Joe

Fri, 14 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help, program crashes

Quote:

>I have written a program in MS-DOS to keep time from machine tools via a
>relay connected to the RS-232.  The program logs the start stop time for
>a job in a text file which is transfered to another computer.  The
>program works fine for an hour and a 1/2, then quits writing to disk,
>although the console appears ok.  I have compiled in BC 3.1, 4.5 and
>5.02 with the same results.  I suspect that I have a memory leak.  Does
>anyone have an suggestions on how I should track this error down.

Examine the source code. This is not the appropriate group for this

--
Craig

Manchester, NH
Civilization advances by extending the number of important
operations which we can perform without thinking about them.
  --  Alfred North Whitehead

Sat, 15 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help, program crashes

Quote:

>I have written a program in MS-DOS to keep time from machine tools via a
>relay connected to the RS-232.  The program logs the start stop time for
>a job in a text file which is transfered to another computer.  The
>program works fine for an hour and a 1/2, then quits writing to disk,
>although the console appears ok.  I have compiled in BC 3.1, 4.5 and
>5.02 with the same results.  I suspect that I have a memory leak.  Does
>anyone have an suggestions on how I should track this error down. An

As others have written it is very difficult to know what is wrong without
seeing it.  However, my one comment would be that it sounds like you have
insufficient error checking in your code for it to fail so silently and
you to only think it might be a memory leak.  Do you always check the
return value from functions such as malloc?

Keith
--
Keith A Goatman                        Medical Physics and Clinical Eng.
                                       Royal Hallamshire Hospital

Mon, 17 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help, program crashes

Quote:

>>I have written a program in MS-DOS to keep time from machine tools via a
>>relay connected to the RS-232.  The program logs the start stop time for
>>a job in a text file which is transfered to another computer.  The
>>program works fine for an hour and a 1/2, then quits writing to disk,
>>although the console appears ok.  I have compiled in BC 3.1, 4.5 and
>>5.02 with the same results.  I suspect that I have a memory leak.  Does
>>anyone have an suggestions on how I should track this error down.
>Examine the source code. This is not the appropriate group for this

I don't see that this question is off topic.  Although the questioner
mentioned what platform he is using and what his application is meant to
do doesn't make it off topic unless his actual quesion is off topic.  If
the question had been, "how do I use my serial port in protected mode
whilst holding down alt and print-screen" then it would have been, but it
wasn't.

Keith
--
Keith A Goatman                        Medical Physics and Clinical Eng.
                                       Royal Hallamshire Hospital

Mon, 17 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help, program crashes

Quote:

>>>I have written a program in MS-DOS to keep time from machine tools via a
>>>relay connected to the RS-232.  The program logs the start stop time for
>>>a job in a text file which is transfered to another computer.  The
>>>program works fine for an hour and a 1/2, then quits writing to disk,
>>>although the console appears ok.  I have compiled in BC 3.1, 4.5 and
>>>5.02 with the same results.  I suspect that I have a memory leak.  Does
>>>anyone have an suggestions on how I should track this error down.

>>Examine the source code. This is not the appropriate group for this

>I don't see that this question is off topic.

Well, hopefully, you will when I am done. :-)

The forum comp.lang.c is for discusion of the C programming language.
The forum comp.lang.c++ is for discusion of the C++ programming languge.
(No, mentioning the name of your compiler is *not* enough. In fact, if
you can't formulate the question without mentioning the name of the
compiler or platform, you sould consider posting elsewhere.) This post
is no more on topic then one such as "Why does Netscape keep crashing?"
The C++ FAQ section 5, esp. 5.8, talks about finding an appropriate
group.

Quote:
>Although the questioner
>mentioned what platform he is using and what his application is meant to
>do doesn't make it off topic unless his actual quesion is off topic.

OK. But, the need to mention the platform makes the post suspect. You
could almost create a news robot that scanned posts looking for certain
words, and then from them, predict the odds of a post being topical.
For example, if comp.lang.asm.x86 is cross posted to, the chance of
topicality approaches a number very close to zero.

Quote:
> If
>the question had been, "how do I use my serial port in protected mode
>whilst holding down alt and print-screen" then it would have been, but it
>wasn't.

No, it wasn't. But, it was still not topical. Quite often you are *not*
just making a judgement to rebuff people; I often spot a group dedicated
to the sort of question they are asking; sending them there only helps.

Quote:
>     *** Please DO NOT add my address to any mailing lists ***

(Do you find this helps ward off junk e-mail?)

--
Craig

Manchester, NH
Civilization advances by extending the number of important
operations which we can perform without thinking about them.
  --  Alfred North Whitehead

Wed, 19 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. HELP: program crash when deleting string in CCheckListBox

2. (Help!): Program crashes if user cancels internet connection

3. Program crashes(Help)

4. Help !, Crashing File reading program

5. help, simple program crashes...

6. Program (68k Mac) crashes upon exitting (need help beyond FAQ)

7. HELP with debugging a crashed program

8. Help please, simple test program crashes

9. HELP with debugging a crashed program

10. Help on program crash

11. Help- my program is crashing

12. HELP with debugging a crashed program