Getting started with sockets
Author Message
 Getting started with sockets

Hello!

I have written some simple logging CGI scripts in C, and am now having to move
them over to a round-robin machine. I'm told that to do this requires running a
daemon on one machine and using sockets to connect to it, etc.

Could someone please send me some sample code for both the client and server
that will establish a two-way connection? Or please point me in the direction
where I can obtain such code.

Thanks!

Ross Perkins
University of Texas Honors Business and Management Information Systems student

Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Getting started with sockets

Hi Ross,

My favorite book on the subject is 'Network Programming with Windows
Sockets'.  When I started doing this stuff, I looked at a lot of books
and liked this one the best by far.

Regards,
Robert

Quote:

> Hello!

> I have written some simple logging CGI scripts in C, and am now having to move
> them over to a round-robin machine. I'm told that to do this requires running a
> daemon on one machine and using sockets to connect to it, etc.

> Could someone please send me some sample code for both the client and server
> that will establish a two-way connection? Or please point me in the direction
> where I can obtain such code.

> Thanks!

> Ross Perkins
> University of Texas Honors Business and Management Information Systems student

Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Getting started with sockets

Quote:

> Hello!

> I have written some simple logging CGI scripts in C, and am now having to move
> them over to a round-robin machine. I'm told that to do this requires running a
> daemon on one machine and using sockets to connect to it, etc.

> Could someone please send me some sample code for both the client and server
> that will establish a two-way connection? Or please point me in the direction
> where I can obtain such code.

> Thanks!

> Ross Perkins
> University of Texas Honors Business and Management Information Systems student

Look at Stevens Network Programming in case UNIX is the environment that
you are doing this on....

--

char *p="char *p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34,10);}";
         main(){printf(p,34,p,34,10);}

Tue, 24 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Getting started with sockets

Quote:

>Hello!

>I have written some simple logging CGI scripts in C, and am now having to move
>them over to a round-robin machine. I'm told that to do this requires running a
>daemon on one machine and using sockets to connect to it, etc.

>Could someone please send me some sample code for both the client and server
>that will establish a two-way connection? Or please point me in the direction
>where I can obtain such code.

>Thanks!

>Ross Perkins
>University of Texas Honors Business and Management Information Systems student

What is a round-robin machine? Having a clear definition of your environment would help...

It seems that your looking more for how to write a daemon and there fore the MS book
recommended here wouldn't be right. Ditto with Stevens book, who doesn't even
discuss CGI programming. (To the best of my memory...)

Fri, 27 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Getting started with sockets

Quote:

> What is a round-robin machine? Having a clear definition of your environment would help...

It's more commenly known as a record player. You set it to the slowest speed,
take the robin (carefully) and place it on the record player. Now switch it on
and there you go.

But we do not want to be cruel to animals so we do it only once per robin.

Stephan

Fri, 27 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Getting started with sockets

2. Getting Started With Windows Sockets

3. Socket Programming: How to get started

4. (Q)Process have multi thread after Socket started

5. Book for Getting Started in VS.Net?

6. Getting Started

7. Getting Started

8. newbie question - gcc under linux, getting started

9. Getting started in windows programming

10. Getting started to write a email client

11. Please forgive my greenery, just getting started

12. getting started on multitasking...