pattern matching algorithm
Author Message
 pattern matching algorithm

I am looking for a powerful pattern matching algorithm. Any recommendations?
Thanks.

Mon, 06 Mar 1995 03:59:00 GMT
 pattern matching algorithm

Quote:
>I am looking for a powerful pattern matching algorithm. Any recommendations?

You mean "pattern matching" as in "regular expressions"?  If so, there's
plenty of theoretical (as well as practical (ie, compilable code)) available
for your parusal.

Two theoretical works you might find useful are

_Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools_ by Aho, Sethi & Ullman (aka
  "The Red Dragon Book").  Chapter 3 is all about regular expressions, and
  how to construct their associated DFAs. (ISBN 0-201-10088-6)

_Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages, and Computation_ by Hopcroft
  and Ullman.  This is probably one of the canonical theoretical works
  in the field of membership recognition and computability.  This covers
  such important results as the pumping lemma, and the Rabin-Scott theorem.
  (ISBN 0-201-02988-X)

If you're looking for source code, I'd recommend the usual methods:
  - query archie
  - check the comp.sources.misc/unix archives
  - post to comp/alt.sources.wanted

I believe there's some code for dealing with regular expressions out there
written by Henry Spencer.  The FAQ may mention this, and where to find it,
so you should proably check that, too.

--
--- jumbo shrimp --- pretty ugly --- awfully nice --- constant change ---

Mon, 06 Mar 1995 04:15:36 GMT

1. Pattern-matching algorithm info wanted

2. glob pattern matching algorithm wanted

3. Algorithm : pattern matching

4. Regular Expressions/Pattern Matching/Unordered pattern

5. Pattern Matching in C -

6. Pattern Matching Tool

7. Pattern Matching in C

8. Help, Pattern used in Regex.Matches(...)

9. pattern matching and string replacement

10. help with a fast pattern matching utility requested

11. Pattern Matching in execution time

12. pattern matching with the function glob.