How to listen to a port < 1024
Author Message
 How to listen to a port < 1024

I have a program that listens to a port on an IP address.  I'd like it
to listen to port 80, but don't know how to make this happen (I understand
that ports < 1024 are somehow "restricted"...).  What's the proper way to
make this work?  Sorry if I'm posting to the incorrect newsgroup..

Sincerely,

Brian Rankin

Fri, 26 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 How to listen to a port < 1024

Quote:

>I have a program that listens to a port on an IP address.  I'd like it
>to listen to port 80, but don't know how to make this happen (I understand
>that ports < 1024 are somehow "restricted"...).  What's the proper way to
>make this work?  Sorry if I'm posting to the incorrect newsgroup..

IP/socket programming is not defined by the C language. The way you do this
is governed very much by the system you are programming on. Post to a
newsgroup relevant to your particular system e.g. comp.unix.programmer for
Unix systems.

Fri, 26 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 How to listen to a port < 1024

 >I have a program that listens to a port on an IP address.  I'd like it
 >to listen to port 80, but don't know how to make this happen (I understand
 >that ports < 1024 are somehow "restricted"...).  What's the proper way to
 >make this work?  Sorry if I'm posting to the incorrect newsgroup..

Ports below 1024 are reserved for superuser only, so run the program as
root, make it suid-root (be careful) or pick a port which is 1024+.
Btw, the correct newsgroup you're looking for is comp.unix.programmer.

                                                                robert

Sun, 28 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. please any one help me in dividing 1024 bit number with 1024 bit another number

2. char (*array_p) [1024] question

3. how to replace /e:1024 by /e:2048 ?

4. converting const char* to unsigned char[1024]

5. 1024 letters in command line

6. ETDT_ENABLETAB background repeats at 1024 pixels - aggggh

7. 1024*768 graphic

8. 1024 * 768 Resolution?

9. Misleading Disk full error when writing files beyond 32767 * 1024 bytes

10. listening port?

11. Server daemons listening on ports

12. disable listen on Com port for a variable time