Want to run another program upon exit without exec or spawn
Author Message
 Want to run another program upon exit without exec or spawn

    I want to run a memory intensive program from my C program (so exec
and spawn are not good options).  I'm on an MSDOS machine using a Borland
compiler.  I thought of stuffing the keyboard buffer with the command and
the argument and then exiting the program, but the buffer does not seem to
be preserved after exiting.
    I don't read comp.lang.c very often, so could you please forward answers
to me personally in addition to posting to the list?  Thanks in advance for
all your ideas.

Ken Voss

Mon, 29 Jan 1996 10:24:12 GMT
 Want to run another program upon exit without exec or spawn
|>     I want to run a memory intensive program from my C program (so exec
|> and spawn are not good options).  I'm on an MSDOS machine using a Borland
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wrongo.  Just use exec with the overlay option - it'll do exactly what you want
(ie. your prog will exit, and the other will start up...)

|> compiler.  I thought of stuffing the keyboard buffer with the command and
|> the argument and then exiting the program, but the buffer does not seem to
|> be preserved after exiting.
|>     I don't read comp.lang.c very often, so could you please forward answers
|> to me personally in addition to posting to the list?  Thanks in advance for
|> all your ideas.

Sorry, but mail from here is impossible, to say the best (but the address in
my .sig works fine...)

I've crossposted this to alt.msdos.programmer - please follow up there.

--

**  10 20 44 C8 42 21 08 98
**  38 40 F9 50 87 C2 1F 30     "Woof {*filter*}y woof" - Gaspode the Wonder Dog

Mon, 29 Jan 1996 23:11:11 GMT

1. Wanted: puts/gets for inetd spawned program.

2. Spawning a program without a DOS BOX loading

3. spawn, fork or exec?

4. BUG? in exec()/spawn() function family

5. spawn vs. exec

6. spawn vs. exec

7. Visual 6.0 crash upon exit ...

8. any trick to clear bool flag upon exit?

9. Exit a program with a still running thread inside

10. Running and exit from a program

11. How to make programs that run without OS?

12. Running a program without it being displayed in the Task List