Proposal: alt.binaries.examples.vb4 , alt.binaries.examples.vcpp , alt.binaries.examples.java
Author Message
 Proposal: alt.binaries.examples.vb4 , alt.binaries.examples.vcpp , alt.binaries.examples.java

Readers:

        I would like to suggest these groups (alt.binaries.examples.{vb4, vcpp, java}) for admittance into the
alt heirarchy.  If I can only make one, then I would like for that one to be alt.binaries.examples.vb4.  This
(or These) newsgroup(s) will *not* be moderated.

REASONS BEHIND ALT.BINARIES.EXAMPLES.VB4:
        I have been reading the various newsgroups devoted to Visual Basic and I see a lot of people requesting
code to learn by and wanting to post their code for others to see (and learn from or tear apart for bugs).
This is why there should be a binaries group for this purpose, for people to send their code snippets to and
for others to find code.

REASONS BEHIND ALT.BINARIES.EXAMPLES.VCPP:
        The reasons for this group are the same as for alt.binaries.examples.vb4.  There should be a binaries
group for people to upload code snippets to.

REASONS BEHIND ALT.BINARIES.EXAMPLES.JAVA:
        The reasons for this group are the same as for alt.binaries.examples.vb4.  There *should* be a binaries
group for people to upload code snippets to.  Also, java is growing as a programming language and having code
snippets in one place (ie. this newsgroup) would be an invaluable service to people who want to use java (or
javascript) in their web pages.

        I thank you for listening to this Proposal.  I would like some help creating these groups...so please,
email me your comments.  Also, if someone could email me on how to actually send the control message to create
them, I would be greatly appreciative!

Ken

Sun, 20 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Proposal: alt.binaries.examples.vb4 , alt.binaries.examples.vcpp , alt.binaries.examples.java

Quote:
> Readers:

>         I would like to suggest these groups (alt.binaries.examples.{vb4, vcpp,
>  java}) for admittance into the
> alt heirarchy.  If I can only make one, then I would like for that one to be
>  alt.binaries.examples.vb4.  This
> (or These) newsgroup(s) will *not* be moderated.

> REASONS BEHIND ALT.BINARIES.EXAMPLES.VB4:

Hang on.. Perhaps just  alt.binaries.examples.vbasic

Don't limit it to VB4, there are a LOT of VB3 users! :) and VBDOS users too!
Or even better an  alt.binaries.basic..

I think comp.binaries.basic sounds better actually. :^)

Cheers :)
--
Peter Cooper

Wed, 23 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Proposal: alt.binaries.examples.vb4 , alt.binaries.examples.vcpp , alt.binaries.examples.java
Hmmm ... Though a noble thought, why can't code snippets be posted in the
existing programming groups?  Now if you wanted to send large binary posts
or DLLs or something that might be a different problem - but unless I slept
through a programming class somewhere VB4, VC++ and Java all use ASCII
compatible source code...

-----

*   Association of Shareware Professionals - EMail the above addresses, or  *
*            visit our home page - http://www.asp-shareware.org/            *
*                 I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees.                    *
************** But I speak NOT for anyone else, if you please ***************

Wed, 23 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Proposal: alt.binaries.examples.vb4 , alt.binaries.examples.vcpp , alt.binaries.examples.java

Quote:
> Hmmm ... Though a noble thought, why can't code snippets be posted in the
> existing programming groups?  Now if you wanted to send large binary posts
> or DLLs or something that might be a different problem - but unless I slept
> through a programming class somewhere VB4, VC++ and Java all use ASCII
> compatible source code...

Large ascii posts are just as bad as large binary posts.

Also, VB forms at least have a binary section, even if you do save as text.
From what I recall, c.l.b.v.m already has small posts of source, just like
in _any_ language group.  However, large programs are not welcome.

Oh, it should be `vb', not `vb4'.  vb3 is superior to vb4 im many ways, ime.
There is no reason to put versioning in newsgroup names -- what are you
going to do when vb5 comes out?  Add yet _another_ newsgroup to the 15000?

You could probably create a `proper' group, like comp.sources.ms-windows ?
Then create something else for Java.

.splitbung
--
* TQ 1.0 * The 'Just So Quotes'.
It is a sobering thought, for example, that when Mozart was my age, he had

Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00 GMT
 Proposal: alt.binaries.examples.vb4 , alt.binaries.examples.vcpp , alt.binaries.examples.java

Quote:
>Readers:
>    I would like to suggest these groups (alt.binaries.examples.{vb4, vcpp, java})
> for admittance into the alt heirarchy.  If I can only make one, then I would
> like for that one to be alt.binaries.examples.vb4.  This
>(or These) newsgroup(s) will *not* be moderated.

Wouldn't a conforming USENET name be alt.binaries.vb.examples ? You know,
greater level of detail as you go along. Then there's the "examples" part
-- what the difference between examples and other source? Why not
alt.binaries.vb.source?

[Lots of reasons]

My only reason for NOT wanting this is that there are FTP servers around.
USENET binaries create more net traffic than FTP binaries, so there!

--
Newbiehood is not a period of time, it's a way of life.

http://www.sn.no/~balchen/
ftp://ftp.sn.no/user/balchen/

Fri, 25 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Proposal: alt.binaries.examples.vb4 , alt.binaries.examples.vcpp , alt.binaries.examples.java
What does one do with a binary example?  Disassemble it?

Fri, 25 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Proposal: alt.binaries.examples.vb4 , alt.binaries.examples.vcpp , alt.binaries.examples.java

Quote:
>What does one do with a binary example?  Disassemble it?

It's called a binary when you post a zip file.

--
Newbiehood is not a period of time, it's a way of life.

http://www.sn.no/~balchen/
ftp://ftp.sn.no/user/balchen/

Sat, 26 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Proposal: alt.binaries.examples.vb4 , alt.binaries.examples.vcpp , alt.binaries.examples.java

Quote:

>>What does one do with a binary example?  Disassemble it?
>It's called a binary when you post a zip file.

Nothing so restrictive.  In the broadest definition I can think of, a
binary is a 7-bit encoding of an 8-bit file that can be decoded to restore
the 8-bit file.

So what's a binary example (not an example of a binary), and what makes it
so special from any other kind of binary?  Have you considered using
"programming" rather than "examples"?

--
         _-<#)-=# http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~gberigan/ (Greg Berigan)
     ___/___

Sat, 26 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Proposal: alt.binaries.examples.vb4 , alt.binaries.examples.vcpp , alt.binaries.examples.java

Quote:

>-- what the difference between examples and other source? Why not
>alt.binaries.vb.source?

Or even alt.sources.vb?

--
         _-<#)-=# http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~gberigan/ (Greg Berigan)
     ___/___
  _-~_--<###)     $250,000 and two-year prison terms for using "{*filter*}, lewd,
<~c>' __--<       lascivious, {*filter*}, or indecent" language on the Internet in
 \_--=____#)      a manner intended to annoy or harass?  Watch those flames!

Sun, 27 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Proposal: alt.binaries.examples.vb4 , alt.binaries.examples.vcpp , alt.binaries.examples.java

Quote:
>>>What does one do with a binary example?  Disassemble it?
>>It's called a binary when you post a zip file.
>Nothing so restrictive.

Let me feed that to you: It was an illustration that not all things called
binaries are executables.

Quote:
>So what's a binary example (not an example of a binary)

It's an example program that in one way or another (usually by means of a
PKzip compatible zip'er) is transformed into binary file.

--
Newbiehood is not a period of time, it's a way of life.

http://www.sn.no/~balchen/
ftp://ftp.sn.no/user/balchen/

Sun, 27 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Proposal: alt.binaries.examples.vb4 , alt.binaries.examples.vcpp , alt.binaries.examples.java

Quote:
>>-- what the difference between examples and other source? Why not
>>alt.binaries.vb.source?
>Or even alt.sources.vb?

If alt.sources already exists, why not?

--
Newbiehood is not a period of time, it's a way of life.

http://www.sn.no/~balchen/
ftp://ftp.sn.no/user/balchen/

Sun, 27 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Proposal: alt.binaries.examples.vb4 , alt.binaries.examples.vcpp , alt.binaries.examples.java
Posted and emailed.  comp.lang.c++ added to Newsgroups.  Followups to
alt.config, or at least out of marginally-related comp.lang.c, please.

Quote:
>Subject: Proposal:  alt.binaries.examples.vb4 , alt.binaries.examples.vcpp , alt.binaries.examples.java

Without making any comment on the advisability of these specific proposals,
I'd like to suggest that the alt.binaries.comp.* hierarchy would be a more
appropriate place for the suggested groups than creating a new
alt.binaries.examples hierarchy.  In re: the vcpp name(s), I would also
point  out that "+" IS a legal character in newsgroup names, and is in fact
used in  the names of the major C++ newsgroups (comp.lang.c++.moderated,
comp.lang.c++, and comp.std.c++).  Perhaps "vc++" would be a better choice
than "vcpp"?  May I suggest the following names (the second column being an
alternate set of suggestions)?

EITHER:                                     OR:

alt.binaries.comp.visual-basic-4            alt.binaries.comp.vb4-examples
alt.binaries.comp.visual-c++                alt.binaries.comp.vc++-examples
alt.binaries.comp.java                      alt.binaries.comp.java-examples

Either set of names would fall within accepted newsgroup naming conventions
and requirements, and they would be somewhat clearer and better-placed than
the names currently proposed.  The alt.binaries.comp.* hierarchy, long
overdue considering the growth in number of computer-related alt.binaries.*
groups, was started earlier this year with the creation of the newsgroup
alt.binaries.comp.atari8bit.

Tue, 29 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Proposal: alt.binaries.examples.vb4 , alt.binaries.examples.vcpp , alt.binaries.examples.java

Quote:

> REASONS BEHIND ALT.BINARIES.EXAMPLES.VB4:
>    I have been reading the various newsgroups devoted to Visual Basic and I see a lot of people requesting
> code to learn by and wanting to post their code for others to see (and learn from or tear apart for bugs).
> This is why there should be a binaries group for this purpose, for people to send their code snippets to and
> for others to find code.

This is a great idea, but you might want to split it into 16 and 32-bit groups. Unless, of course, posters
specify 16 or 32 in their message header.

Fri, 02 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 18 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Wanted: Open Source ALT Example program

2. Alt-Tab/Alt-Esc Event

3. simulate a Ctrl+Alt+Del or Alt-Tab

4. Block Alt+Tab, Alt+Esc key combination

5. Alt+Tab or Alt+Esc

6. Trapping Ctrl+Alt+Del / Ctrl+Esc / Ctrl+Alt+Esc

7. Can Alt-Tab and Alt-Esc be altered?

8. disable Alt+ TAB Ctrl+ESC Ctrl+Alt+DEL key

9. PROPOSAL: alt.support.watcom

10. Binary Search Tree using dynamic memory allocation (URGENT request for example)

11. K&R binary tree example using tsearch?

12. Add binary and Substract binary