Proposal: alt.binaries.examples.vb4 , alt.binaries.examples.vcpp , alt.binaries.examples.java
Author Message
 Proposal: alt.binaries.examples.vb4 , alt.binaries.examples.vcpp , alt.binaries.examples.java

Quote:

>>So what's a binary example (not an example of a binary)
>It's an example program that in one way or another (usually by means of a
>PKzip compatible zip'er) is transformed into binary file.

Sounds like it is source code.  It is usually a bad idea to archive,
compress, and encode source code for Usenet posting as it converts
something that is human readable to something that is not human readable.
There are ways of grouping text files together in a single extractable
text archive without making them unreadable by humans.
Comp.sources.apple2 uses one.

Alt.sources.* is also a recognized high-volume hierarchy, so it isn't like
you'll be making rogue binary groups.

--
         _-<#)-=# http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~gberigan/ (Greg Berigan)
     ___/___

Sun, 04 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Proposal: alt.binaries.examples.vb4 , alt.binaries.examples.vcpp , alt.binaries.examples.java

Quote:
>Sounds like it is source code.

Probably is too.

Quote:
>It is usually a bad idea to archive,
>compress, and encode source code for Usenet posting as it converts
>something that is human readable to something that is not human readable.

The entire point is to save bandwidth when you post large files. If you zip
them and uuencode them, you'll usually save lots of space. You're reasons
for dislikeing things unreadable to humans escapes me. Usually, everything
that's stored on a disk is unreadable to humans, so you should be used to
the idea.

--
Newbiehood is not a period of time, it's a way of life.

http://www.sn.no/~balchen/
ftp://ftp.sn.no/user/balchen/

Mon, 05 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Proposal: alt.binaries.examples.vb4 , alt.binaries.examples.vcpp , alt.binaries.examples.java
G'Day All

Quote:

>Subject: Re: Proposal:  alt.binaries.examples.vb4 , alt.binaries.examples.vcpp , alt.binaries.examples.java
>Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 17:59:37 GMT

>>Sounds like it is source code.
>Probably is too.
>>It is usually a bad idea to archive,
>>compress, and encode source code for Usenet posting as it converts
>>something that is human readable to something that is not human readable.
>The entire point is to save bandwidth when you post large files. If you zip
>them and uuencode them, you'll usually save lots of space. You're reasons
>for dislikeing things unreadable to humans escapes me. Usually, everything
>that's stored on a disk is unreadable to humans, so you should be used to
>the idea.

Yes, but on an unmoderated group, that unreadable binary could be ANYTHING, a
good program, a trojan, a virus. If you post plain text source code, people
can clearly see what a program does (well many people who will altert othet
users if something is wrong), and malicious code gets caught. Binaries cannot
be so checked. Even if it is zipped, uuecoded plain text source, and it
contains malicious code, it could be downloaded and executed by unsuspecting
people before more experienced users have had a chance to check it out.

Repeat. Binaries in unmoderated groups are a hazard, due to the possibility of
spreading malicous code. If the source is too big to send as plain text, put
it on a (trusted) FTP site.

Cheers! and be careful out there. Ian

Ian Musgrave Ph.D Prince Henry's Institue of Medical Research
PO Box 5152, Clayton 3168, Australia.
Phone +61 3 550 4286 FAX +61 3 550 6125

Tue, 06 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 18 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]