Aztec C (8086 version) - producing ROMable code
Author Message
 Aztec C (8086 version) - producing ROMable code

Hi,
    Could anyone with a copy of Aztec C please tell me how to make the damn
thing create ROMable code? I've just downloaded a copy (mainly for
historical interest, secondly because I fancy having a go at making a few
PC-based add-ons with onboard drivers), but it doesn't include any
instructions of any kind. I'm currently piecing things together from Phade
Software's Aztec C-65 manpages (for the Apple ][!), but there isn't any
mention of how to write ROMable code.
I know Dunfield Micro-C can make ROMable code, but my usual compiler
(Borland C++ 4.52) appears to lack that feature.

Alternatively, if anyone wants to sell their copy of Aztec C (by Manx
Software Systems), including manual, I'd be quite interested...

Thanks.

--
Phil.

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 19 May 2004 17:20:04 GMT
 Aztec C (8086 version) - producing ROMable code

Quote:
>Hi,
>    Could anyone with a copy of Aztec C please tell me how to make the damn
>thing create ROMable code?

Wrong newsgroup, comp.lang.c is for discussing the standard C language,
noit compiler-specific issues. Try a newsgroup related to your platform
or compiler or something like comp.arch.embedded if that is relevant.

Thu, 20 May 2004 00:10:33 GMT
 Aztec C (8086 version) - producing ROMable code
On Sat, 1 Dec 2001 09:20:04 -0000, "Philip Pemberton"

Quote:

>Hi,
>    Could anyone with a copy of Aztec C please tell me how to make the damn
>thing create ROMable code? I've just downloaded a copy (mainly for
>historical interest, secondly because I fancy having a go at making a few
>PC-based add-ons with onboard drivers), but it doesn't include any
>instructions of any kind. I'm currently piecing things together from Phade
>Software's Aztec C-65 manpages (for the Apple ][!), but there isn't any
>mention of how to write ROMable code.
>I know Dunfield Micro-C can make ROMable code, but my usual compiler
>(Borland C++ 4.52) appears to lack that feature.

>Alternatively, if anyone wants to sell their copy of Aztec C (by Manx
>Software Systems), including manual, I'd be quite interested...

>Thanks.

Philip,

At the risk of being flamed out of this group, I'll try to give you
some pointers.

No compiler directly creates code for a ROM. It requires a utility
known as a locator to bind the code to a specific address range and
create the memory image. A few packages that were intended for
embedded systems development included a locator utility, and support
for it was build into the rest of the kit.

There are a number of locators available, both from the archives of
various magazines and public domain collections. My memory may not be
accurate, but there was one published, with source code, in Byte
magazine around Sep '96 with a very helpful article explaining how it
worked. I have used it to burn hardware drivers into ROM as PC BIOS
extensions, so I know it works. The article was titled "Location is
everything".

You should be able to find some help by doing a web search on "Locate
ROM compile", etc.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Thu, 20 May 2004 09:34:10 GMT

1. small-c/8086 code generator wanted

2. Need to optimize 8086 C code for size

3. Making ROMable code?

4. MSDOS C compiler that can generate ROMable codes

5. Romable Code using Symantec C/C++ HELP

6. Romable C code

7. Romable Code C Compiler

8. Q: compiling ROMable code with Borland C

9. Free 8086 C compiler

10. Searching for ansi-c-compiler for 8086

11. 8086 Interrupt handlers

12. Looking for GUI libraries for IBM 8086