Personal recommendation on C beginner book (I've read the FAQ).
Author Message
 Personal recommendation on C beginner book (I've read the FAQ).

I recently talked to a friend who asked his teacher if the 'K&R' book was a
good choice for beginning programmers, and his teacher, who refers to it as
the Holy Bible to programmers, told him that it might prove difficult for
him since he has never had any programming experience. I understand that
most programmers learned from this book, but are there any books out there
that might be more suited towards the most novice of programming novices?
I've read several negative posts towards the "C for Dummies" book, so I
guess tahts out of the question. Are there any good beginner books out
there?

Fri, 01 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Personal recommendation on C beginner book (I've read the FAQ).
hi..I have been reading C PROGRAMMING, A MODERN APPROACH, by K. N. KING,
I think its great for the beginner,I too was told that K&R was not the
best to buy
if you was just learning, so after reading lots of other peoples reviews
I went for kings book.. hope this helps.
Quote:

> I recently talked to a friend who asked his teacher if the 'K&R' book was a
> good choice for beginning programmers, and his teacher, who refers to it as
> the Holy Bible to programmers, told him that it might prove difficult for
> him since he has never had any programming experience. I understand that
> most programmers learned from this book, but are there any books out there
> that might be more suited towards the most novice of programming novices?
> I've read several negative posts towards the "C for Dummies" book, so I
> guess tahts out of the question. Are there any good beginner books out
> there?

Fri, 01 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Personal recommendation on C beginner book (I've read the FAQ).

wrote in comp.lang.c:

Quote:
> I recently talked to a friend who asked his teacher if the 'K&R' book was a
> good choice for beginning programmers, and his teacher, who refers to it as
> the Holy Bible to programmers, told him that it might prove difficult for
> him since he has never had any programming experience. I understand that
> most programmers learned from this book, but are there any books out there
> that might be more suited towards the most novice of programming novices?
> I've read several negative posts towards the "C for Dummies" book, so I
> guess tahts out of the question. Are there any good beginner books out
> there?

Paul Fitzpatrick is absolutely right.  The best book for a beginner to
programming to learn C is:

C Programming: A Modern Approach
K. N. King
W. W. Norton & Company 1996
Softcover ISBN 0393969452

After you have a little experience, K&R is still very, very good.

Jack Klein
--
Home: http://jackklein.home.att.net
FAQs for

Sat, 02 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Arrow key question ( I've read the FAQ )

2. C# book(s) for beginners - recommendations?

3. Book Recommendation for VC Beginner?

4. Beginner book recommendation?

5. Book FAQ, or recommendations please

6. Recommendation wanted for next book to read

7. Book for beginners in 'C'

8. What book to read for beginner?

9. Recommendations for a good VC++ book and MFC book

10. Recommendations for a good VC++ book and MFC book

11. a good beginner's book

12. beginner's book for C from an Engineers perspective