Off Topic Question: Please don't SPAM
Author Message
 Off Topic Question: Please don't SPAM

Hi everyone.

    I know this is off topic, but please don't spam me for it. My
question(s) is/are what is (what is the campaign against grumpiness
in c.l.c) & (what is the campaign for begrudgery in c)? are they one
in the same, or the opposing factions? i'm sure this seems like a
completely stupid question to ask, but i'm new to the group and
couldn't help but laugh a bit when i saw it. thanks everyone, and
once again, sorry for the off-topic post.

   have a good day where ever you are :)
     -marion

        "How much more is there to living now! Instead of our drab
         slogging forth and back to the fishing boats, there's a
         reason to life! We can lift ourselves out of ignorance, we
         can find ourselves as creatures of excellence and intelligence
         and skill. We can be free! We can learn to fly!"

                                from "Jonathan Livingston Seagull"
                                                        -a story

Mon, 20 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Off Topic Question: Please don't SPAM

Quote:

>     I know this is off topic, but please don't spam me for it. My
> question(s) is/are what is (what is the campaign against grumpiness
> in c.l.c) & (what is the campaign for begrudgery in c)? are they one
> in the same, or the opposing factions? i'm sure this seems like a
> completely stupid question to ask, but i'm new to the group and
> couldn't help but laugh a bit when i saw it. thanks everyone, and
> once again, sorry for the off-topic post.

The campaign against grumpiness in clc was initiated by Stephan Wilms,
either independently or inspired by Steve Summit's pleas for
civility, which seems to have been inspired in turn by the
flame war that was SN (You don't know him? Good. Your quality
of life is better than ours). Check dejanews for the past 9 months
to get the full, ugly history. I'm too lazy to do it myself :-)

The campaign for begrudgery is new, inspired by one person's
explicit desire to acknowledge a common human trait: resentment
against being corrected. Hopefully, this campaign will remain at the
level it is now - a humorous comment on Stephan's .sig.

-
Chris Kuan, BHP Information Technology

Phone : +61 2 4275 5555  Fax : +61 2 4275 5547

"A Design Pattern is something that got left out of the language"
- Richard O'Keefe

Tue, 21 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Off Topic Question: Please don't SPAM

Quote:
>Hi everyone.

>    I know this is off topic, but please don't spam me for it. My
>question(s) is/are what is (what is the campaign against grumpiness
>in c.l.c) & (what is the campaign for begrudgery in c)? are they one
>in the same, or the opposing factions?

Actually, both are heretical off-shoots of the campaign for surly
taciturnity in C, founded by me. The aim of this movement is that all
posters who are not under-graduates should either say something
useful or shut up.

You were probably unaware of this movement because of my extreme
taciturnity.

best wishes, mark s. (who, last night, kill-filed one of the most
knowledgeable guys in this group after reading 20 "This is off-topic in
comp.lang.c" messages from him.)

Tue, 21 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Off Topic Question: Please don't SPAM

Quote:

> Hi everyone.

>     I know this is off topic, but please don't spam me for it. My
> question(s) is/are what is (what is the campaign against grumpiness
> in c.l.c) & (what is the campaign for begrudgery in c)? are they one
> in the same, or the opposing factions? i'm sure this seems like a
> completely stupid question to ask, but i'm new to the group and
> couldn't help but laugh a bit when i saw it.

Same here concerning the "campaign for begrudgery": it sounded like
a fun idea and I could not help but notice a certain similarity to
the "campaign against grumpiness" :-)

This *current* "campaign against grunpiness" (I have been informed that
there were others in the olden days) was my reaction to Steve Summit
(THE *famous* author of the c.l.c FAQ) rightfully smiting the posters
of this group (at least those who deserved it) for their grumpiness.
I realized that I was part of the grumpy lot.
(I still keep a copy of his "the tone of this newsgroup" posting, mail
me if you want a copy)

The SIG was intended to serve as a constant reminder to me and to
others that grumpiness is not necessarily a good thing ;-)
It reminds me to avoid grumpiness whenever possible (yes, there are
exceptions, aren't there always ;-)

All I can say is that maybe is has done a little good in reducing
the grumpiness (that's what I hope and whish). At least I haven't
received a negative reaction to it (yet).

Quote:
> thanks everyone, and
> once again, sorry for the off-topic post.

Now *I* wouldn't call that an off-topic post :-) , but that's of
course just MHO.

Quote:
>    have a good day where ever you are :)
>      -marion

Same to you and to all other C programmer out there: have a good
day and enjoy your C

Stephan

Fri, 24 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Off Topic Question: Please don't SPAM

Quote:

> Begrudgery has nothing to do with
>         resentment against being corrected.

Perhaps not for you.

Come to think of it, in this newsgroup, we seem to have settled on
"stupidity" as the *usual* reason for begrudgery (e.g. SN, GS,
even HS) :-)

-
Chris Kuan, BHP Information Technology

Phone : +61 2 4275 5555  Fax : +61 2 4275 5547

"A Design Pattern is something that got left out of the language"
- Richard O'Keefe

Sat, 25 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Off-topic: How to react on spam postings

2. Off-Topic: Annoying spam email from DUNDAS

3. off-topic (comp.lang.c.off-topic)

4. Off-topic: Pronunciation of 'Kernighan'

5. Off Topic _But_ Please Read

6. Off Topic || Please Point Towards Help

7. off topic stuff: please advise

8. Off Topic _But_ Please Read

9. Please forgive the off-topic post

10. Off topic - but who'll notice?

11. Off topic - newsreader doesn't work...