Just wanted to say thanks...
Author Message
 Just wanted to say thanks...

Well, thanks to everybody who posted responses to my typical newbie
questions, because of them the project I was working on turned out to be
a success.
        Since I believe I forgot to mention what I was working on in all of my
posts I'll describe the project a bit.  It's a computer model of a
public transportation network.  It accounts for (at the moment) weather,
distribution of population around a metropolitan area, distribution of
calls over time (ie., morning and afternoon rush hour), and multiple
vehicle occupancy.  At the moment, without a graphical UI and not
including library code its around 1050 lines of code, fairly decent (in
my opinion) for my first program written in C.
        But anyway, back to why I'm thanking y'all.  Yesterday (the 4th) the
district science fair was held at the local university,  I took my
project a display I had finished the night before around 2 AM :).  It
lasted from 8 AM to 1 PM with a awards ceremony from 2:30-4 PM.  Let me
say that I had no clue what I was up against, I never got out side of my
room except to grab a mountain dew, use the bathroom, and visit my one
other friend that was there (interestingly he also had written a
model/simulation but his had been written in realBASIC). Well, enough
dragging it out, at the awards ceremony, to my surprise,  I won the
intel (*yuck*) best use of a personal computer award, $200, best
engineering award, $75, best use of technology (from the army
(*bleah*)), a berth in Ohio's state science fair, and, much to my
amazement, one of the two spots in the Intel International Science and
Engineering Fair (ISEF)!  Since there are only 1,000 kids from around
the world that get to go to this its kinda a big deal.  Also let me
state that I didn't have the faintest idea that I had any chance of
going... talk about an adrenaline rush :)  Anyway, ISEF is held in
Detroit this year, May 7-13.  I'm going, all expenses paid.
        All this is nice, *but*, I may need some more help as I expand upon the
program I've already written...  so if you're interested in helping me
out (especially if you've done anything with Color QuickDraw) drop me an
email or response and I'll bounce code/ideas off you as I write bugs :)

Again, thanks *SOOOOO* much for help, responses, etc.

Ben Lachman

Fri, 23 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Just wanted to say thanks...

Quote:
>Well, thanks to everybody who posted responses to my typical newbie
>questions, because of them the project I was working on turned out to be
>a success.
>    Since I believe I forgot to mention what I was working on in all of my
>posts I'll describe the project a bit.  It's a computer model of a
>public transportation network.  It accounts for (at the moment) weather,
>distribution of population around a metropolitan area, distribution of
>calls over time (ie., morning and afternoon rush hour), and multiple
>vehicle occupancy.  At the moment, without a graphical UI and not
>including library code its around 1050 lines of code, fairly decent (in
>my opinion) for my first program written in C.
>    But anyway, back to why I'm thanking y'all.  Yesterday (the 4th) the
>district science fair was held at the local university,  I took my
>project a display I had finished the night before around 2 AM :).  It
>lasted from 8 AM to 1 PM with a awards ceremony from 2:30-4 PM.  Let me
>say that I had no clue what I was up against, I never got out side of my
>room except to grab a mountain dew, use the bathroom, and visit my one
>other friend that was there (interestingly he also had written a
>model/simulation but his had been written in realBASIC). Well, enough
>dragging it out, at the awards ceremony, to my surprise,  I won the
>intel (*yuck*) best use of a personal computer award, $200, best
>engineering award, $75, best use of technology (from the army
>(*bleah*)), a berth in Ohio's state science fair, and, much to my
>amazement, one of the two spots in the Intel International Science and
>Engineering Fair (ISEF)!  Since there are only 1,000 kids from around
>the world that get to go to this its kinda a big deal.  Also let me
>state that I didn't have the faintest idea that I had any chance of
>going... talk about an adrenaline rush :)  Anyway, ISEF is held in
>Detroit this year, May 7-13.  I'm going, all expenses paid.
>    All this is nice, *but*, I may need some more help as I expand upon the
>program I've already written...  so if you're interested in helping me
>out (especially if you've done anything with Color QuickDraw) drop me an
>email or response and I'll bounce code/ideas off you as I write bugs :)

>Again, thanks *SOOOOO* much for help, responses, etc.

>Ben Lachman

Wow, I wasn't sure who you were, so I just did a search on deja.com,
and I remembered a lot of the messages you posted (and there were a
lot!).  I even answered one of them.

Congratulations on all your winnings etc.

GW

Sat, 24 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. just wanted to say thanks

2. Just want to say "Many thank ..."

3. Another rookie seeking guidance...says thanks!

4. DDX_Int - Compiler says undeclared, I say it is.

5. Web site wanted! thanks

6. Thanks: wanting an int in a string

7. ThinkC : Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you !!!

8. PLEASE PLEASE...THANKS THANKS!!

9. \n (10) WANTED, \r\n (13,10) NOT WANTED

10. Data Relationships- Code says nothing has changed

11. Cannot access enums because compiler says they are protected

12. Windows Application [MSFT what you have say?]