I am going to study "C"
Author Message
 I am going to study "C"

    On the coming Summer I am going to study "C" programming.  From your
experience please give me your  advise.  Reference books, examples of C
programming  and others.

Thu, 12 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 I am going to study "C"

Amen:

Quote:
>    On the coming Summer I am going to study "C" programming.  From your
>experience please give me your  advise.  Reference books, examples of C
>programming  and others.

The C FAQ has some good references for tutorials, books and the like.  Have you
given it a gander?
--
C-FAQ ftp sites: ftp://ftp.eskimo.com ftp://rtfm.mit.edu
Hypertext C-FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

Thu, 12 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 I am going to study "C"

Hi:

I was in your shoes a little while ago:

check out the c programming faq:  it's excellent.

Justin.

Thu, 12 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 I am going to study "C"

Quote:

>     On the coming Summer I am going to study "C" programming.  From your
> experience please give me your  advise.  Reference books, examples of C
> programming  and others.

Hi Marti & Semegne,

A good book for starters in C (if you already have some programming
experience) is:
  C Programming: A Modern Approach.
  K.N.King.
  W.W.Norton & Company, 1996.
  ISBN 0-393-96945-2

Stephan

Fri, 13 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 I am going to study "C"

: >
: >     On the coming Summer I am going to study "C" programming.  From your
: > experience please give me your  advise.  Reference books, examples of C
: > programming  and others.

HI im in your shoes right now. im taking a C programming class with
with absolutley no prior programming experience. Well its not that bad, just
get a good book, im using C How to Program, Deitel and Deitel, and put aside
a LOT of time. its a lot of fun while at the same time being very frustrating
(well all least for me when programs dont compile or you run an infinite loop
where your screen wont stop scrolling and you get booted off your system! :))
Aside from the frustrating aspects learning C has been a great experience for
myself now onto my bacterial lab report!!!
enjoy!

Fri, 13 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 I am going to study "C"

Don't buy the book such as "teach yourself C in a week" or "easy C". These
things are useless. I think "Advanced C programming in Unix Environment" is
a good book if you wish to program in the Unix system

Lan

Quote:
>     On the coming Summer I am going to study "C" programming.  From your
> experience please give me your  advise.  Reference books, examples of C
> programming  and others.

Fri, 13 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 I am going to study "C"

There are tons of good books on C. I would suggest
"Teach yourself C" by Herbert Schildt from Osborne Mc Graw Hill.

Fri, 13 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 I am going to study "C"

Quote:
> There are tons of good books on C. I would suggest
> "Teach yourself C" by Herbert Schildt from Osborne Mc Graw Hill.

Bzzzt! Report to alt.flame for a week. Any book by Herbert Schildt purporting
to teach you how to program C will, assuredly, not do so.  There was a thread
just last week explaining why.  A fast search of DejaNews will produce
volumes of explanations why this is The Great Fact (tm).

Kurt Wall

--

Sat, 14 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 I am going to study "C"

Oh dear, there's always one, isn't there?

Quote:
>There are tons of good books on C.

Tons of books, not all good, though.

Quote:
>I would suggest
>"Teach yourself C" by Herbert Schildt from Osborne Mc Graw Hill.

Oops - go to the bottom of the class and re-read the FAQ to find out
the names of some truly great books. Our Herb does write good books,
but unfortunately they are not about C.

Ken
--

#include <disclaim>

c.l.c. FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

Sat, 14 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 I am going to study "C"

Quote:

>Don't buy the book such as "teach yourself C in a week" or "easy C". These
>things are useless. I think "Advanced C programming in Unix Environment" is
>a good book if you wish to program in the Unix system

It is a very good book. However it won't teach you C, rather it assumes that
you already have a reasonable understanding of C.

Sat, 14 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 I am going to study "C"

Quote:

>There are tons of good books on C. I would suggest
>"Teach yourself C" by Herbert Schildt from Osborne Mc Graw Hill.

NO!!  This is the last book anyone should buy.  If you don't find Kernighan &
Ritchie readable (I do - and it's the only C book I use regularly other than P.
J. Plauger's _Standard C Library_) then get Harbison & Steele's C book.  Don't
buy Schildt's rubbish.

Sat, 14 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 I am going to study "C"

Quote:

>>There are tons of good books on C. I would suggest
>>"Teach yourself C" by Herbert Schildt from Osborne Mc Graw Hill.

>NO!!  This is the last book anyone should buy.  If you don't find Kernighan &
>Ritchie readable (I do - and it's the only C book I use regularly other than P.
>J. Plauger's _Standard C Library_) then get Harbison & Steele's C book.  Don't
>buy Schildt's rubbish.

Harbison & Steele is hardly a "teach yourself" book -- indeed, it's even
called "C: A *Reference* Manual" (my emphasis).  K&R at least has a
tutorial section, though contrary to the impression projected by many
in this group, opinions do vary about how approachable the tutorial is.

As usual, I recommend Mike Banahan et al, "The C Book" (provided you have
at least some experience in another language, even just BASIC).

Cheers,
Richard
--
Richard Stamp
Churchill College, Cambridge

Sun, 15 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. making computer go "beep"

2. Neophyte going nuts "making INN"

3. Change associated with "Go" button application

4. Meaning/usefulness of "Go To Reference"

5. New class: "MFC class" gone

6. Help: Spin controls going "Backward"

7. remove() vrs fopen("""w")

9. Looking for "Shroud"/"Obfus"