Help "Lost Web page"
Author Message
 Help "Lost Web page"

Some time ago I accessed a page called "Top 10 ways to be Screwed by "C"". I
would now like to revisit the site; but just cannot remember where I found it.
Any help will be much appreciated.
John Ferguson

Sun, 05 Oct 2003 05:42:04 GMT
 Help "Lost Web page"

Quote:

Go type that phrase into the search engine at google.com.

--
My troubles are many They're deep as a well
I swear there ain't no heaven And I pray there ain't no hell

Sun, 05 Oct 2003 06:06:50 GMT
 Help "Lost Web page"

Quote:

> >Some time ago I accessed a page called "Top 10 ways to be Screwed by "C"". I
> >would now like to revisit the site; but just cannot remember where I found it.
> >Any help will be much appreciated.

> Go type that phrase into the search engine at google.com.

First thing it comes up with is
http://www.andromeda.com/people/ddyer/topten.html

Sun, 05 Oct 2003 06:21:39 GMT
 Help "Lost Web page"

Quote:

>Some time ago I accessed a page called "Top 10 ways to be Screwed by "C"". I
>would now like to revisit the site; but just cannot remember where I found it.
>Any help will be much appreciated.

http://www.andromeda.com/people/ddyer/topten.html

FWIW, many things on that list will
1) be caught by a decent compiler.
2) be non-issues after you've use C for about a year.

Nishad

--
"Underneath the concrete, the dream is still alive" -- Talking Heads

Sun, 05 Oct 2003 06:27:12 GMT
 Help "Lost Web page"
Jrferguson a crit dans le message

Quote:
>Some time ago I accessed a page called "Top 10 ways to be Screwed by "C"".
>would now like to revisit the site; but just cannot remember where I found

it.

Neither do I.

Is your search engine broken?
www.google.com Top 10 ways to be Screwed by "C" I feel lucky gives:
http://www.andromeda.com/people/ddyer/topten.html

--
-hs-    "spaces, not tabs"
ISO-C Library: http://secure.dinkumware.com/htm_cl/

Sun, 05 Oct 2003 06:33:47 GMT
 Help "Lost Web page"

Quote:

> >Some time ago I accessed a page called "Top 10 ways to be Screwed by "C"". I
> >would now like to revisit the site; but just cannot remember where I found it.
> >Any help will be much appreciated.

> http://www.andromeda.com/people/ddyer/topten.html

> FWIW, many things on that list will
> 1) be caught by a decent compiler.
> 2) be non-issues after you've use C for about a year.

> Nishad

> --
> "Underneath the concrete, the dream is still alive" -- Talking Heads

I agree with Nishad, most will be caught and most will be non-issues
soon.

Additionally, rule #2 is wrong:

if (a=b) c;     /* a always equals b */

if b has the value of 0 (zero), this will be false and 'c' will not
happen

#5 is SO machine specific, if you know about bits, you will know how
to make this not be a problem.

#7 is caught by any intelligent programmer, by always enveloping all
'his' if/for/do/while constructs in braces.

KT

Sun, 05 Oct 2003 09:48:52 GMT
 Help "Lost Web page"

Quote:
> > FWIW, many things on that list will
> > 1) be caught by a decent compiler.
> > 2) be non-issues after you've use C for about a year.

> I agree with Nishad, most will be caught and most will be non-issues
> soon.

I have to side with the author of this web page. He can't even
count to ten properly, so I agree that he has no business writing
programs in C.

P.J. Plauger
Dinkumware, Ltd.
http://www.dinkumware.com

Sun, 05 Oct 2003 11:02:11 GMT
 Help "Lost Web page"

Quote:
> Is your search engine broken?
> www.google.com Top 10 ways to be Screwed by "C" I feel lucky gives:
> http://www.andromeda.com/people/ddyer/topten.html

I put C not "C"

Sun, 05 Oct 2003 18:11:02 GMT
 Help "Lost Web page"

Quote:

>> >Some time ago I accessed a page called "Top 10 ways to be Screwed by "C"". I
>> >would now like to revisit the site; but just cannot remember where I found it.
>> >Any help will be much appreciated.

>> http://www.andromeda.com/people/ddyer/topten.html

>> FWIW, many things on that list will
>> 1) be caught by a decent compiler.
>> 2) be non-issues after you've use C for about a year.

>> Nishad

>> --
>> "Underneath the concrete, the dream is still alive" -- Talking Heads
> I agree with Nishad, most will be caught and most will be non-issues
> soon.

> Additionally, rule #2 is wrong:
> if (a=b) c;        /* a always equals b */
> if b has the value of 0 (zero), this will be false and 'c' will not
> happen

They didn't say anything about whether c happens or not. While what you
say is correct, the authors of the website didn't make any mistake.

In #9, they talk about "the stack", but C doesn't define the use of the
stack. The implementation can store local variables anywhere it pleases.

In #11, what are the "BYTE" and "Malloc" they are talking about?

"Products like that make me wish I could menstruate."
   - Andy Richter

Sun, 05 Oct 2003 18:21:51 GMT
 Help "Lost Web page"

Quote:

>I have to side with the author of this web page. He can't even
>count to ten properly, so I agree that he has no business writing
>programs in C.

His "Top Ten Ways to get screwed by Java" has only four, and
point 4 itself is "reserved for future expansion."

(http://www.andromeda.com/people/ddyer/topten-java.html)

(I'm sure he (Dyer) will see this as suggestive that Java
is a better language -- "I couldn't even find 10 for Java, but
I found 14 for C!"  Bleh.)

Nishad

--
"Underneath the concrete, the dream is still alive" -- Talking Heads

Mon, 06 Oct 2003 03:51:42 GMT
 Help "Lost Web page"

Quote:

> > > FWIW, many things on that list will
> > > 1) be caught by a decent compiler.
> > > 2) be non-issues after you've use C for about a year.

> > I agree with Nishad, most will be caught and most will be non-issues
> > soon.

> I have to side with the author of this web page. He can't even
> count to ten properly, so I agree that he has no business writing
> programs in C.

> P.J. Plauger
> Dinkumware, Ltd.
> http://www.dinkumware.com

With his list, it not him that's being screwed by 'C', he's the one
doing the screwing.

KT

P.S. BTW, If any post of mine has been responded to by PJP, I'm going to
save it, print it and frame it, even if he did snip most of my points ;)
I may even forward it to 10 of my closest friends!

Mon, 06 Oct 2003 07:54:00 GMT

1. Help Request - Pointer Array "Loses" Data

2. ""help with TSR""

3. "Conversion may lose significant digits..."

4. "Conversion may lose significant digits..."

5. Calling a web service from "C", not C++

6. Recommend good "c" example web sites

7. "Tools->Build Comment Web"

8. OWC "Office Web Components" and C#

9. "Page Printer" window

10. fwrite man page "error"

11. Win 98 "Invalid Page Fault", works fine on W2K, NT

12. "In Page" Error