Looking for good textbook for CS course
Author Message
 Looking for good textbook for CS course

I will be the TA for our "Advanced Prgramming" course here at Earlham next
term (which is pretty closely modeled on the ACM/IEEE's CS2).  Y'know,
the one where you introduce students to the concepts of memory managment,
data structures, big-O notation, search/sort algorithms, etc.

Anyway, I am currently working with the professor of the class to pick a
new textbook (we are currently using _Data Structures & Program Design in
C_, by Kruse, Leung, & Tondo).

The course will be taught using C, not Pascal and we will be using K&R as
the language reference.  What we need, therefore, is a textbook that can
effectively convey the concepts involved.

We are already considering _The New Turing Omnibus_ (can't remember the
author offhand) and Aho, Ashcroft, & Ullman's _Foundations of Computer
Science_.

Do any of you out there have suggestions for what we should use?  And
why?  I'm leaning toward _Foundations_ because it is an excellent book
that is useful forever.  I understand that the same is true for NTO, but I
haven't read the book yet.

Thanks.

Slainte,
-- John
|John Howard Eli Fiskio-Lasseter                             |

| Waiter, there are extreme right-wing elements in my soup.  |

Sat, 21 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Looking for a good C textbook

2. textbooks for CS sequence

3. High School C Course Textbook/Syllabus Recommendations?

4. Need C++ text for non cs major course

5. Programming Language for Undergrad Intro CS Course?

6. Wanted: advice on a good C textbook

7. Wanted: advice on a good C textbook

8. What's a good textbook?

9. I need help locating a good introductory C textbook

10. Looking for Advanced Textbook

11. Good CS Programs