Program example to cut your teeth on
Author Message
 Program example to cut your teeth on

I've been trying to think of a program example/project to cut my teeth
on any suggestions?

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 15:41:28 GMT
 Program example to cut your teeth on
By far the best program is something that YOU are interested in doing. There
are a number of reasons for this:

1) You know what you want to accomplish. You don't have to try to figure out
what the intent or the goal of the program is.
2) Likewise, at each step, you can focus on the implementation and not the
"big picture" - and that's the focus you want when you are learning the
language.
3) You are motivated because it is IS something that you are interested in.

The key is to pick something that you already know how to do conceptually in
your head or on paper - at least all of the major parts. Don't set out to
write a circuit simulator unless you know how circuit simulators work. Keep
the amount of new non-programming-related knowledge that you have to amass
to a minimum.

Another key is to pick something that can be build up in stages so that you
can have something working after writing only a small amount of code - it
may be pretty brain dead but once it's working you can then add a feature at
a time and get that feature working before moving on. This keeps your
interest level and sense of accomplishment high while keeping your focus
very narrow and well-defined.

Good luck

Quote:
> I've been trying to think of a program example/project to cut my teeth
> on any suggestions?

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 18:45:38 GMT

1. Somebody asked about their program and I got cut off -- *&%#!*AOL

2. Weeping and gnashing of teeth!

3. Weeping and gnashing of teeth - Part Deux!

4. Seek is lyiing in it's teeth

5. Customized Frame Edge Lines into Saw Tooth Lines

6. Proposal: alt.binaries.examples.vb4 , alt.binaries.examples.vcpp , alt.binaries.examples.java

7. What is a good site to find example C++ programs

8. Microsoft Framework c# example print program not working on my machine

9. Exemplary ANSI C programming, an example

10. pipe program example

11. C language program with examples and output

12. Examples from: Stevens, Advanced Programming ...