GUI for simple operating system?
Author Message
 GUI for simple operating system?

I have implemented a (very) simple unix operating system using C.  I am
wondering if there is any way that I can write a graphic user interface for
it? What language (if not C) and what libraries or tools should I be looking
at? Also, is there any book teach me how to write gui programs in C?

thanks,
-tc

Sun, 15 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 GUI for simple operating system?

Quote:

>I have implemented a (very) simple unix operating system using C.  I am
>wondering if there is any way that I can write a graphic user interface for
>it?

Sure.  Write a mmap()able device driver for the OS that gives access to
a linear framebuffer.  Write a program to draw stuff on said device.

Quote:
>What language (if not C) and what libraries or tools should I be
>looking at?

Straight C/C++ is fine.

Quote:
>Also, is there any book teach me how to write gui programs in C?

Most books of this sort you'd find are likely to be aimed at writing
programs for some specific windowing system... which, unless you've got
X or something running on this, you need to write. :-)

More useful would be a general book on computer graphics; you probably
won't find an appropriate book at your local bookstore (though you
might); try searching amazon.com (or a similar site) for books on
computer graphics.

--
Scott Wood      http://darkflame.ml.org/
"In your case, a few 'find / -uid 1000 rm {} \;' are very healthy

Sat, 21 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. operating system

2. freeing malloced memory back the operating system.

3. Operating System Vs. Applications? (Abstract Milieu)

4. operating system

5. Microsoft Windows is a CIA operating system ?

6. It must be another operating system issue.

7. I wrote an operating system

8. I wrote operating system

9. ANNOUNCEMENT: PaulOS Embedded Operating System v1.0

10. Operating system program

11. Operating System Project - Resources management

12. Graphics in different Operating Systems