Where Do I Go From Here?
Author Message
 Where Do I Go From Here?

I have been learning C from the first part of the book (before you get
to the obsolete Windows stuff) that used to come with Microsoft Quick C
and compiling the sample programs using GCC. I also found a copy of
Teach Yourself C by Herbert Schildt in my local library, which seems to
cover the same material in more detail. At this point, based on either
what I have learned or what I can
look up, it seems that I can use all the basics to write programs that
receive input from the command line and print output to the screen.  I
haven't mastered the material I have already covered, of course, but as
long as I can actually use what I have already covered, I would like to
investigate programs that go beyond the command line. One thing I liked
about learning some Java a year or so ago was that one can start using
the windowing toolkit early on. So what would be a good next thing to
start working on (while still getting better at the basics)? It seems
that ncurses would allow me to go beyond the command line in Linux, GTK+
would enable me to do it for X Windows, and then there is Win32 API, the
current version, I guess, of  the Microsoft stuff in the Quick C book.
Which of these or any other possibilities would be good for some modest
ventures beyond the command line? I am stressing the "modest" part here.

Thanks in advance,

Binyomin

Sat, 24 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Where Do I Go From Here?

Quote:

> " I would like to
> > investigate programs that go beyond the command line.

> You will never do it in C.  You will have to use some compiler specific
> extensions or some additional standard, since C knows nothing about
> graphics.  Why not play around with Java if you want to draw pretty
> pictures?

Thank you for the reply. Supposing I only want to use the display
as much as  vi does? What would be a good way to learn how to
do it?

Binyomin

Sat, 24 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. How Should I go about doing this?

2. Doing something and still having the GUI go

3. Ok, how would i go about doing this?

4. how to go abt doing it?

5. why is lint going/gone?

6. System.Threading.Timer , am I doing this correctly ?

7. Threading problem. I'm doing something wrong

8. static member inheritance not doing what I want...

9. What is the common methjod of doing this in C#

10. Microsoft shouldn't have done this

11. Doing relative paths in ATL Server?!?

12. Doing .NET with C++