C Robots
Author Message
 C Robots

A long time ago, I used something called p-robots.  It allowed you to
program "robots" using a subset of Borland's Turbo Pascal.  The "robot"
would fight other "robots" based on your code.  And you could watch them
duel it out.

Well, I remember reading in a lot of the docs that p-robots was based on
c-robots, and I was kinda wondering if anyone knew of a spot on the web
where I could download it.  I've searched the web on several search engines.
I can find p-robots (searching for "pascal robots") but not c-robots.

If anyone could help me, I'd appreciate it.

ps.  I realize that this probably doesn't beling in this group, but
honestly, where should I have posted it?  And I assumed that a C programmer
might know something about a C-related program.

Thu, 12 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 C Robots

Quote:

> A long time ago, I used something called p-robots.  It allowed you to
> program "robots" using a subset of Borland's Turbo Pascal.  The "robot"
> would fight other "robots" based on your code.  And you could watch them
> duel it out.

> Well, I remember reading in a lot of the docs that p-robots was based on
> c-robots, and I was kinda wondering if anyone knew of a spot on the web
> where I could download it.  I've searched the web on several search engines.
> I can find p-robots (searching for "pascal robots") but not c-robots.

> If anyone could help me, I'd appreciate it.

> ps.  I realize that this probably doesn't beling in this group, but
> honestly, where should I have posted it?  And I assumed that a C programmer
> might know something about a C-related program.

You have brought back fond memories of PC-Robots, which once appeared on
a cover disk of the PC Plus magazine. PC-Robots was a tiny little
multitasking manager thing. You wrote your C program (according to a
fairly small bunch of rules), compiled it using (I think) Borland or MS
C, and sent it into battle against other such C programs. It was fairly
harmless fun.

It's utterly off-topic here - hard to imagine anything as atopical, in
fact - but because I'm sure you're a wonderful guy underneath, and
because I know you're never going to ask this kind of question with such
tenuous justification ever again in comp.lang.c, I'm not going to flame
you.

Unfortunately, I can't help you much either.

Web search for "PC Robots" or "PC-Robots" might help you. Failing that,
you could ask the UK mag, PC Plus, if they have any record of it.

The chances of finding my original cover disk are appallingly close to
zero, I'm afraid. We're going back probably eight or nine years, after
all.

And no, I can't think of a better newsgroup to ask this in either. (But
that doesn't mean this is the right one.)

Have you tried google?

--

Richard Heathfield

42 K&R Answers: http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/kandr2/index.html (55
to go)

Fri, 13 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 C Robots

Quote:

> Well, I remember reading in a lot of the docs that p-robots was based
on
> c-robots, and I was kinda wondering if anyone knew of a spot on the
web
> where I could download it.  I've searched the web on several search
engines.
> I can find p-robots (searching for "pascal robots") but not c-robots.

Try this:-

http://malaga.math.uni-augsburg.de/~schaefer/pcrob/

J.

--
"Imperfect software for an imperfect world"

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Fri, 13 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 C Robots
On Sun, 25 Jun 2000 20:03:17 -0700, that hoopy frood Glen Brinkerhoff
scribbled the following:

Quote:
>A long time ago, I used something called p-robots.  It allowed you to
>program "robots" using a subset of Borland's Turbo Pascal.  The "robot"
>would fight other "robots" based on your code.  And you could watch them
>duel it out.

>Well, I remember reading in a lot of the docs that p-robots was based on
>c-robots, and I was kinda wondering if anyone knew of a spot on the web
>where I could download it.  I've searched the web on several search engines.
>I can find p-robots (searching for "pascal robots") but not c-robots.

>If anyone could help me, I'd appreciate it.

>ps.  I realize that this probably doesn't beling in this group, but
>honestly, where should I have posted it?  And I assumed that a C programmer
>might know something about a C-related program.

Try Google (at www.google.com).  I just did a search for "C-Robots"
and it turned up lots of interesting stuff.

--
Chris Mears
ICQ: 36697123

Fri, 13 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 C Robots

Quote:

> Well, I remember reading in a lot of the docs that p-robots was based on
> c-robots, and I was kinda wondering if anyone knew of a spot on the web

C-robots used an interpreter to pre-emptively multitask several C
programs, each running robot code.

IIRC, it was a very loose dialect of C. No pointers. No arrays. No
structures. Just the basic loops, mathematical operations and
int variables.

if (i==0) {b=a0;}
else if (i==1) {b=a1;}
else if (i==2) {b=a2;}

I often make plans to inject life into the genre, but looking at the
lists posted to comp.programming.contests, it's a crowded market.

Bill, aka SNIPER.

(F'ups set to comp.programming.contests)

Sat, 14 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 C Robots

Quote:
>> Well, I remember reading in a lot of the docs that p-robots was based on
>> c-robots, and I was kinda wondering if anyone knew of a spot on the web
>C-robots used an interpreter to pre-emptively multitask several C
>programs, each running robot code.
>IIRC, it was a very loose dialect of C. No pointers. No arrays. No
>structures. Just the basic loops, mathematical operations and
>int variables.

FWIW, I did a 'C' robots type program based on the Micro-C compiler and
C-FLEA virtual machine. It's included as a c-flea multitasking demo in my
embedded toolset demo: MC321EMB.ZIP, available from the download area of
my web site. Look for an MCROBOTS subdirectory after you have unpacked it.

It has a more complete language implementation, and a few other interesting
features - just in case anyone is interested.

Regards,

dunfield  Box 31044  Nepean Ontario Canada K2B 8S8     FAX:613-256-5821
.com      Low $ embedded SW development tools   http://www.dunfield.com

Sat, 14 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 C Robots

:> Well, I remember reading in a lot of the docs that p-robots was based on
:> c-robots, and I was kinda wondering if anyone knew of a spot on the web

: C-robots used an interpreter to pre-emptively multitask several C
: programs, each running robot code.

So it did. Each robot had one processor, and all those robots ran
simultaneously.

: IIRC, it was a very loose dialect of C. No pointers. No arrays. No
: structures. Just the basic loops, mathematical operations and
: int variables.

The name of the language was NQC (Not-Quite-C).

: if (i==0) {b=a0;}
: else if (i==1) {b=a1;}
: else if (i==2) {b=a2;}

That looks like the same code.

: I often make plans to inject life into the genre, but looking at the
: lists posted to comp.programming.contests, it's a crowded market.

I made my own "programming robots" game on the Amiga. It was called
RoboQuest. Instead of being a battle between robots, it was a
collaborational effort. The programming language was based on BASIC,
not C.

--

| Kingpriest of "The Flying Lemon Tree" G++ FR FW+ M- #80 D+ ADA N+++ |

"No, Maggie, not Aztec, Olmec! Ol-mec!"
   - Lisa Simpson

Sat, 14 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

2. Problem with programming in C/ Creating a Robot Chase Program

3. C++Robots Server (Monthly Post)

4. to mail robot or not to mailrobot?

5. Robot brains

6. C++Robots Server

7. Richard's C++Robots Server -- Monthly Post

8. C++Robots is Back!

9. robot programming

10. Two robots chasing each other

11. Richard's C++Robots Server -- Monthly Post

12. Richard's C++Robots Server -- Monthly Post