Graphics in different Operating Systems 
Author Message
 Graphics in different Operating Systems

I'm doing a program and I need to draw in any operating system(Linux
,Windows). Has someone done this before ?


Sun, 19 Sep 2004 00:19:37 GMT  
 Graphics in different Operating Systems

Quote:
> I'm doing a program and I need to draw in any operating system(Linux
> ,Windows). Has someone done this before ?

Maybe but what does this have to do with the C language? Even if you write
such software in C it will be system specific for the most part and therefore
off-topic here.


Sun, 19 Sep 2004 01:46:37 GMT  
 Graphics in different Operating Systems


Quote:
> I'm doing a program and I need to draw in any operating system(Linux
> ,Windows). Has someone done this before ?

www.libsdl.org

-Daniel



Sun, 19 Sep 2004 01:44:16 GMT  
 Graphics in different Operating Systems

Quote:

> I'm doing a program and I need to draw in any operating system(Linux
> ,Windows). Has someone done this before ?

Try java.

        david

--
If 91 were prime, it would be a counterexample to your conjecture.
    -- Bruce Wheeler



Sun, 19 Sep 2004 06:59:17 GMT  
 Graphics in different Operating Systems

Quote:

> > I'm doing a program and I need to draw in any operating system(Linux
> > ,Windows). Has someone done this before ?

> Try java.

Now this is a bit provocating, isn't this? (why do you say to the
customers to leave?).

The correct answer is to find a suitable library.

--
Ioannis

* Ioannis Vranos
* Programming pages: http://www.noicys.cjb.net
* Alternative URL: http://run.to/noicys



Sun, 19 Sep 2004 08:04:34 GMT  
 Graphics in different Operating Systems

Quote:




> > > I'm doing a program and I need to draw in any operating system(Linux
> > > ,Windows). Has someone done this before ?

> > Try java.

> Now this is a bit provocating, isn't this? (why do you say to the
> customers to leave?).

> The correct answer is to find a suitable library.

My advice is to choose a tool which suits the problem, and I assert that using
java for platform-independent graphics applications is easier than finding a C
library which works on all of the same platforms. Not to mention the fact that
OOP is (somewhat) better suited to graphics-oriented programming.

        david

--
If 91 were prime, it would be a counterexample to your conjecture.
    -- Bruce Wheeler



Sun, 19 Sep 2004 10:31:01 GMT  
 Graphics in different Operating Systems

Quote:

> I'm doing a program and I need to draw in any operating system(Linux
> ,Windows). Has someone done this before ?

*Any* operating system? Tricky. But it's not hard to find stuff that
works on both Linux and Windows. Have a look at OpenGL. (I don't suppose
they've got around to providing C bindings for Qt yet, otherwise I'd
have mentioned that too.)

--

"Usenet is a strange place." - Dennis M Ritchie, 29 July 1999.
C FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
K&R answers, C books, etc: http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton



Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:23:11 GMT  
 Graphics in different Operating Systems

Quote:




> > > > I'm doing a program and I need to draw in any operating
system(Linux
> > > > ,Windows). Has someone done this before ?

> > > Try java.

> > Now this is a bit provocating, isn't this? (why do you say to the
> > customers to leave?).

> > The correct answer is to find a suitable library.

> My advice is to choose a tool which suits the problem, and I assert
that using
> java for platform-independent graphics applications is easier than
finding a C
> library which works on all of the same platforms. Not to mention the
fact that
> OOP is (somewhat) better suited to graphics-oriented programming.

He is interested in Linux/Winblowz. QT exists on both (but has to buy
the Winblowz version). So he can happily make GUI applications for both

oversimplistic language which tries to channel anything through OO
paradigm (which it doesn't support completely). If SUN decides some day
to sell it extremelly expensively, then there will be... trouble (and
that is their purpose).

--
Ioannis

* Ioannis Vranos
* Programming pages: http://www.noicys.cjb.net
* Alternative URL: http://run.to/noicys



Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:29:12 GMT  
 Graphics in different Operating Systems

Quote:

> > My advice is to choose a tool which suits the problem, and I assert
> that using
> > java for platform-independent graphics applications is easier than
> finding a C
> > library which works on all of the same platforms. Not to mention the
> fact that
> > OOP is (somewhat) better suited to graphics-oriented programming.

> He is interested in Linux/Winblowz. QT exists on both (but has to buy
> the Winblowz version). So he can happily make GUI applications for both

> oversimplistic language which tries to channel anything through OO
> paradigm (which it doesn't support completely). If SUN decides some day
> to sell it extremelly expensively, then there will be... trouble (and
> that is their purpose).

What's the difference between using a proprietary--but free--language
versus using a proprietary--but *not* free--library. If Sun *owns* the
rights to the Java language, then there is no real reason to standardize
it because any implementation which does not work the way Sun says it
should would (probably?) break some copyright law. See, e.g., Microsoft.
Besides (going *fully* off-topic here), in what ways does Java not
completely support the OO paradigm? (Maybe you should mail me your
response, if you care to.)

        david

--
If 91 were prime, it would be a counterexample to your conjecture.
    -- Bruce Wheeler



Mon, 20 Sep 2004 01:26:36 GMT  
 Graphics in different Operating Systems

Quote:

> > He is interested in Linux/Winblowz. QT exists on both (but has to
buy
> > the Winblowz version). So he can happily make GUI applications for
both

> > oversimplistic language which tries to channel anything through OO
> > paradigm (which it doesn't support completely). If SUN decides some
day
> > to sell it extremelly expensively, then there will be... trouble
(and
> > that is their purpose).

> What's the difference between using a proprietary--but free--language
> versus using a proprietary--but *not* free--library.

The library is GPL under GNU. Also Java is not free language. It is a
proprietary language and SUN can charge a fortune for it in the future.

Quote:
> If Sun *owns* the
> rights to the Java language, then there is no real reason to
standardize
> it because any implementation which does not work the way Sun says it
> should would (probably?) break some copyright law. See, e.g.,

Microsoft.

Exactly. proprietary languages also mean that they are an intention for
user lock-in. In the past Java "run better" on Solaris. VB runs better
on Windows. I don't like them both.

Quote:
> Besides (going *fully* off-topic here), in what ways does Java not
> completely support the OO paradigm? (Maybe you should mail me your
> response, if you care to.)

Multiple inheritance is an example.

--
Ioannis

* Ioannis Vranos
* Programming pages: http://www.noicys.cjb.net
* Alternative URL: http://run.to/noicys



Mon, 20 Sep 2004 03:11:33 GMT  
 Graphics in different Operating Systems

Quote:



> > I'm doing a program and I need to draw in any operating system(Linux
> > ,Windows). Has someone done this before ?

> www.libsdl.org

We don't accept advertising spam in this newsgroup.


Tue, 21 Sep 2004 09:16:49 GMT  
 Graphics in different Operating Systems
Go to a search engine, type 'Allegro'


Quote:
> I'm doing a program and I need to draw in any operating system(Linux
> ,Windows). Has someone done this before ?



Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:06:02 GMT  
 
 [ 12 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. localtime function returns different values for different winnt operating systems

2. .NET on different operating systems

3. Why different run on different systems??

4. Why different run on different system?

5. Why different run on different system?

6. Which graphic system should I use for vector graphics

7. operating system

8. freeing malloced memory back the operating system.

9. Operating System Vs. Applications? (Abstract Milieu)

10. operating system

11. Microsoft Windows is a CIA operating system ?

12. It must be another operating system issue.

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software