getting started on multitasking...
Author Message
 getting started on multitasking...

Hello, I'm student interested in learning about multitasking
programming.

Can somebody point me to some good URLs out there? Maybe some books?
What is the best enviroment to do it? I have a few at my disposal:
Windows 3.1, Windows NT, Unix and Linux (sorry, no OS/2). While you
are at it, I have a few questions....

o       is there any difference in threads, processes and forks?
o       What does it mean to be pre-emptive?
o       How does programs like webbrowsers, word processors,
        spreadsheets benefit from multitasking?

Thanks.

Hasdi

Wed, 01 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 getting started on multitasking...

Quote:

>Hello, I'm student interested in learning about multitasking
>programming.

>Can somebody point me to some good URLs out there? Maybe some books?
>What is the best enviroment to do it? I have a few at my disposal:
>Windows 3.1, Windows NT, Unix and Linux (sorry, no OS/2). While you
>are at it, I have a few questions....

>o       is there any difference in threads, processes and forks?

*** A process is an instance of a running program. If the OS supports
*** it (OS/2 & UNIX), that process can kick off child tasks (threads).
*** Kill the parent task, and you kill its child. Kill the child and
*** the parent remains active. Boy, oh boy, are we not a {*filter*} bunch.
*** Certanily we could have come up with better terms... I have heard
*** of the term "forks" but am not knowledgeable enough to respond.

Quote:
>o       What does it mean to be pre-emptive?

*** If an OS is pre-emptive, then the OS controls how long a task can
*** hog the CPU. The opposite to "pre-emptive" is "cooperative
*** processing" wherein the task (running application) controls the
*** use of the CPU. All other programs running depend on that task to
*** relinquish the CPU.
Quote:
>o       How does programs like webbrowsers, word processors,
>        spreadsheets benefit from multitasking?

(and maybe multi-threading?)
*** Web Browsers have the ability to download GIFs while keeping their
*** hypertext active and ready. Conceivabluy, Web browsers could allow
*** you to download files while viewing other info.
*** Word processors can immediately benefit by internally repaginating
*** your doc as you type in your text or with newer software, checking
*** your spelling as you type in a word - instead of running spell check
*** later.
*** With spreadsheets, you can continue to type in data while the SS
*** re-calcs dependent formulas. Better yet, would be to have the SS
*** auto-update any linked SS cells as you continue to work.

Quote:
>Thanks.

>Hasdi

Hasdi,
I know some more knowledgable folks will reply and point you in the right
direction. Multi-tasking is a big subject with newer subtopics including
parallel processing, pipelining, etc. Good luck in this area. You
probably could specialize in multi-processing and operating systems for a
lifetime, but you better think about continuing your education.

Greg DiGiorgio

Fri, 03 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 getting started on multitasking...

: Hello, I'm student interested in learning about multitasking
: programming.

Heh heh... somebody just pointed out that I should post this in another
newsgroup. :} Thanks to all the people that have replied to me so far. :)

Hasdi

Fri, 03 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 getting started on multitasking...

Quote:
>Hello, I'm student interested in learning about multitasking
>programming.
>o   is there any difference in threads, processes and forks?
>o   What does it mean to be pre-emptive?
>o   How does programs like webbrowsers, word processors,
>    spreadsheets benefit from multitasking?

You better should post to  comp.programming.threads

H.F.S.
--
Hans Friedrich Steffani
Institut fuer Elektrische Maschinen und Antriebe

Sat, 04 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Book for Getting Started in VS.Net?

2. Getting Started

3. Getting Started

4. newbie question - gcc under linux, getting started

5. Getting started in windows programming

6. Getting started to write a email client

7. Please forgive my greenery, just getting started

8. Getting started ...

9. Getting started with sockets

10. Getting started with sockets

11. getting started

12. RPC - I need help getting started with RPC