Learining C has anyone used this product.
Author Message
 Learining C has anyone used this product.

Hi

Any Pros / Cons of this product for learing C

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Thanks
Henk

Thu, 03 Feb 2005 19:46:11 GMT
 Learining C has anyone used this product.

Quote:

> Hi

> Any Pros / Cons of this product for learing C

> http://www.vtc.com/productdetail.lasso?sku=33256

Pros: none that I can see.

Cons: no online demo available. (I tried to look at the "Hello world"
program, and it refused to let me see the movie - MOVIE, for heaven's
sake! - without my telling it a name and email address. Then it wanted
me to install QuickTime for Windows. At this point, I decided it was
more trouble than it was worth.

Forget it. It's obviously not worth the cellulose it isn't printed on,
or they'd make it easier to scrutinise. Get a good book instead.
Consider K&R2, King, or Deitel and Deitel (more or less in that order of
descending preference) for learning C. ISBNs for all those books can be
found at http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/clc/cbooks.html - go to your
local bookshop and flick through them before deciding whether to buy.

Thu, 03 Feb 2005 20:28:35 GMT
 Learining C has anyone used this product.

Quote:

> Hi

> Any Pros / Cons of this product for learing C

> http://www.vtc.com/productdetail.lasso?sku=33256

I just had a quick look at this site. After the introduction there is a
section called "A Basic C Program". By the time we get to lesson 3 of this
section, "The scanf Function", he has assumed that specifying no return
type for a function defaults to void. It actually defaults to int. So:

        main()

is actually the save as:

        int main()

but he has no return statement. He assumes that zero errors during
compiling means the program is fine.

Second, he assume that stdout is character buffered by using a printf
statement that does not end in a nweline character and there is no
fflush(stdout) after it. This is a bad assumption and shows in his 15
years of programming experience he has not used a variety of programming
environments.

Third, he starts with scanf and the address-of operator. These are areas I
would not go on the third lesson for people who have absolutely no
programming experience (which is what the introduction claims this is
for).

Fourth, he indicates that the need for <stdio.h> is needed but then backs
off and says that is too strong a statement. It is recommended when using
things like stdin, printf or scanf. In this case it is needed only because
his program will not compile with the stdin reference.

Fifth, he notes how the scanf("%d", &age); does not clear the '\n' from
the stream and this is why the getchar() call at the end of his program
does not halt. That is good. His solution, put a fflush(stdin); just
before the getchar(). This is completely wrong. He claims this to be the
"standard solution" for this problem.

By this point I quite listening to this guy. If you want to learn *ALL*
the things the comp.lang.c FAQ tells you not to do then this guy is the
perfect place to go.

---

"iqgbgxmdbjlgdv.lksrqek.n";char *strchr(const char *,int); while
(*i){j+=strchr(t,*i++)-t;j%=sizeof t-1;putchar(t[j]);}return 0;}

Fri, 04 Feb 2005 00:52:27 GMT
 Learining C has anyone used this product.

Quote:

>>Hi

>>Any Pros / Cons of this product for learing C

>>http://www.vtc.com/productdetail.lasso?sku=33256

> I just had a quick look at this site. After the introduction there is a
> section called "A Basic C Program". By the time we get to lesson 3 of this
> section, "The scanf Function", he has assumed that specifying no return
> type for a function defaults to void. It actually defaults to int. So:

>    main()

> is actually the save as:

>    int main()

> but he has no return statement. He assumes that zero errors during
> compiling means the program is fine.

> Second, he assume that stdout is character buffered by using a printf
> statement that does not end in a nweline character and there is no
> fflush(stdout) after it. This is a bad assumption and shows in his 15
> years of programming experience he has not used a variety of programming
> environments.

> Third, he starts with scanf and the address-of operator. These are areas I
> would not go on the third lesson for people who have absolutely no
> programming experience (which is what the introduction claims this is
> for).

> Fourth, he indicates that the need for <stdio.h> is needed but then backs
> off and says that is too strong a statement. It is recommended when using
> things like stdin, printf or scanf. In this case it is needed only because
> his program will not compile with the stdin reference.

> Fifth, he notes how the scanf("%d", &age); does not clear the '\n' from
> the stream and this is why the getchar() call at the end of his program
> does not halt. That is good. His solution, put a fflush(stdin); just
> before the getchar(). This is completely wrong. He claims this to be the
> "standard solution" for this problem.

> By this point I quite listening to this guy. If you want to learn *ALL*
> the things the comp.lang.c FAQ tells you not to do then this guy is the
> perfect place to go.

> ---

> "iqgbgxmdbjlgdv.lksrqek.n";char *strchr(const char *,int); while
> (*i){j+=strchr(t,*i++)-t;j%=sizeof t-1;putchar(t[j]);}return 0;}

Hi

Thanks you all for taking time to look at this product. I am glad I ask
about it.
So it seems that I have won myself a trip to the bookshop or to a
training provider.

Is there any CBT product that you can recommend.

Regards
Henk

Fri, 04 Feb 2005 01:56:28 GMT
 Learining C has anyone used this product.

Quote:

<snip>

> Thanks you all for taking time to look at this product. I am glad I ask
> about it.
> So it seems that I have won myself a trip to the bookshop or to a
> training provider.

> Is there any CBT product that you can recommend.

Why must it be CBT? The best way to learn C is to write C programs,
guided by an expert teacher (of which there are very few indeed, as you
are perhaps beginning to discover) or a really good book, such as K&R's
"The C Programming Language", 2nd edition, or King's "C Programming: A
Modern Approach", or Deitel & Deitel's "C: How to Program". All ISBNs
available from http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/clc/cbooks.html

Good Web-based tutorials? Hardly any. Only Steve Summit's and Tom Torfs'
are any good. They're certainly worth a Google search (unless someone
would oblige me with the URLs?).

Don't misunderstand - there are dozens of C tutorials on the Web. It's
just that the vast majority are worse than useless.

Fri, 04 Feb 2005 04:32:19 GMT
 Learining C has anyone used this product.
On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 21:32:19 +0100, in comp.lang.c , Richard

Quote:

><snip>

>> Thanks you all for taking time to look at this product. I am glad I ask
>> about it.
>> So it seems that I have won myself a trip to the bookshop or to a
>> training provider.

>> Is there any CBT product that you can recommend.

>Why must it be CBT? The best way to learn C is to write C programs,
>guided by an expert teacher (of which there are very few indeed, as you
>are perhaps beginning to discover) or a really good book, such as K&R's
>"The C Programming Language", 2nd edition, or King's "C Programming: A
>Modern Approach", or Deitel & Deitel's "C: How to Program". All ISBNs
>available from http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/clc/cbooks.html

one could argue that this _is_ CBT.....

--
Mark McIntyre

Fri, 04 Feb 2005 06:19:31 GMT
 Learining C has anyone used this product.

Quote:

> Why must it be CBT? The best way to learn C is to write C programs,

        Well said.   I'm in the process of learning C .  I don't know if this
would be generally recommended, but I've found it to help immensly.  I
went to a used book store & found two old books about writing programs
in Basic  - paid $3 each.  I don't know beans about Basic, but they were
full of all sorts of mathematical programs.  I study  the formulas and
try to write a C program based on them.  I've learned a lot this way.

Frank Kirk

Fri, 04 Feb 2005 10:26:30 GMT
 Learining C has anyone used this product.

Quote:

>> Why must it be CBT? The best way to learn C is to write C programs,

>     Well said.   I'm in the process of learning C .  I don't know if
> this would be generally recommended, but I've found it to help
> immensly.  I went to a used book store & found two old books about
> writing programs in Basic  - paid $3 each.  I don't know beans about
> Basic, but they were full of all sorts of mathematical programs.  I
> study  the formulas and try to write a C program based on them.  I've
> learned a lot this way.

> Frank Kirk

Thanks all I will look into the books.
Just wondering Frank you said you are in the process of learning C what
language did you use previously? Also are there any South Africans on
this List that can provide the details of a good training institution.

Regards
Henk

Sat, 05 Feb 2005 00:21:22 GMT
 Learining C has anyone used this product.

Quote:

> Just wondering Frank you said you are in the process of learning C what
> language did you use previously?

                None.  The only other programming experience I have was a one semester
course in fortran in 1971, when we had to use punch cards.  I was a CPA
for 20+ years.

  Also are there any South Africans on

Quote:
> this List that can provide the details of a good training institution.

                Can't help you there.

Frank Kirk

Sat, 05 Feb 2005 21:12:26 GMT
 Learining C has anyone used this product.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Learining C has anyone used this product.
<snip>

Quote:
> Thanks all I will look into the books.
> Just wondering Frank you said you are in the process of learning C what
> language did you use previously? Also are there any South Africans on
> this List that can provide the details of a good training institution.

UNISA has a nice curriculum ...
you can get a diploma in datametrics, which includes a C++ module

--
goose
ruse at webmail dot co dot za

Sat, 05 Feb 2005 21:52:55 GMT
 Learining C has anyone used this product.
in comp.lang.c i read:

Quote:
>UNISA has a nice curriculum ...
>you can get a diploma in datametrics, which includes a C++ module

doesn't sound like a good way to learn c.

Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:25:57 GMT
 Learining C has anyone used this product.

Quote:
> in comp.lang.c i read:

>>UNISA has a nice curriculum ...
>>you can get a diploma in datametrics, which includes a C++ module

> doesn't sound like a good way to learn c.

it isn't ... not for c++ either

--
goose
ruse at webmail dot co dot za

Tue, 08 Feb 2005 03:34:11 GMT

1. Can anyone recommend a good C/C++ development product

2. Is anyone else having this problem with VC6?

3. Anyone having SQL 7 problems w/VC++ ?

4. Anyone else having problems with Outlook Express and Microsoft groups

5. Anyone having problems with wnaspi32.dll???

7. Compile CS source code using ICodeCompiler

8. Two CS files (using namespaces)

9. Survey on using C as intro CS langauge (?)

10. Survey on using C as intro CS langa

11. Lattice C anyone using/used it ?

12. using date format having yy as century with CTime