Future of Watcom C/C++
Author Message
 Future of Watcom C/C++

I somehow doubt that there will be any more incarnations of
Watcom.  I was a decent compiler suite back in the day, but has
since been passed by a number of other packages.
If you're looking for an excellent dos/DPMI development suite,
check out DJGPP ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ).  This is port
of GNU gcc, make, gdb, etc with DPMI support that has basically
replaced the niche that Watcom filled in the DOS market.  Even
John Carmac chose it over Watcom to write Quake, so it can't be
all that bad.  Plus it's fully open source, since it's based on
gcc.
If you want something with an IDE similar to Watcom's windows
version, check out Code Warrior.  Originally on the Mac, it's
was ported over to windows a couple of years ago.
Or, if you want something for 32 bit programming, check out the
cygwin32 package from Cygnus
( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ). It's another port of
the GNU tools.  It runs quite well, and i've used it for a
number of professional programming projects.
I hope this answers your question, and points you in a
direction that might help you.

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 29 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Future of Watcom C/C++

3. Need C++ text for non cs major course

4. Future of C++ and Windows Programming :: C++

5. FUTURE SOFTWARE FUTURES

6. How to show/call Form2.cs from Form1.cs ?

7. Include code in other Cs files

9. word - automatic numbering/bold/underline/italics

10. How to Generate .cs file at Runtime

11. newbe/cs student, need help w/ code

12. Serial.cs