printf, puts, gets etc don't work when stepping into
Author Message
 printf, puts, gets etc don't work when stepping into

I am writing my first c program.
I am using Microsoft Visual C++ 6 ide.
The file has a c ending. contacts.c, so the de{*filter*} should interpret it
as a c file.

When I run my code normally, I get no problem with functions like printf
puts and gets.
However when stepping into, the degugger is asking me for the file path
eg of printf.c when it gets to a printf function.

What is going on and how do I avoid this?

Thankyou,

Jonathan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 17 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 printf, puts, gets etc don't work when stepping into

Quote:

> I am writing my first c program.
> I am using Microsoft visual c++ 6 ide.
> The file has a c ending. contacts.c, so the de{*filter*} should interpret it
> as a c file.

> When I run my code normally, I get no problem with functions like printf
> puts and gets.
> However when stepping into, the degugger is asking me for the file path
> eg of printf.c when it gets to a printf function.

> What is going on and how do I avoid this?

> Thankyou,

> Jonathan

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
> Before you buy.

<OFF-TOPIC> The de{*filter*} is trying to debug standard functions too. I
know it's annoying, but the only way I know to stop it is to either
close the .c the de{*filter*} opened, or use the ``Run to cursor'' function
to skip lines that call standard functions. </OFF-TOPIC>

Any other VC++ specific questions you have should be posted to a Windows
newsgroup..

--
_________________________________
Jordan Katz

``Who has the patch pumpkin?''

Wed, 17 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 printf, puts, gets etc don't work when stepping into

>> When I run my code normally, I get no problem with functions like printf
>> puts and gets.
>> However when stepping into, the degugger is asking me for the file path
>> eg of printf.c when it gets to a printf function.

>> What is going on and how do I avoid this?

[off-topic level 0.3]

A C compiling environment may allow program linkage with a standard C
library version that includes debug information about the functions it
implements.  Although it's usually not of any interest to debug that
library (assuming it's tested and reasonably error-free), one might be
interested in tracing the libc to O.S. interface, e.g. for performance
issues.

An other reason for using such a library version may be the fact that
it bundles in-depth assertions in its code with the said debug
information.

You have to make a distinction between compiling your programs with
debug information and linking them with a debug library.
A hint is to look at possible compiler options vs. possible link
options.  This is of course highly platform dependent.  You will have
to look at the appropriate manuals.

[/]

Quote:

> <OFF-TOPIC> The de{*filter*} is trying to debug standard functions too. I
> know it's annoying, but the only way I know to stop it is to either
> close the .c the de{*filter*} opened, or use the ``Run to cursor'' function
> to skip lines that call standard functions. </OFF-TOPIC>

--Eric

--

Fri, 19 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 printf, puts, gets etc don't work when stepping into

>>> When I run my code normally, I get no problem with functions like printf
>>> puts and gets.
>>> However when stepping into, the degugger is asking me for the file path
>>> eg of printf.c when it gets to a printf function.

>>> What is going on and how do I avoid this?

You are trying to "step into" a library function, which you don't have
hte source code for. Try the "step over" key instead.

Mark McIntyre

C- FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

Fri, 19 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 printf, puts, gets etc don't work when stepping into
Hello to all who have commented on this thread,

Quote:

> You are trying to "step into" a library function, which you don't have
> hte source code for. Try the "step over" key instead.

I just want to thank you for your comments which have cleared up this
issue.

Have a good one.

Jonathan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 20 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Why you should use puts(3) when you don't need printf(3)

2. Intellisense: DX6 interfaces (etc) don't work

3. ACCELERATOR KEYS DON'T WORK WITH OnKeyDown BUT WORK WHEN SPY++ IS RUNNING

4. HREF's to .exe's don't work

5. Linux(Yes, linux, I don't know where else to put it) .H file

6. VC7: cstdio doesn't put printf in std

7. Don't know why this doesn't work, but

8. Help Wnet API's don't seem to work under WINNT Service Control Manager

9. replacing printf with my printf, then calling C lib's printf

10. WeakReference doesn't work when step through the sample code inside a debugger

11. Don't understand why I am getting the C2236 error

12. MIDL2361 error - [vararg] with [optional] parameters don't work in VC++ .NET