need programming advice
Author Message
 need programming advice

Quote:

>My boyfriend has taught himself C++ and some Unix stuff, but he
>has never taken a formal course in such languages.  He's written
>some useful & complex programs, which professional programmers said were
>very good.  However, he's not confident that he can find a full-time job
>as a programmer.  Which counts more--classes or experience?  If he needs
>to get a master's, does it really matter where he gets it?

Experience.

If he writes good stuff, and other people see it, he will get
job offers.  That's how I got my first.

CS degrees come out of crackerjack boxes these days.

Of course, the degree isn't going to hurt one's salary, but for
a clueful employer it's by no means a sine qua non.

-Craig

Thu, 01 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 need programming advice

Quote:

>My boyfriend has taught himself C++ and some Unix stuff, but he
>has never taken a formal course in such languages.  He's written
>some useful & complex programs, which professional programmers said were
>very good.  However, he's not confident that he can find a full-time job
>as a programmer.  Which counts more--classes or experience?  If he needs
>to get a master's, does it really matter where he gets it?

Depends.  If he's going to actually do something, experience.  If he wants
an interview, maybe classes.

I used to have a lot of trouble getting jobs in programming, because I
have no formal background.  My workaround was to get on the ANSI C committee,
which lends some legitimacy to my claims.  :)

-s
--

All rights reserved.  This was not sent by my cat.  C and Unix wizard -
send mail for help, or send money for a consultation.  Visit my new ISP

Fri, 02 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 need programming advice

Quote:

> My boyfriend has taught himself C++ and some Unix stuff, but he
> has never taken a formal course in such languages.  He's written
> some useful & complex programs, which professional programmers said were
> very good.  However, he's not confident that he can find a full-time job
> as a programmer.  Which counts more--classes or experience?  If he needs
> to get a master's, does it really matter where he gets it?

In my experience, there has been a difference between college educated
programmers and ones with experience.  The employer wants to get a task
done.  However, you have to beat other prospects in getting a job.  Most
employers want to know what skills you have and how you obtained them
(proof).

When I first entered college, one of the advisors told us that we would
make more money if we graduated with our Bachellor of Science degrees
than if we waited and graduated with Ph. D.'s.  You don't need a
Master's degree to succeed.  I only have a BSCS degree.

The quality and content of your education matters more than the title.
The quality of the degree program also affects the reputation and
credibility of the educational institution.  You need not only theory,
but hands on experience in your education.  Also, there's a lot more to
learn outside of the educational arena that isn't taught.  For example,
the high technology is out in the workforce.  By the time it gets to the
university, it isn't high tech. anymore.

Also be aware of what discipline you want to pursue (by self-taught,
experience or eduction).  There are applications and embedded systems,
as well as scientific realms.  If you are going to educate yourself, you
need to be focused.

Yes, your boyfriend can find a full-time position as a programmer, but
what kind of programs will he be writing?  Does he want to pursue system
design?  Project design? Project architecture? Etc.

Just don't read one book and in 21 days, call yourself a programmer.
Let's filter out the bad quality.  The quality of everyone's tasks
effects the reputation of everybody in the field.
--
Thomas Matthews

Sat, 03 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. programming language advice needed

2. Need advice on C program

3. Need Help/Advice With This C Program...

4. New to programming...advice needed!

5. Programming advice needed

6. Program freezes with Sleep() - now i need some advice about a multi-threaded app

7. Internet programming advice needed

8. Advice needed: Alternative make programs

9. Needing advice on Wav programming

10. Need advice for video conferencing

11. TraceSwitch advice needed

12. Collection advice needed...