Windows NT and X-Windows/Motif
Author Message
 Windows NT and X-Windows/Motif

Does anyone out there have any info on using X-Windows/Motif in a
Windows NT environment running Ada 95?

Can't use s/w like Hummingbird's Xceed or Nutcracker and would rather
not pragma C or C++.  This is a tough one.  I'd appreciate any info I
can get.  Thanks.

Terry G.

Sun, 09 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows NT and X-Windows/Motif

Quote:

>Does anyone out there have any info on using X-Windows/Motif in a
>Windows NT environment running Ada 95?

>Can't use s/w like Hummingbird's Xceed or Nutcracker and would rather
>not pragma C or C++.  This is a tough one.  I'd appreciate any info I
>can get.  Thanks.

>Terry G.

Do you want to recompile the code and run and display native on NT, or simply
run the X app on a unix server but display on NT?

If the former, then investigate things like OpenInterface from Neuron Data
(horrible but it works).

If the latter then lookat XCeed or XVision or whatever. These are X Emulators
and you should realise that the actual X app runs on a remote X capable server
(eg Solaris, HPUX, OpenVMS, whatever) and simply displays locally on NT.
XVision 7 is a good product if you want a recommendation - now owned by SCO
and seems reliable. We use it on about a thousand production NT workstations
to display legacy OpenVMS apps and Solaris apps.

Mon, 10 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows NT and X-Windows/Motif

Quote:

> >Does anyone out there have any info on using X-Windows/Motif in a
> >Windows NT environment running Ada 95?

> >Can't use s/w like Hummingbird's Xceed or Nutcracker and would rather
> >not pragma C or C++.  This is a tough one.  I'd appreciate any info I
> >can get.  Thanks.

> >Terry G.

> Do you want to recompile the code and run and display native on NT, or simply
> run the X app on a unix server but display on NT?

> If the former, then investigate things like OpenInterface from Neuron Data
> (horrible but it works).

Hummingbird has a simmilar solution which works quite nicely. You just
have to keep one thing in mind: NEVER EVER INTERMIX XtAlloc and malloc
and
their deriviates. Otherwise they provide a fully functional Xt/Xm/X11
suite
which displays either on their server running on the NT box or on a
remote
X display (be it Unix or an X terminal).

-kim
Kim Frei               Tel: +45 45 99 95 99     AVS/UNIRAS A/S

                                                DK-3460 Birkerod
Opinions are mine(TM)                           Denmark

Mon, 10 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows NT and X-Windows/Motif

You could try going the other way. Running Windows NT under Motif/X.
NTrigue by Insignia Solutions allows you to run NT in an X Window on your
Motif/X system. Of course NT is actually execution on a PC box some where
else.

Rob

Quote:
> Does anyone out there have any info on using X-Windows/Motif in a
> Windows NT environment running Ada 95?

Mon, 10 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Using X / Motif to write to Java windows / canvases

2. COM in Windows NT 4 vs. Windows 2000

3. DLL loading (Windows NT vs Windows 98)

4. Windows 98 Windows NT Visual C++ V1.52 and low level graphics

5. How can I lock keyboard and mouse on Windows 9X and Windows NT/2000/XP

6. Windows NT versus Windows 2000

7. Windows NT 4.0 (sp4) versus Windows 95

8. Windows 98 vs Windows NT

9. GetTextExtent Problem: Different results in WIndows NT and Windows 95

10. can refresh bitmaps in windows 95 but works fine in windows NT

11. Create a Windows proc failure in a service App of Windows NT

12. IConfiguration->AddCustomBuildStepToFile fails on Windows 9x, but works on Windows NT