File Globbing
Author Message
 File Globbing

 >>I am looking for a file globbing routing for a Unix box.  Is there
 >>something already written, or do I have to start from scratch?  For
 >>those who do not understand what I am talking about, if the user
 >>enters something such as "ls a*b??d" it will check it against an
 >>array/list of alternatives and supply my with the correct answer.
 >
 >Try "echo *" on any UNIX shell and you'll know where to look for it.

How is that? In the binary executable /bin/sh?

I suggest he try "man glob". The glob() function is part of the POSIX.2
standard.

[ followup set to comp.unix.programmer ]
--

Sat, 12 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 File Globbing
I am looking for a file globbing routing for a Unix box.  Is there
something already written, or do I have to start from scratch?  For
those who do not understand what I am talking about, if the user
enters something such as "ls a*b??d" it will check it against an
array/list of alternatives and supply my with the correct answer.

Thanks in advance..

--

Mark Mansour                     Keywords : Amiga/Be!/Perl

B.Computing(Info Sys)            Final year computing student.

Sat, 12 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 File Globbing

Quote:
>I am looking for a file globbing routing for a Unix box.  Is there
>something already written, or do I have to start from scratch?  For
>those who do not understand what I am talking about, if the user
>enters something such as "ls a*b??d" it will check it against an
>array/list of alternatives and supply my with the correct answer.

Try "echo *" on any UNIX shell and you'll know where to look for it.

Frank
--
The famous GIICM now on line:  http://www.xs4all.nl/~falstaff/GIICM.html

Sat, 12 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 File Globbing

Quote:
> I am looking for a file globbing routing for a Unix box.  Is there
> something already written, or do I have to start from scratch?  For
> those who do not understand what I am talking about, if the user
> enters something such as "ls a*b??d" it will check it against an
> array/list of alternatives and supply my with the correct answer.

I am also interested in a routine which checks a string against a wildcard
expression.

I would _like_ to have `*', `?' and `[A-Z]' style wildcards :)

.splitbung
--
* TQ 1.0 * The 'Just So Quotes'.
Heisenburg may have slept here.

Sat, 12 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. globbing question

2. Globbing

3. putting end of file character in binary file (cutting the file short)

4. FILE(0), FILE(1), FILE(2) .....

5. HOW TO Filter Files Without File Extention in Open File Dialog Box

6. File extension filtering for the file dialog presented for file opening

7. Play WAV File From Resource File

9. File Sharing Bug(?) in File.OpenText

10. How to write rtf file of a word file using VC++

11. How to download results file from form post (In IE it generates a save file dialog)

12. write a file to a xml file