GIF or TIF C Source ?
Author Message
 GIF or TIF C Source ?

Hi !

I'm looking for some C code to display either GIFs or TIFs.  If you
have either, please e-mail me or post it here...
Thanks in advance..

Irfan

Tue, 19 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 GIF or TIF C Source ?

Quote:
>I'm looking for some C code to display either GIFs or TIFs.  If you
>have either, please e-mail me or post it here...

Here we go again --
Neither GIFS nor TIFs are part of C.
There are newsgroups for this.  Check news.announce.newuser (which you
should have already done) for info on how to find the right newsgroup.
Having found such a newsgroup, retrieve its FAQ from rtfm.mit.edu and
read it, since your question may already have been answered there.  Also
check the back traffic, for the same reason.  Only then should you post
a question to the victim newsgroup.

--

* Chicago, IL (USA)

Wed, 20 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 GIF or TIF C Source ?

Quote:

>: >I'm looking for some C code to display either GIFs or TIFs.  If you
>: >have either, please e-mail me or post it here...
>: Here we go again --
>: Neither GIFS nor TIFs are part of C.
>: --

>: * Chicago, IL (USA)
>Wrong Martin, this is the proper newsgroup for the request.  "C" source
>code was requested.  So put a sock in it.

Gosh, and I always thought that requests for sources go to
"comp.sources.wanted" or "alt.sources.wanted", and that
"comp.lang.c" was for discussions about C programming and the
C programming language. How could we fail to notice this
for all this time?

Kurt
--
| Kurt Watzka                             Phone : +49-89-2180-6254

Thu, 21 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 GIF or TIF C Source ?

: >I'm looking for some C code to display either GIFs or TIFs.  If you
: >have either, please e-mail me or post it here...

: Here we go again --
: Neither GIFS nor TIFs are part of C.
: There are newsgroups for this.  Check news.announce.newuser (which you
: should have already done) for info on how to find the right newsgroup.
: Having found such a newsgroup, retrieve its FAQ from rtfm.mit.edu and
: read it, since your question may already have been answered there.  Also
: check the back traffic, for the same reason.  Only then should you post
: a question to the victim newsgroup.

:
: --

: * Chicago, IL (USA)

Wrong Martin, this is the proper newsgroup for the request.  "C" source
code was requested.  So put a sock in it.

Thu, 21 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 GIF or TIF C Source ?

Quote:

>Wrong Martin, this is the proper newsgroup for the request.  "C" source
>code was requested.  So put a sock in it.

Not only are the "GIFs" and "TIFs" off-topic, but so are requests for
source code.  Believe it or not, there are newsgroups for requesting
sources.  Use them.  There are newsgroups for graphics.  Use them.

Could someone please send me C sources for turning the sun into a pool
of water?  Since I'm asking for "C" code, Robert J. Gonzalez assures me
that comp.lang.c is the proper newsgroup.

--

* Chicago, IL (USA)

Thu, 21 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 GIF or TIF C Source ?

Quote:

> : Skiljan Irfan
> : >I'm looking for some C code to display either GIFs or TIFs.  If you
> : >have either, please e-mail me or post it here...
> : Here we go again --
> : Neither GIFS nor TIFs are part of C.
> Wrong Martin, this is the proper newsgroup for the request.  "C" source
> code was requested.  So put a sock in it.

  Displaying GIFs or what-have-you involves:

        1) an algorithm that converts the format of the file into a format
        that a given piece of hardware displays correctly.  The hardware
        format is a question for a newsgroup dedicated to the hardware;
        algorithms for converting from one format to another are on-topic
        in newsgroups like comp.algorithms.

        2) displaying the data on the screen as a picture, which involves
        making machine- and compiler- specific calls to the API.  APIs
        are on topic in the newsgroups dedicated to the OSs they are part of.

        3) the poster would thus be better helped by receiving the
        machine format in English, the algorithm in pseudocode, and sample code
        illustrating the use of the API calls in Pascal then he would by
        posting to a newsgroup that has not figured into his problem at
        all.

  In case you're wondering, the small snippets of pseudocode/Pascal that
his problem requires can be trivially translated into C.
  And finally, where did you get the nerve to tell Mr. Ambuhl to "put a
sock in it?!"  You have obviously not bothered to take the time to
familiarize yourself with this newsgroup.  I strongly suggest you do.

/**James Robinson***********************
  "An important goal of almost every graphics program is to draw pictures on
 the screen."    -- Neider, Davis & Woo, _OpenGL_Programming_Guide_, Chapter 10

Fri, 22 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 GIF or TIF C Source ?

Quote:

>: >I'm looking for some C code to display either GIFs or TIFs.  If you
>: >have either, please e-mail me or post it here...

>: Here we go again --
>: Neither GIFS nor TIFs are part of C.
>: There are newsgroups for this.  Check news.announce.newuser (which you
>: should have already done) for info on how to find the right newsgroup.
>: Having found such a newsgroup, retrieve its FAQ from rtfm.mit.edu and
>: read it, since your question may already have been answered there.  Also
>: check the back traffic, for the same reason.  Only then should you post
>: a question to the victim newsgroup.

>:
>: --

>: * Chicago, IL (USA)

>Wrong Martin, this is the proper newsgroup for the request.  "C" source
>code was requested.  So put a sock in it.

The best bet for useful advice is actually 'comp.graphics.algorithms'.
The 'how can I decode GIF files?' question usually crops up every few
weeks (days? - I suspect that the frequency goes up just after the
beginning of the new college year -i.e. when the newest batch of students
has just learned where to find all those X rated pictures ;*) ).
Anyway, there is probably someone there (or, perhaps the faq), who
can point you towards an algorithm or C code [indeed, I know that there
is a set of 'image file format' FAQs over there].

The best time to call back here is when you can't get that code to
work - unless your problem's in the output portion, in which case you
should probably call up the newsgroup for your OS/computer.

Regards,

Simon.

Fri, 22 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. GIF or TIF C Source ?

2. picture formats for BMP, TIF, GIF etc.

3. Compile CS source code using ICodeCompiler

4. cs source code

5. does anyone have a gif/tif/jpg view C source code for DOS?

7. C source to produce GIF

8. Need Source for PCX or GIF Viewer...

9. Need source code for reading and display gif/bmp files

10. GIF Encoder/Decoder Source

11. Need gif format source file

12. Source Code convert .BMP to .GIF ?