Need C++ text for non cs major course
Author Message
 Need C++ text for non cs major course

I would appreciate suggestions on a good text for teaching C++ as a first
language to engineering technology majors. A cookbook approach would be
ok. Platform will probably be Borland.

Thanks

Hugh Garraway
CS dept
University of So MS

Mon, 28 Oct 1996 21:55:54 GMT
 Need C++ text for non cs major course

Quote:

> I would appreciate suggestions on a good text for teaching C++ as a first
> language to engineering technology majors. A cookbook approach would be
> ok. Platform will probably be Borland.

> Thanks

> Hugh Garraway
> CS dept
> University of So MS

A _very_good_ compilation of titles can be found in the comp.lang.c++
FAQ list (available in news.answers or with anonymous ftp from
RTFM.mit.edu, /pub/usenet/comp.lang.c++ .

I suggest Stroustrup and/or Lippmann, then Meyers (50 pearls of wisdom
that every C++ programmer should know...)

Maurizio Loreti
Un. of Padova, Dept. of Physics -- Padova, Italy

Tue, 29 Oct 1996 03:10:56 GMT
 Need C++ text for non cs major course

Quote:

>> I would appreciate suggestions on a good text for teaching C++ as a first
>> language to engineering technology majors. A cookbook approach would be
>> ok. Platform will probably be Borland.

>> Thanks

>> Hugh Garraway
>> CS dept
>> University of So MS

>A _very_good_ compilation of titles can be found in the comp.lang.c++
>FAQ list (available in news.answers or with anonymous ftp from
>RTFM.mit.edu, /pub/usenet/comp.lang.c++ .

>I suggest Stroustrup and/or Lippmann, then Meyers (50 pearls of wisdom
>that every C++ programmer should know...)

>Maurizio Loreti
>Un. of Padova, Dept. of Physics -- Padova, Italy

C++ as a first language to engineering technology majors?
I don't envy your task.   It certainly can't be done in one semester.

However, Atkinson and Atkinson (I do not remember the
title) have a book specifically for Borland C++.    It starts from
beginning principles, assumes no knowlege of C, and is written
in a relatively folksy, nontechnical style (probably most
appropriate to your attended audience).

However, it is (necessarily) long:  800-900 pages I think.

You might manage to teach your students C in one
semester.

Tue, 29 Oct 1996 16:21:00 GMT

1. Non-CS major C programmers

2. Looking for good textbook for CS course

3. Programming Language for Undergrad Intro CS Course?

5. C-oriented text for intro CS II

6. MAJOR ANSI C FLAW (my opinion, of course)

7. MAJOR ANSI C FLAW (my opinion, of course)

8. newbe/cs student, need help w/ code

9. resx files needed for cs - files ??

10. How to show/call Form2.cs from Form1.cs ?

11. Major help needed.