LEAP 1.0 Released 
Author Message
 LEAP 1.0 Released

Announcing the first release of LEAP - A freely available relational
database management system using the relational algebra as its query
language.

http://www.*-*-*.com/
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~e0190404/leap.html

LEAP is ideal to assist the study of databases. It is therefore
principally used as an educational tool by an ever increasing number of
educational establishments around the world. LEAP allows students who
are studying databases to experiment in a practical manner with the
relational algebra. Each of the main operators has been implemented, and
is accessible through the command line directly and clearly.

Many examples are included from popular database texts, such as
C.J.Dates "An introduction to Database Systems", which can be used from
the published text with minimal modification.

LEAP has been available in an alpha and beta release state for the last
two years. It has been in a state of advanced beta for 18 months, and
has at last reached a point of stability and functionality that makes a
final release appropriate.

LEAP includes full C source code, and is distributed under the terms of
the GNU General Public License. LEAP is directed towards Unix platforms,
and is known to work and compile without problems on: Linux, HP-UX,
Solaris, SunOs, Ultrix and Next platforms. It should work on any other
Unix system without problems. A Windows release (including a compiled
binary) is planned for the near future. Unix systems require a C
compiler to compile LEAP, and the GNU C compiler comes highly
recommended.

More information is available from the LEAP web page (see above for
URL), as well as links to ftp sites from which LEAP may be downloaded.
FTP sites are also included at the base of this announcement.

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/database/relational/leap-1.0.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/compsci/databases/leap/leap-1.0.tar.gz

A mailing list exists for announcements relating to LEAP, and for
discussions on all aspects of the program. To join the mailing list,

the body of the message. Subject lines are ignored.

LEAP may be downloaded from the following ftp archives. Note these are
extensively mirrored around the world, and have CD impressions made for
various Linux distributions (Note that LEAP is developed primarily on a
Linux machine, and is included in the Linux archives because of the free
nature of the OS. It is fully portable to other Unix systems):

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/databases/relational/leap-
1.0.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/compsci/databases/leap/leap-1.0.tar.gz
ftp://tsx.mit.edu/pub/linux/sources/usr.bin/leap-1.0.tar.gz

If you have any further questions or comments, or suggestions regarding

Followups set to comp.databases.theory

Regards,

Richard Leyton

--
Richard Leyton



Mon, 08 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 LEAP 1.0 Released

Further to this note, please be informed that the Windows version of
LEAP 1.0 is now available from:

ftp://micros.hensa.ac.uk/local/database/wleap1_0.zip

And will be available from

ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/compsci/databases/leap/wleap1_0.zip

in the next 24-48 hours.

Regards,

Richard Leyton.



Quote:
>Announcing the first release of LEAP - A freely available relational
>database management system using the relational algebra as its query
>language.

>http://www.dogbert.demon.co.uk/leap.html
>http://www.brookes.ac.uk/~e0190404/leap.html

>LEAP is ideal to assist the study of databases. It is therefore
>principally used as an educational tool by an ever increasing number of
>educational establishments around the world. LEAP allows students who
>are studying databases to experiment in a practical manner with the
>relational algebra. Each of the main operators has been implemented, and
>is accessible through the command line directly and clearly.

[snip]

Quote:
>LEAP includes full C source code, and is distributed under the terms of
>the GNU General Public License. LEAP is directed towards Unix platforms,
>and is known to work and compile without problems on: Linux, HP-UX,
>Solaris, SunOs, Ultrix and Next platforms. It should work on any other
>Unix system without problems. A Windows release (including a compiled
>binary) is planned for the near future. Unix systems require a C
>compiler to compile LEAP, and the GNU C compiler comes highly
>recommended.

[snip]

Quote:
>A mailing list exists for announcements relating to LEAP, and for
>discussions on all aspects of the program. To join the mailing list,

>the body of the message. Subject lines are ignored.

[snip]

Quote:
>If you have any further questions or comments, or suggestions regarding

>Followups set to comp.databases.theory

[snip]

--
Richard Leyton



Fri, 12 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 2 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. PRESS RELEASE: NilgiriHouse.com releases Dexter 1.0

2. PRESS RELEASE: NilgiriHouse.com releases Dexter 1.0

3. ANNOUNCE: Release of LEAP RDBMS Final Beta

4. ANNOUNCE: LEAP RDBMS (C/Unix) Source Release

5. Leap year warning - 2000 is leap year

6. Leap year warning - 2000 is NOT a leap year

7. Leap year warning - 2000 is NOT a leap y

8. Leap Year warning - 2000 **IS** a leap year

9. ANN: Maverick.NET 1.0 released

10. Announce: CodeSurfer 1.0 Release and Evaluation

11. ANNOUNCE: MSS 1.0 Beta released

12. Curry 1.0 Beta released

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software