Difference between double and long double?
Author Message
 Difference between double and long double?

What should be the difference between double and long double?  On my compiler
(Acorn C++ v5.06) there is no discernable differences.  Also the constants in
float.h are the same.

I would have expected long double to be used for IEEE extended double
precision numbers, is this correct?  Is my compiler non-ANSI standard for
not supporting it?

Thanks in advance
--
Andrew Miles

Mon, 24 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Difference between double and long double?

Quote:

>What should be the difference between double and long double?  On my compiler
>(Acorn C++ v5.06) there is no discernable differences.  Also the constants in
>float.h are the same.

That's ok.  Long double may not be smaller that double, but they need not be
larger.  On Intel platforms, long double is the same size as double for some
compilers (such as Watcom).  Many others use 10 byte floating point that is
used to represent floating point on the FPU stack - this 10 byte format is not
IEEE.

Quote:
>I would have expected long double to be used for IEEE extended double
>precision numbers, is this correct?  Is my compiler non-ANSI standard for
>not supporting it?

It is non-ANSI standard if it doesn't support long double.  It is not so merely
because it does not support your expectations.

Bill

Wed, 26 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Difference between double & long double

2. Difference between DOUBLE and double

3. Difference between DOUBLE and double

4. can long double be less precise than double?

5. epsilon for float, double long double

6. Converting long double to double

7. Internal structure of long double and double

8. diff between double and long double

9. Long long and long double

10. result of double*double is no double

11. long long integer and double precision number

12. addition long values to long double value ?