C as 2nd CS language (was Re: Languages ...
Author Message
 C as 2nd CS language (was Re: Languages ...

> Should we be talking about ADA instead?  (Don't forget the EE

Yes!  Ada is much better than Pascal for data structures (ADTs and halfway
to OOP), and especially for large programs.

Quote:
> Bengt Gallmo writes:
>Switch to Scheme, or stay with Pascal, but make sure that your students
>know C when they graduate!  You are right in that they should be able
>to pick it up on their own.  They will have to pick up other languages
>in their stride later in life.  How about just requiring them to use C
>in some project in the second half of their education, without giving
>them a regular course first?

OK what do CS departments with a Pascal-style first language actually do?
     How many teach C?
     teach UNIX?
     teach both?
     require students to pick up both?

This is a serious question: my department is trying to reduce the number
of taught units.  At present we teach Ada in CS1 (two semesters), CS2 and CS3
(one semester each).  We teach C and shell together in semester 3 and follow
with UNIX Systems Programming in semester 4 or 5.  Other later units like
Computer Graphics require C.
Please email responses and I will summarise if enough.
Rob Allen, Computer Science, Swinburne IT, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Quote:

>Telefonaktiebolaget L M Ericsson    phone:  +46 8 719 1940
>S-126 25 STOCKHOLM                  fax:    +46 8 719 3988
>SWEDEN
>The bad thing about good things is that they usually come to an end.
>The good thing about bad things is that they, also, usually come to an end.

Tue, 25 Oct 1994 15:35:48 GMT

1. SURVEY of CS depts. (languages)

2. C as First Language for CS

3. Programming Language for Undergrad Intro CS Course?

5. WTB: The C Programming Language, 2nd edition by Kernighan and Ritchie

6. WTB: The C Programming Language, 2nd edition by Kernighan and Ritchie

7. OS written in High level Language (was What's the best language to start with

8. How to show/call Form2.cs from Form1.cs ?

9. Include code in other Cs files

11. word - automatic numbering/bold/underline/italics

12. How to Generate .cs file at Runtime