really really dumb question
Author Message
 really really dumb question

i'm not a big user of the newsgroups..
where is the comp.lang.c faq? i looked at dejanews.com but couldnt find
any thing. also for some reason, my new browser wont search the
messages(get error messages)

thanks (*blush*)

bill

Fri, 11 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 really really dumb question

: i'm not a big user of the newsgroups..
: where is the comp.lang.c faq? i looked at dejanews.com but couldnt find
: any thing. also for some reason, my new browser wont search the
: messages(get error messages)

rtfm.mit.edu is the canonical site for FAQs, but Steve Summit keeps
the C FAQ on eskimo.com.  ftp to ftp.eskimo.com and look in /u/s/scs
if you have problems finding it.

Will

Fri, 11 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 really really dumb question

Quote:
>i'm not a big user of the newsgroups..
>where is the comp.lang.c faq? i looked at dejanews.com but couldnt find
>any thing. also for some reason, my new browser wont search the
>messages(get error messages)

You can find most Usenet FAQs via ftp at rtfm.mit.edu under /pub/usenet.

Fri, 11 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 really really dumb question

Quote:

> i'm not a big user of the newsgroups..

Hi Undying Lands Administrator,

Really ? You don't say ... ;-)
Well, you're starting now. And since you're new here, did you
notice the posting with the title:
   "Welcome to comp.lang.c, please read this first"
That's a very informative text, especially for new reader of this
group. It is posted weekly and should therefore be easy to find.

Quote:
> where is the comp.lang.c faq? i looked at dejanews.com but couldnt find

Amongst other very useful resources the posting mentioned above also
includes the location(s) of the comp.lang.c FAQ list. But it is also
mentioned daily in dozends of postings. Quite often in the signature
of the regulars. Ok, that's enough lecturing for one day :-) I'll
give you the FAq location below, but it's nevertheless very rewarding
to read the "Welcome" posting anyway.

You can get the FAQ at http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html or
at ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/comp.lang.c/C-FAQ-list and it gets
posted to this newsgroup and to news.answers regularly (at the
beginning of each month).

Stephan

Fri, 11 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 really really dumb question

Quote:

> You can get the FAQ at
>  http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
>     or at
> ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/comp.lang.c/C-FAQ-list

The second URL above has the Sept 5, 1996 edition.
What edition of the FAQ is contained in that first URL?

 - Larry Weiss

Sun, 13 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 really really dumb question

Quote:

> : where is the comp.lang.c faq?

> rtfm.mit.edu is the canonical site for FAQs, but Steve Summit keeps
> the C FAQ on eskimo.com.

Um, make that: "rtfm.mit.edu is the canonical site for FAQs, *and*
Steve Summit keeps a copy of the C FAQ on eskimo.com."

Sun, 13 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 really really dumb question

: > : where is the comp.lang.c faq?
: >
: > rtfm.mit.edu is the canonical site for FAQs, but Steve Summit keeps
: > the C FAQ on eskimo.com.

: Um, make that: "rtfm.mit.edu is the canonical site for FAQs, *and*
: Steve Summit keeps a copy of the C FAQ on eskimo.com."

No, make it: "rtfm.mit.edu is the canonical site for FAQs, but Steve
Summit also keeps the C FAQ on eskimo.com".

Or possibly: "rtfm.mit.edu is the canonical site for FAQs, but Steve
Summit (the keeper of the C FAQ) also has a copy on eskmo.com."

Will - keeps is a very silly word if you look at it long enough.

Mon, 14 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 really really dumb question

Quote:

> > You can get the FAQ at
> >  http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
> >     or at
> > ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/comp.lang.c/C-FAQ-list

> The second URL above has the Sept 5, 1996 edition.
> What edition of the FAQ is contained in that first URL?

Good question, that I have not (yet) thought or cared about, because I
rarely ever look at it. I prefer the text file version. A quick look at
the home page shows:
   "This collection of hypertext pages is Copyright 1995 ..."
so it seems to be an older version than the text file. Probably Steve
has not (yet) gotten around to updating it. I mean he claims that all
versions derive from the very same manuascript.

But OTOH he has not gotten around to updating the text file version
of the FAQ ... YET. Maybe he plans to do it all in one big sweep
and hopefully that will be SOON [wink wink nudge nudge].

Stephan

Mon, 14 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Thisis a really dumb question,

2. Really dumb question with creating a project......

3. Really dumb Linked List Q

4. Really dumb float/double ?

5. I really really want to turn off warnings in eVC4 SP1

6. I'm really, really, really new at this.

7. Really simple question

8. Really Simple Question

9. Really stupid question

10. Really simple question about new