Source formatters -- not the "right" solution
Author Message
 Source formatters -- not the "right" solution

Quote:
> What could be done is (oh boy, Yet Another Bright Idea): a questionnaire
> could be made addressing various points of style.  From responses, one
> could publish _Style_Today_, a book citing what _is_ used today.  Not why,
> or what should be used, but what _is_.  Then we could all see where we stand
> and go from there (or stay where we are -- whatever).

I'm trying to encourage a structured, value-neutral discussion of why people
make particular layout choices so we can build a sort of decision tree or
graph representing the space of possible layout rules. I want to do this
because I think a look at the next level up (the formation of the unconscious
metarules that steer you to a given spot on the graph) might yield really
interesting information about the 'microlevel' of how human beings do code.
--
      Eric S. Raymond                     (the mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)

      Post: 22 S. Warren Avenue, Malvern, PA 19355      Phone: (215)-296-5718

Wed, 19 May 1993 18:25:00 GMT

1. Source formatters -- not the "right" solution

2. ISO OF "C" SOURCE CODE FORMATTER

3. TreeView "cut" not exactly right

4. "Data source not found" message

5. ifstream: "source line does not match ..."

6. "C" style checker/formatter

7. Searching in "Current solution"

8. Better solution than system("ping")??

9. Better solution than system("ping")??

10. Solution to "Varargs for Macros"

11. FS: "Microsoft Olap Solutions" with CD

12. Setting not Null field to ""(empty string) does not work with CRecordset