Non-Programming Question... experience question mostly
Author Message
 Non-Programming Question... experience question mostly

So here I am a college senior, getting ready to graduate and get into
the real world.  And despite the fact that I've have 4 years of CS
schooling, am extremely intelligent, and am (in my humble opinion) a
good choice for an employee, I feel like there is so much that I just
don't understand.

And this is the useful stuff that will be used when I get a job
somewhere.  Stuff that just wasn't covered in school because it wasn't
academic enough.  Things like "Oh!  qsort() is in standard libraries!"

I'm decent at C.  I read the entire FAQ for the NG a couple days ago.
Most of the stuff wasn't new (ok, the fact that scanf() is evil was
new, but the rationale makes perfect sense).  But, in addition to all
the C programming that I've done over the last 3 years (which of
course, being a normal college class, is only, is there any "how I
should program" books or something?

Sun, 20 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Non-Programming Question... experience question mostly

Quote:

> SNIP...

> But, in addition to all
> the C programming that I've done over the last 3 years (which of
> course, being a normal college class, is only, is there any "how I
> should program" books or something?

I'd recommend reading the following:

Expert C Programming, Deep C Secrets
by Peter Van Der Linden.

The AT&T Indian Hill Recommended C Style and Coding Standards.

C Traps and Pitfalls by Andrew Koenig.

And if your doing any UNIX programming:

The 'Can't Happen or /* NOTREACHED */ or Real Programs Dump Core'
paper by Ian Darwin and Geoff Collyer.

Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment
by Richard Stevens.

This should be enough to get you going. If you follow
this newsgroup you'll gradually accumulate links to more
online C information than you could ever want.

Happy hunting,

Calum Mitchell.

Sun, 20 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Non-Programming Question... experience question mostly

Quote:

> I don't get it.  Then what world are you in now?  Do they have completely
> virtual college experiences now?

Anyone who thinks college is the "real world" has never been
in the real world! The two have nothing whatsoever in common.

Scott

Fri, 25 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Non-Programming Question... experience question mostly

Quote:
>I, for one, think college is the "real world".    I also think prison and war
>are the "real world".  How to test if you are in the real world?  Whack
>yourself on your head.      If you can feel it, then you are.

I apologize, as I was speaking in metaphor (sorta like tongues, but a
bit different).

When I say real world, I actually mean Real World.  If you've ever
done anything in academia, and then done it anywhere else, you realize
that academia is a strange place full of ideals that have questionable
tangible benefits.

:-)

Fri, 25 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Some questions and problems, mostly about malloc

2. MDI questions (mostly beg. ques)

3. Series of non-programming Questions here

4. Newbie questions for experienced C Programmers

5. Maybe simple question for experienced programmer, help!!

6. Question from an experienced C programmer

7. Three easy questions for the experienced

8. Easy Question for ppl with ATL/COM experience..

9. A question about experience(Grids)

10. simple question for experienced programmers

11. Not C program question, historical question

12. Non-specific question for the group