msvc link-error: _printf unresolved external
Author Message
 msvc link-error: _printf unresolved external

I have a linking-problem with my new version of Microsoft Visual C/C++
for Win 3.1 (student licenceses).

I have left the compiler, header and libraries on the CD as by making
normal installation.
When i compile little programs (e.g. copied from HELP-examples) like:

#include <stdio.h>

void main( void )
{
printf("......");

Quote:
}

the compiling is normal but when linking I get (debug-version or
release-version) the error: _printf unresolved external

I suppose the problem is oldnames.lib (converts old commands like getch
to ANSI-C compatible _getch ...) which thinks it is an old name and adds
the underscore, but for this command no underscore is defined.

Or perhaps the problem is in the options (real-mode, protected-mode
a.s.o.) or in the def-file which I have for real mode
CODE ... MOVEABLE DISCARDABLE
DATA ... MOVEABLE MULTIPLE

Please write me any suggestions (also) to my email-address:

Sun, 29 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 msvc link-error: _printf unresolved external

=>the compiling is normal but when linking I get (debug-version or
=>release-version) the error: _printf unresolved external

This belongs in a Windows newsgroup.

Since the answer is so short, I'll give it -

printf is not defined for Windows - there is no stdout for it to print
to.

Sun, 29 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. VC++ 7 Link Error : unresolved external symbol

2. Linking error 2019 unresolved external symbol _main when porting to .NET

3. Linking error 2019 unresolved external symbol _main ...

4. Linking Problem when trying to create ReleaseUMinDependency[error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _main]

5. Linking Errors - unresolved external symbol _SQLConnect@28

6. link error LNK2001 - unresolved external symbol

7. Templates and UnResolved External Link Error!

8. Link error.(unresolved external symbol _main)

9. NtCreateFile() unresolved external link error in VC++ 4.2

10. linking error Unresolved external symbol in eVC4

11. Unresolved external L2029 _printf

12. unresolved external problem linking dll (ObjectARX)