off topic stuff: please advise
Author Message
 off topic stuff: please advise

I know the reasons for discouraging off topic posts, and I agree
but the "accepted" policy of replying to them is surely hypocritical , not
to mention ironic

why isnt there an "accepted" policy to just ignore them .....

replying to the posts wont help anyone
replying to spam wont stop them

replying to them DOES however increase the network bandwidth wasted on
useless information which serves no purpose

so why not just ignore anything which is not a C question ......

 ?????

Mon, 08 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 off topic stuff: please advise
On Thu, 21 Oct 1999 10:42:44 +0100, "Lee Harris"

Quote:

>I know the reasons for discouraging off topic posts, and I agree
>but the "accepted" policy of replying to them is surely hypocritical , not
>to mention ironic

>why isnt there an "accepted" policy to just ignore them .....

>replying to the posts wont help anyone
>replying to spam wont stop them

>replying to them DOES however increase the network bandwidth wasted on
>useless information which serves no purpose

>so why not just ignore anything which is not a C question ......

> ?????

Some people who post off-topic questions honestly don't know that
they're off-topic.  Sure, they should have read the FAQ, and lurked
for a while... <shrug>.  If someone asks how to do such-and-such in
Unix, a short "Try comp.unix.programmer" is more helpful than silence.

Blatant commercial spam, posted knowingly in violation of
charters/netiquette/whatever is a different matter.  The best bet is
to send an email to the ISP of the offender.

Just MHO, of course.

Chris Mears

Mon, 08 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 off topic stuff: please advise

Quote:

> I know the reasons for discouraging off topic posts, and I agree
> but the "accepted" policy of replying to them is surely hypocritical , not
> to mention ironic

> why isnt there an "accepted" policy to just ignore them .....

> replying to the posts wont help anyone
> replying to spam wont stop them

> replying to them DOES however increase the network bandwidth wasted on
> useless information which serves no purpose

Lee...

Good question. I'll guess that the comp.lang.c regulars are here because
they find some fulfillment in helping other people. I'd also guess that
the answer to your question has to do with application of the golden
rule.

I'd like to suggest that, perhaps and sometimes, replying to off-topic
postings /does/ help make the world a better place. It's a judgement
call, of course, and those are difficult to codify.

I'm not really big on topicality discussions and had to ask myself:
"Shall I respond to this or not?" (Your very question!) My conclusion
was that perhaps /you/ might be helped by a reminder that newsgroups are
a very human activity - and by some affirmation that (basic assumption)
you're worth responding /to/.

Morris Dovey
West Des Moines, Iowa USA

Mon, 08 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 off topic stuff: please advise

Quote:

> I know the reasons for discouraging off topic posts, and I agree
> but the "accepted" policy of replying to them is surely hypocritical , not
> to mention ironic

We periodically see posts here like this.  This suggestion, while well
meant, is a prescription for suicide.

comp.lang.c is one of the oldest newsgroups and has survived largely
because of vigilance against off-topic posts.  Younger newsgroups
disappear or become unusable because your suggestion is unenforceable.
Some "helpful" soul will almost always respond to off-topic posts with a
(sometimes) solution.  This does nothing but reinforce the off-topic
poster's behavior and prevents him from learning where his question
would be better asked.

Quote:

> why isnt there an "accepted" policy to just ignore them .....

See above.

Quote:

> replying to the posts wont help anyone

Wrong.  It helps the newsgroup, unless you actually think it would be
better as an internet cesspool.  It helps the people who use the
newsgroup.  It helps the original poster by directing him to places
where his question is better addressed.

Quote:
> replying to spam wont stop them

This is true.  REPORTING spam does stop them.  It is a rare week when I
don't receive reports of at least 20 accounts that I have reported being
closed.

Quote:

> replying to them DOES however increase the network bandwidth wasted on
> useless information which serves no purpose

> so why not just ignore anything which is not a C question ......

>  ?????

Mon, 08 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 off topic stuff: please advise

Quote:

> This is true.  REPORTING spam does stop them.  It is a rare week when I
> don't receive reports of at least 20 accounts that I have reported being
> closed.

Yes, if you look at the full headers you can see wher the post came from.

spammer -- usually locking or killing the account.

Does this brightmail.com thing really work?

Mon, 08 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 off topic stuff: please advise
Back when I first started reading this NG, about 2 or 3 years ago, they used
to body slam off topic posters. Flame the hell out of them. "They" did it to
me. How about Dan "Poleaxe" Corbit? He lopped my head off a time or two, but
it did have the effect of making me a much better netizen, although I am far
from perfect.
I sort of regarded it as a bit of an initiation process. Like shaving the
heads of underclassmen, a hazing if you will, but one with a purpose. I came
to see it as instructive. But now I notice clc has taken on a more gentle
touch, that's fine too. But some response to off-topic stuff is ok I think
and helps in the end.
Anyway what I say and $2.99 will get the number one at McDonalds.

Henry

Quote:

>> I know the reasons for discouraging off topic posts, and I agree
>> but the "accepted" policy of replying to them is surely hypocritical ,
not
>> to mention ironic

>We periodically see posts here like this.  This suggestion, while well
>meant, is a prescription for suicide.

>comp.lang.c is one of the oldest newsgroups and has survived largely
>because of vigilance against off-topic posts.  Younger newsgroups
>disappear or become unusable because your suggestion is unenforceable.
>Some "helpful" soul will almost always respond to off-topic posts with a
>(sometimes) solution.  This does nothing but reinforce the off-topic
>poster's behavior and prevents him from learning where his question
>would be better asked.

>> why isnt there an "accepted" policy to just ignore them .....

>See above.

>> replying to the posts wont help anyone

>Wrong.  It helps the newsgroup, unless you actually think it would be
>better as an internet cesspool.  It helps the people who use the
>newsgroup.  It helps the original poster by directing him to places
>where his question is better addressed.

>> replying to spam wont stop them

>This is true.  REPORTING spam does stop them.  It is a rare week when I
>don't receive reports of at least 20 accounts that I have reported being
>closed.

>> replying to them DOES however increase the network bandwidth wasted on
>> useless information which serves no purpose

>> so why not just ignore anything which is not a C question ......

>>  ?????

>--

Mon, 08 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 off topic stuff: please advise

Quote:

> > This is true.  REPORTING spam does stop them.  It is a rare week when I
> > don't receive reports of at least 20 accounts that I have reported being
> > closed.

> Yes, if you look at the full headers you can see wher the post came from.

> spammer -- usually locking or killing the account.

> Does this brightmail.com thing really work?

Brightmail is a filtering proxy for email (not nwsgroups).  SpamCop
offers good spam reporting facilities for free; better ones if you pay a
small amount.

Tue, 09 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. off-topic (comp.lang.c.off-topic)

2. Off Topic _But_ Please Read

3. Off Topic || Please Point Towards Help

4. Off Topic Question: Please don't SPAM

5. Off Topic _But_ Please Read

6. Please forgive the off-topic post

7. Off topic - but who'll notice?

8. C++ Standard Availability (off topic)

9. Off Topic Searching NDoc Alternative for generating Documentation

10. Off topic [4X AGP and 1X Motherborad]

11. Off-topic: Pronunciation of 'Kernighan'

12. off topic