.PIF file for Borland DPMI DOS program
Author Message
 .PIF file for Borland DPMI DOS program

Hi,

        I've got a C program using Borland C/C++ 4.02 and PowerPack for
DOS DPMI.  The program is small, but loads a ton of images.  It uses
about 6Megs of Ram.  Could someone help me set up a .PIF file for this so
I could run it in Windows DOS box?

        The PowerPack manual says that the RTM uses the amount of memory
that is set by the "XMS Memory KB Limit" setting.  I think I have this
set properly, but I'm still having problems.  My program will start up
properly, but crashes after initially loading the images.  I get a "Page
Fault" error.  My program use 1024 X 768 X 64k colors and makes (direct?)
calls to the graphic card (I'm using a GENUS graphic library), perhaps
this is the problem.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lance

Fri, 06 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 .PIF file for Borland DPMI DOS program

Quote:

>Hi,
>    I've got a C program using Borland C/C++ 4.02 and PowerPack for
>DOS DPMI.  The program is small, but loads a ton of images.  It uses
>about 6Megs of Ram.  Could someone help me set up a .PIF file for this so
>I could run it in Windows DOS box?
>    The PowerPack manual says that the RTM uses the amount of memory
>that is set by the "XMS Memory KB Limit" setting.  I think I have this
>set properly, but I'm still having problems.  My program will start up
>properly, but crashes after initially loading the images.  I get a "Page
>Fault" error.  My program use 1024 X 768 X 64k colors and makes (direct?)
>calls to the graphic card (I'm using a GENUS graphic library), perhaps
>this is the problem.  Any help would be appreciated.
>Thanks,
>Lance

Lance,
        You may want to try a couple things. We currently develop our software
using the GENUS libraries also. We just completed a color rendering
program in 800x600x64k. Is your dos box maximized when you run it? I
found that the color rendering program would crash both Windows and
Windows 95 if I did not maximize the DOS box first and then run the
program. You may want to see also if your color depth has anything to
do with it. Id try 1024x768x256 VESA mode (gxVESA_105) to see if this
makes a difference. Granted your images may look awful, but, it will
give a place to start to see what the problem is.

Regards,
Walt

|                             MONU-CAD                              |
|             Designed By And For The Monument Industry             |
| Walt Silva, Head Programmer            | Phone: 607-264-3611      |
| Monumental Computer Applications, Inc. | Fax/BBS: 607-264-3307    |

| Cherry Valley, NY 13320                | Compuserve: 75720,3553   |

Mon, 09 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Overlaing a dos program in borland C 3.1 dos

2. Borland C 4.5 DPMI option?

3. Borland C++ 3.1 dpmi problem

4. Borland/DPMI & increasing available filehandles (norm 20)

5. timer interrupt under protected mode question (DPMI borland 4.5 32bit)

6. Borland C++ 5.0 and DPMI

7. VESA,DPMI,BORLAND 4.52 C++, AND INLINE ASSEMBLY

8. Borland DPMI Virtual Memory ???

9. Compiling w/DJGPP 2.6.2 (Dos), DPMI problem

10. Borland C++ 5.02 doesn't compile DOS programs

11. Implimenting a mouse in DOS C programming using Borland compiler

12. How to load a bmp in DOS program with Borland 5.0