Need help in C- newbie question
Author Message
 Need help in C- newbie question

Quote:

> I remember in basic that there was a command called locate.  You would give
> it two varaibles and it what put a ansii character on the screen at that
> location
> example locate 23,45

> is there something similar to this in C?

No.
--
"Large amounts of money tend to quench any scruples I might be having."
  -- Stephan Wilms

Thu, 04 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Need help in C- newbie question
I have just learned C, basic stuff that is.

I remember in basic that there was a command called locate.  You would give
it two varaibles and it what put a ansii character on the screen at that
location
example locate 23,45

is there something similar to this in C?
thanks for any help

Thu, 04 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Need help in C- newbie question

Quote:

> I have just learned C, basic stuff that is.
> I remember in basic that there was a command called locate.  You would give
> it two varaibles and it what put a ansii character on the screen at that
> location
> example locate 23,45

that command was most likely found in qbasic, not standard basic (does such
a beast exist?).  similarly, there will be platform-specific functions in c
to do similar things, but comp.lang.c discusses only ansi c.

figure out what platform/compiler you're using and ask on an appropriate
newsgroup.

--
              /"\                              m i k e    b u r r e l l

               X        AGAINST HTML MAIL      http://mikpos.dyndns.org
              / \

Thu, 04 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Need help in C- newbie question

Quote:
>I have just learned C, basic stuff that is.

>I remember in basic that there was a command called locate.  You would give
>it two varaibles and it what put a ansii character on the screen at that
>location
>example locate 23,45

>is there something similar to this in C?
>thanks for any help

Nope. Thats a platform-specific extension to C. You need to read up on
whatever services your C supports eg if its Windows or Unix there are
specific functions to do this kind of thing.
Mark McIntyre

C- FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

Thu, 04 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Need help in C- newbie question
 Standard C has no concept of a screen, so there is no way that you can
 do that. When you print to "standard output" using printf(), that could
 actually refer to a socket, a radio, a printer, or any "stream" output
 device. Writing to location (23,45) would make no sense on a radio. :)
 Standard C does not include device-specific output functions.

 However, there are libraries that are operating system or hardware
 dependent that will accomplish that task. On Windows you might do a
 setPixel( x, y, COLOR ), in DOS you might do locate(x,y) then
 poke(COLOR). Since it's all very operating system / hardware dependent,
 you're better of posting to a Windows or DOS development newsgroup.

  -- Ron Steedman

: I have just learned C, basic stuff that is.
:
: I remember in basic that there was a command called locate.  You would give
: it two varaibles and it what put a ansii character on the screen at that
: location
: example locate 23,45
:
: is there something similar to this in C?
: thanks for any help
:
:

Fri, 05 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

2. newbe/cs student, need help w/ code

3. Newbie question: Need help please!

4. Newbie question: Need help please!

5. Newbie question: Need help finding a particular C keyword

6. Newbie question need help!

7. Newbie Question - Need help on VC statement

8. Newbie needs urgent help, simple question

9. Newbie Question - Need help on vc statement

10. Newbie Question: Need help with scrollview

11. Newbie porting EventSample.cs to ASP.NET

12. Help C newbie need help please